Author Topic: Microsoft AntiSpyware  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Microsoft AntiSpyware
« on: January 06, 2005, 03:07:59 am »
Beta can be found here.

Anybody want to try? :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Microsoft AntiSpyware
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:45:33 am »
Eww..

They keep trying to install the "MSN Toolbar" on Windows.  I assume that's spyware. 

Anyway, I don't trust Microsoft, and I believe they said that it wasn't going to be free.

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 03:29:07 pm »
Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding over 50 ways spyware can enter your PC.

Why not just update windows or internet exploder to prevent that from happening?

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:18:50 pm »
I'm using it.. It seems nice so far.. BUT! It expires in 206 days!
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 08:56:19 am »
From Full Disclosure:

We knew that Microsoft was going to put out an anti-spyware product after they bought Giant in December, but I did not figure they could re-brand Giant’s software in under a month.  Their first shot at anti-spyware came out today – Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta).  I installed it on a test machine that I have in the office.  Just to be safe, I ran a full Spybot S&D scan and then uninstalled the resident TEA program since Microsoft AntiSpyware will install an agent if you so wish.  The only part of the installation that was strange was the “recommended” option of joining the “Spynet AntiSpyware Community” their ‘Spyware Neighborhood Watch’ that connects you to other computers running the Microsoft AntiSpyware software.  Don’t know how many people will choose that option, but to me it does not make sense to connect to a peer-to-peer network of infected computers, encrypted traffic or not.

I ran a full system scan and to my surprise, the software found some old Timbuktu and Dameware DLL’s that I thought were uninstalled a year ago.  Were the files harmful?  The tool stated that the Dameware files were low risk, but the Timbuktu files were high risk.  The tool also found “iLookup.GlobalWebSearch Browser Hijacker”, “StartNow Hyperbar Toolbar” and a bunch of “MiniBug” instances.  I was somewhat surprised since my machine was “clean” already.  I then set up two lab desktops and applied the same clean image on both of them (no anti-virus or firewall installed).  I then used IE to surf to the first ten sites Google brought up when searching for “online gambling” sites.  I then ran full system scans using Microsoft AntiSpyware on one desktop and Spybot S&D on the other machine.  Spybot found 65 objects, the Microsoft tool found 92 objects.  The results were similar except that the Microsoft tool found a few more cookies, a bunch of minibugs and something called “SearchSquire.”

While this was just a quick test to satisfy my curiosity about the Microsoft tool, my initial feeling is that the Microsoft AntiSpyware is worth a test deployment in the office.  This beta expires in July.  Hopefully the final version will be free and allow for centralized domain management.  It’s the least that Microsoft can do.

Pat Wicks

Systems and Network Engineer