Author Topic: Scary Moment  (Read 10943 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Scary Moment
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:16:05 pm »
I'm sitting here working on some T&T stuff, when suddenly my speakers (which are turned on, but not plugged into anything) start crackling.  It reminded me of scenes from The Ring, Whitenoise, and The Outer Limits. 

For a split second, I was almost expecting a voice or something to come out, or something else really really creepy. 

It turns out that I just put my foot on the cord, which grounded it or something. 

Was a neat moment, though, I don't get scared often :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: Scary Moment
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 03:26:14 pm »
We have a computer here at work which has a set of speakers which an interesting "feature."  Anytime you send a job to the printer located about 3 feet away, the speakers will make a series of high pitched squeak/beep type sounds.  The sounds are the same every time, reminds me of something out of a 70's sci-fi movie  :D  (everyone that has looked at it has been unable to find a reason but its so funny that we don't bother replacing the speakers or even find out if they are the cause)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:31:09 pm »
We have a computer here at work which has a set of speakers which an interesting "feature."  Anytime you send a job to the printer located about 3 feet away, the speakers will make a series of high pitched squeak/beep type sounds.  The sounds are the same every time, reminds me of something out of a 70's sci-fi movie  :D  (everyone that has looked at it has been unable to find a reason but its so funny that we don't bother replacing the speakers or even find out if they are the cause)

What I'm curious is if it's the printer, or the speakers.  Or both?

The first thing that comes to mind involves magnets, but I'm not sure if printers use magnets?

How do they behave around cellular or cordless phones?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:55:18 pm »
My vans stereo beeps, three seconds before a cell phone will. :)

I have speakers that I have attached an antena too, and got some amplitude modulation radio station. :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 04:12:57 pm »
@iago: I haven't looked at it in a while but the printer is definately too far away for it to be magnetic interference.  The computer right next to it with the same type of speakers does not have the same "feature."  If we do ever replace them, maybe I can keep the speakers :)

@blaze: when I visit my parents and use the computer in the basement, the monitor will distort from the interference just before a call (if my phone is near it)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 04:55:29 pm »
I'm sitting here working on some T&T stuff, when suddenly my speakers (which are turned on, but not plugged into anything) start crackling.  It reminded me of scenes from The Ring, Whitenoise, and The Outer Limits. 

For a split second, I was almost expecting a voice or something to come out, or something else really really creepy. 

It turns out that I just put my foot on the cord, which grounded it or something. 

Hahah that's great. Your the kind of person spookers love to spook!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 05:06:51 pm »

Haha, that's pretty funny.  White Noise was a pretty good movie, I enjoyed it; especially considering all of the other people I know that saw it said it sucked.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:18:58 pm »
I'm sitting here working on some T&T stuff, when suddenly my speakers (which are turned on, but not plugged into anything) start crackling. It reminded me of scenes from The Ring, Whitenoise, and The Outer Limits.

:) Thats cool that it actually scared you! It must be because your canadian, they have special powers or something... ;)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 05:48:03 pm »

Haha, that's pretty funny.  White Noise was a pretty good movie, I enjoyed it; especially considering all of the other people I know that saw it said it sucked.

I didn't like it much.  It didn't really go anywhere, and there weren't a lot of surprises or twists, it was all pretty predictable.  It could have been a lot better, I thought. 

I didn't think it sucked, though. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 05:51:15 pm »
I didn't like it much.  It didn't really go anywhere, and there weren't a lot of surprises or twists, it was all pretty predictable.  It could have been a lot better, I thought. 

Haha.  It was a lot better than The Ring 2, I'll tell you that much...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 06:02:35 pm »

I haven't seen it. 

I liked Skeleton Key more than Whitenoise, though.  I saw it last night :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 06:09:37 pm »
I haven't seen it. 

I liked Skeleton Key more than Whitenoise, though.  I saw it last night :)

Don't.  It's horrible... there's no point to it!

I haven't seen Skeleton Key.  I don't usually watch horror movies, but lately I've been watching a lot of movies with my friends.

trust

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 06:12:06 pm »

White Noise sucked. I am a pussy (or was?) when it came to scary movies, so when I went to see White Noise I was expecting to be scared out of my mind. It was so stupid. I mean, at least it had some scary stuff in the way the movie was made (ala "The Others") but then at the end with the CGI ghosts. Talk about lame.

Skeleton Key was OK though, but not scary imo.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 06:31:52 pm »
No, Skeleton Key isn't really scary, just creepy. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 06:38:56 pm »
White Noise sucked. I am a pussy (or was?) when it came to scary movies, so when I went to see White Noise I was expecting to be scared out of my mind. It was so stupid. I mean, at least it had some scary stuff in the way the movie was made (ala "The Others") but then at the end with the CGI ghosts. Talk about lame.

Skeleton Key was OK though, but not scary imo.

Haha, I was expecting it to be a lot more freaky too.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 08:08:25 pm »

Well that's because the American versions suck.  You have to see Ringu 2 or Rasen (both are sequels...yes, both are different movies but are both second), or The Ring Virus 2 (Korean).  They are both infinitely better than the American ones.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 08:13:23 pm »
@blaze: when I visit my parents and use the computer in the basement, the monitor will distort from the interference just before a call (if my phone is near it)

That's because your monitor is CRT. Mine does the same thing, but obviously not my LCD. Try putting a magnet next to your CRT ;)
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 08:31:16 pm »
All of the above movies mentioned did not suck. They were all quite good. I even enjoyed The Ring 2.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 08:38:35 pm »
All of the above movies mentioned did not suck. They were all quite good. I even enjoyed The Ring 2.

