Author Topic: Interested in Joining? Please read.  (Read 5569 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Interested in Joining? Please read.
« on: November 21, 2005, 06:15:44 pm »
Thanks for your interest in x86.

Lately (and this isn't true about everyone who has requested it lately), we've had some shared concern over the reasons you want to join x86.  Since this is a big part of our evaluation of candidates, it's something you should definitely include and give a lot of thought to when you're posting your request.

Here are some tips (and these are my opinions) about some things that aren't good reasons for joining:
-- Status.  x86 isn't trying to be the l33test clan out there (even though we are), and if you're that concerned about status, then this is probably the wrong guild to join.
-- It sounded cool.  x86 is more than a clan; it's a community.  If we don't know you, then we probably won't ask you to be a more "official" part of it, and we usually won't entertain your asking it of us.
-- You're a clan jumper, or it's another clan to be in.  While we certainly don't disallow people from being in multiple clans, we don't want you to just be a passing phase, and we don't want to be just another clan in your repertory.
-- You're an elite programmer.  That might be cool, but this isn't a programming clan.  It happens to be something that interests many of our members though.  See the following section for more information.

Here are some things that might be considered good reasons for joining:
-- You like a lot of our members.  If we entertain you or you like chatting with our membership, then we're more than happy to have you as a part of our community.
-- You have a lot of interests that match up with our membership.  Our clan isn't simply about programming, or web development, or security.  However, if you've been striking up discussion on these interests, chances are that our members have noticed you.
-- You enjoy good discussion and logical debate.  We enjoy logical and respectful discussions about a wide variety of opinion-based subjects, including politics and law, religion, computers (which can be just as religious as the former two!), and all kinds of other topics.  If you've been striking up discussion in these areas, chances are we've noticed you there, too!

Please note: this is NOT a guide for you to copy/paste into your "I want to join thread."

Also, please take the time to read this document put together by the illustrious Newby which will hopefully answer other questions.

x86 is like a fungus: it either grows on you or makes you sick.  We of course hope for the former, and if you've found that you've been infected, please feel free to try to join.  Remember to ask the leaders for their approval, and if you have any particularly good friends who are members/leaders, ask them to start up a candidate discussion thread for you.

Cheers!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in Joining? Please read.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 07:17:28 pm »
-- Status. x86 isn't trying to be the l33test clan out there (even though we are), and if you're that concerned about status, then this is probably the wrong guild to join.

Taking that you're in AoA and vL as well, I find that a very big statement, especially while some members or former members may think otherwise (and this is to their disadvantage).

-- It sounded cool. x86 is more than a clan; it's a community. If we don't know you, then we probably won't ask you to be a more "official" part of it, and we usually won't entertain your asking it of us.

Gamesnake and myself had a chat about this in the channel. I personally feel like 'clan' is an inappropriate term to reference to us with. I believe "group" or "community" is a more fitting term, as you have put it, and have voiced my opinion whole-heartedly. (He suggested "brotherhood" but that takes a religious/cultish connotation in my mind, which I dislike.) Thanks!

However,

x86 is like a fungus: it [...] makes you sick. [...] you've found that you've been infected [...]

Have something you'd like to tell us?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 07:21:09 pm by Quik »
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 07:30:15 pm »
Great post, 100% agreed.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 10:49:28 pm »
Good post indeed!

Gamesnake and myself had a chat about this in the channel. I personally feel like 'clan' is an inappropriate term to reference to us with. I believe "group" or "community" is a more fitting term, as you have put it, and have voiced my opinion whole-heartedly. (He suggested "brotherhood" but that takes a religious/cultish connotation in my mind, which I dislike.) Thanks!
You're right, we aren't a clan in a traditional sense.  We're a clan in the Battle.net sense.  That's where our roots are, and that's where it'll stay.  If you wish to begin referring to x86 as a Brotherhood, that's good too. 

I rather like the word Brotherhood, it reminds me of my Redemptionists :)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:32:13 pm »
Good post indeed!

You're right, we aren't a clan in a traditional sense.  We're a clan in the Battle.net sense.  That's where our roots are, and that's where it'll stay.  If you wish to begin referring to x86 as a Brotherhood, that's good too. 

I rather like the word Brotherhood, it reminds me of my Redemptionists :)
I got it! We shall be the 86th Brotherhood of the Cross.
errr... something like that...