Author Topic: Digital Text CMS  (Read 44044 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Digital Text CMS (Continued from AC discussion)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 05:12:24 pm »
Why don't you two just team up?  You're doing very similiar things...

I, for one, am doing this for experience.  I have no intention for this to become some popularly used CMS or anyting.  Warrior, on the other hand, seems to want to release this (multilanguage support! :)).

I normally wouldn't mind teaming up with him (regardless of my past statements), but I'm in a bind with the amount of time I've had lately.  My school schedules in addition to the craze of applying for colleges and scholarships have been driving me up the wall lately.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 05:18:42 pm »
Well I'm trying to find a medium between widely used and not so widely used. Not trying to have this be supper dazzling. Just a simple solution to the everyday problem of building a good website.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 05:26:01 pm »
Well I'm trying to find a medium between widely used and not so widely used. Not trying to have this be supper dazzling. Just a simple solution to the everyday problem of building a good website.

Seeing as how I don't plan on releasing my CMS, I'm tailoring it around my personal wants. :]

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 08:04:51 pm »
One of you should custom-tailor one for my personal needs. ;)
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 08:33:24 pm »
One of you should custom-tailor one for my personal needs. ;)

I was thinking the same thing.  :o
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 10:45:14 am »
The way I'm programming this, it wouldn't be too hard for the user to custom tailor it to his old needs via modifications made to modules and static pages created. This thing is fully themeable and with the use of smarty for the designer you can control how your output will look in the smallest ways.

A few updates: The core now properly handles errors thrown by the page loader.
                      I have implemented an authentication class which sets a variable in the template so that users can see if you are logged in.
                     Now as Sidoh said there are some issues with what should be a template, what should be a module, and whatever.
                     I'm thinking about having the "bare" essentials as part of the core such as Authentication and User registration. But another issue comes to mind like managing user information and how to extend that with the use of modules. Perhaps write a module to dynamically fetch rows and things to update as they are added. Dunno just scribbling some thoughts down.
                    I have also started implementing my modules subsystem into the core. So far it just reads the modules directory and locates all the files needed and if it is not found then it throws and error to the core (most likely will be a fatal one too). 

Todo list:
             Design some user interfaces for when a user logs in, maybe have modules marked as "List only when logged in" or something I'll think more into this
             Fidn a way to isolate all the cores function from the modules since currently I am exposing the entire core. Perhaps create sort of a "Communication pipeline" as in Module grabs Core's anttention Module does the requested data and Module closes stream. This could be overcompliating things but whatever.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 12:31:53 am »
Update:
 Implemented simple modules by simple I mean VERY simple but effective. I might stick with this to maintain my simplistic approach to things.

I have a few bugs to fix on my todo list (No exploits just goofs) but I'm too tired to do it.
 I'll post a source code section tomorrow as soon as I get home from school.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 12:53:15 am »
Update:
 Implemented simple modules by simple I mean VERY simple but effective. I might stick with this to maintain my simplistic approach to things.

I have a few bugs to fix on my todo list (No exploits just goofs) but I'm too tired to do it.
 I'll post a source code section tomorrow as soon as I get home from school.

Dude, reply to the PM I sent you.  Fag.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 01:07:27 am »
I did, the site must not be sending them again omfg. Anyways @ the PM: Sure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 01:17:18 am »
I did, the site must not be sending them again omfg. Anyways @ the PM: Sure.

Ugh, that's so gay.

Alright, thanks.  :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 02:01:10 am »
After around 20 minutes of coding I fixed the navigational bug(s) and implemented a simple login module (To be extended on later) I'm doing some more thinking on things relating login and how other things in the future will work but that's for another time

Anyhow here's some example code of how I fixed it:

Code: [Select]
if ($DB->GetRowCount($query) == 0)
{
$Disp->assign("Nav_Count", 0);
} else {
$nav_array = array();
$i = 0;

while ($result = $DB->FetchArray($query))
{
$nav_array[$i]['name'] = $result['Name'];
$nav_array[$i]['link'] = "index.php?page=" . $result['Name'];
$i++;
}

$query = $DB->PerformQuery("SELECT ModName FROM site_mods");

while ($result = $DB->FetchArray($query))
{
$nav_array[$i]['name'] = $result['ModName'];
$nav_array[$i]['link'] = "index.php?mod=" . $result['ModName'];
$i++;
}

$Disp->assign("Nav_Count", count($nav_array)); // FIXED invalid number count
$Disp->assign("Nav_Item", $nav_array);
}

$Module->SetModule($mod);

$Disp->Show();

And here is the templating code:

Code: [Select]
{if $Nav_Count}
{foreach from=$Nav_Item item=nav}
<a href="{$nav.link}">{$nav.name|capitalize}</a><br />
{/foreach}
{/if}
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:03:26 am by Warrior[x86] »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 02:06:31 am »
As a suggestion, you may want to consider the possiblity of someone supplying an image as a link ($nav.name) as opposed to a plaintext one.  I don't suppose this would matter much since capital "<" is just "<", but I don't know if you'd want to do any additional parsing for something like this.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 02:11:40 am »
$nav.name is the name of the module eg. "test" -> "Test" (I think this is what you mean)

Anyhow I've learned the helpfulness of globals (Passing objects from core to module :D)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 02:13:38 am »
$nav.name is the name of the module eg. "test" -> "Test" (I think this is what you mean)

Anyhow I've learned the helpfulness of globals (Passing objects from core to module :D)

Haha, yeah.

Globals are nice, but I wish that PHP would have an implements method for its OO capability, that'd make things so much cleaner...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 02:25:53 am »
I thought PHP5 had this *shrug* that's not widely used anyhow.

I was in an especially tight bind because some of my classes take params in thier constructors which are essential to how it's run (example: $DB = new dtDatabase($settings['dbtype']) and settings is $settings = GetSettings();) and I had no idea how to pass that from config.php to the core to the module so globals worked perfectly here.

I was also faced with a setback because I was previously using array_push() but I don't think it can push associative arrays. Oh well I use a (imho) cleaner method now.

I think most of the major coding of the CMS is done though :)