Haha, maybe its because I wasn't following it.  I was messing around with my friends half of the time, haha.  We were usually making fun of the movie.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 09:31:00 pm »
Blaze, your van rings before your phone does? Hm, you must be using a 266SX. </lameattemptathumor>
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 10:05:43 pm »

There is a Korean movie called "Janghwa, Hongryeon" (aka A Tale of Two Sisters) that could easily be the prequel to the Ring. It was well done though, and the Ring wasn't.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 10:08:57 pm »
There is a Korean movie called "Janghwa, Hongryeon" (aka A Tale of Two Sisters) that could easily be the prequel to the Ring. It was well done though, and the Ring wasn't.

I hate watching movies with subtitles, though.  I'm not much of a movie buff to begin with.  If I have to read while watching a movie, FUCK IT! :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 10:59:18 pm »

I hate watching movies with subtitles, though.  I'm not much of a movie buff to begin with.  If I have to read while watching a movie, FUCK IT! :)

I fully agree!  We had a discussion about Subtitles on vL a long time ago, and about how much I hate them. 

I'd rather have somewhat poor voice acting than good subtitles. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 11:01:41 pm »
I fully agree!  We had a discussion about Subtitles on vL a long time ago, and about how much I hate them. 

I'd rather have somewhat poor voice acting than good subtitles. 

Hehe.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 11:22:46 pm »
I prefer subtitles.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 11:26:52 pm »
Do you watch Anime in the original language?

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 01:28:48 am »
Yes I do, to me, it sounds more natural with original expression that was meant to be there. Dubs in English when they finally get here are butchered and censored to fit little kiddies. There was an article about bringing anime from Japan to the US and the editing that needs to be done. Anyways, I usually watch quality subs, though speedsubs are usually better than dubs anyways :/
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 01:32:40 am »
Yes I do, to me, it sounds more natural with original expression that was meant to be there. Dubs in English when they finally get here are butchered and censored to fit little kiddies. There was an article about bringing anime from Japan to the US and the editing that needs to be done. Anyways, I usually watch quality subs, though speedsubs are usually better than dubs anyways :/

My friend (foreign exchange student from China) watches a lot of anime.  I'm not sure which ones, but he's pretty in to them.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 07:58:38 am »
Can't you understand it anyhow, Ergot? You're a sepecial case. =p
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 01:02:05 pm »
Can't you understand it anyhow, Ergot? You're a sepecial case. =p

Almost all anime is in Japanese, not Chinese.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 08:57:02 pm »

That would be the Korean version of Ringu Rei, which hasn't been remade in America yet.

I also watch anime in the original language, especially the stuff that's on TV!  I download the same show off the internet and watch the subs, because they aren't edited.  What most people don't realize is that in Japan all there really is are anime, news, and stupid ass gameshows.  Anime is much like our comedies, sitcoms, cartoons, action shows, crime shows, etc..., you just have to find the right one.

Like, for instance, if you like ninjas, watch Naruto.
If you like pirates, watch One Piece (the english one sucks thoroughly).
If you like to be confused, watch FLCL or Evangelion.
If you like sensless violence and random acts of carnage, watch Elfen Sied or Bastard.
If you're Scr33n0r, watch hentai.
If you like romantic comedy, watch Love Hina, Chobits, Please Teacher, etc...
If you're Joe, watch Pokemon.
If you're American, watch DBZ, then two years later, after you've collected every poster, toy, clothing, etc... bitch about how it sucked donkey balls.
If you're me, watch everything, then stop watching the shit.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 09:09:14 pm »
I can follow it...

;)

Hah, owned.
I like Love Hina. :P
If you're American, watch DBZ, then two years later, after you've collected every poster, toy, clothing, etc... bitch about how it sucked donkey balls.
So true!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 09:38:53 pm »
If you like sensless violence and random acts of carnage, watch Elfen Sied or Bastard.
I fit into 0 of those categories :-o

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 09:50:57 pm »
Okay then:
If you're anyone else, watch 5 minutes of any anime, then yell at the TV "GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!" and proceed to watch the History Channel (which is always fun too).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 10:17:14 pm »
Sweet!

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 03:40:55 am »

That would be the Korean version of Ringu Rei, which hasn't been remade in America yet.

I also watch anime in the original language, especially the stuff that's on TV!  I download the same show off the internet and watch the subs, because they aren't edited.  What most people don't realize is that in Japan all there really is are anime, news, and stupid ass gameshows.  Anime is much like our comedies, sitcoms, cartoons, action shows, crime shows, etc..., you just have to find the right one.

If you want to be cool like Ergot and Feanor and not lame like rabbit you'd watch Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic and not Naruto :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 10:02:14 am »
Okay then:
If you're anyone else, watch 5 minutes of any anime, then yell at the TV "GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!" and proceed to watch the History Channel (which is always fun too).

Right on!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2005, 11:01:20 am »
If you want to be cool like Ergot and Feanor and not lame like rabbit you'd watch Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic and not Naruto :)

Luckly, it's a proven fact that the average coolness level there is pretty low, so no thanks. 

Of course, when compared to Rabbit.......

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 08:23:25 pm »
Bitch, step off.  I'm working on FMA.

I also am disinterested in Bleach because every time I go to Borders Bleach #8 falls off the shelf at me (seriously, it's fallen on me at least 4 times, even when I wasn't touching the shelf).

I'll get around to FMP.  I just need to finish FMA, and then I'll watch it.

@iago: jackass -.-

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 08:56:48 pm »
Eww @ keeping stuff in c:\

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 09:13:08 pm »
Eww @ FMA.

Haha, actually that is a pretty good show IMO.  It's one of the few animes that I've made an effort to watch.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 09:24:29 am »
Eww @ keeping stuff in c:\
I don't mind since windows is installed in D, so it doesn't feel like root.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2005, 05:00:47 pm »
Bah, fuck mangas... Animes FTW~