Author Topic: Bird Watching  (Read 2093 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Bird Watching
« on: November 29, 2005, 12:49:15 pm »
It was early in the morning when the detective showed up.  He headed due east, following the snow-shoe tracks of the famous bird photographer Harvey Fowl.  Suddenly, he came upon Fowl's dead body.  He had been shot and killed by an arrow that entered his back and pierced his heart.  The detective hurried back to the cabin where Fowl was staying with a couple friends friends.  Both of them were shocked when he relayed the tragedy.  Alice kept muttering that he couldn't believe it.  She said that he told her he was going out to photograph various birds in their early morning habit.  Bob, who was counting his arrows, turned ashen white when he noticed one of them were missing.  "Something doesn't add up with your story", said the detective. 

Who was he talking to, and why?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Bird Watching
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 01:35:29 pm »
Alright, this seems like a sort of complicated answer, so I kind of doubt it's correct.  I'll give it a shot, though.

Since he's a photographer, he probably has some sense of lighting that is required in his photographs.  If he's photographing birds, he would probably be facing west (the oposite direction of the way he was heading relative to the cabin) because he wouldn't want the glare from the sun to ruin his pictures.  This would mean that the person would have come from the other direction (further west than his location) and would probably have not taken the arrow from the cabin he was walking from.

Hmm.  :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:05:54 pm »
That's right!

To quote the answer I have, "If he had, he would not have headed east.  With the sun rising in that direction, it would have been very difficult to see anything but the silhouettes of the birds, and of course impossible to photograph them"

trust

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:58:37 pm »
My answer was "due to the lighting, he would have to use flash, which would make the birds not act naturally and fly away."

Well, I got the "lighting" part right. :P