Author Topic: Amazon Escape!  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Amazon Escape!
« on: December 10, 2005, 11:32:55 pm »
Yup. I'm writing a first-person shooter. Some ideas are coming from deadly.

You are driving through the forest when your Hummer crashes into a tree and starts on fire.  You manage to jump out, but you notice that the animals in the forest are acting all weird.  You quickly recover your shotgun from the back of your Hummer before the car blows up.  You must now navigate your way through the forest infested with wolves, deer, mooses, and other animals.  Beware, they seem to be relentless in their attack.

If anyone is interested in developing some skins for jungle animals, you're welcome to submit them. Any 'event' ideas (such as a big bear takes a random weapon from you), submit them too.

I'm writing this in Visual Basic, but I'm using DirectX as well. I don't really know if this will be fast enough to work well or not.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Escape!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 11:35:32 pm »
The forest is the Amazon (hence AMAZON escape). Don't ask how a Hummer got in the amazon.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 11:38:03 pm »
You are driving through the forest when your Hummer crashes into a tree and starts on fire.  You manage to jump out, but you notice that the animals in the forest are acting all weird.  You quickly recover your shotgun from the back of your Hummer before the car blows up.  You must now navigate your way through the forest infested with wolves, deer, mooses, and other animals.  Beware, they seem to be relentless in their attack.

The plural of moose is moose.

Incidentally, there aren't any moose near the Amazon.  Moose live in the mountains.  Come to think of it, neither do wolves or deer.  I hope your list of "other animals" makes more sense. :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 11:44:39 pm »
Shut up, it's not meant to make sense!! It's meant to be a lame storyline for him to follow to learn VB more. :P
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 11:45:32 pm »
Shut up, it's not meant to make sense!! It's meant to be a lame storyline for him to follow to learn VB more. :P

He might as well make the surroundings more realistic.  At least have the animals exist near the Amazon. :\

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 11:48:04 pm »
Games don't have to make sense Sidoh, you said it yourself. :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 11:50:44 pm »

They don't have to, but when they're located in some geographically existent point on Earth, its stupid to inaccurately portray that are in such ways as inhabiting it with animals that don't exist even remotely close to that location.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 11:54:16 pm »

He might as well make the surroundings more realistic.  At least have the animals exist near the Amazon. :\
I added the "realism" factor with the economical twits that want to save the rainforest that are crazed, and the tribesmen with javelins!

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 11:57:08 pm »
I added the "realism" factor with the economical twits that want to save the rainforest that are crazed, and the tribesmen with javelins!

Actually, the rain forests are in pretty critical condition.  While it's true some of the people that scream "save the rainforests!" are pretty malinformed, there are some that know what they're talking about.  Take my Calculus teacher... he's one of the most intelligent, learned, worldly people I've ever encountered and he'll talk about how we really do need to do something about preserving the rainforests if someone brings up a related topic.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:02:44 am »

They don't have to, but when they're located in some geographically existent point on Earth, its stupid to inaccurately portray that are in such ways as inhabiting it with animals that don't exist even remotely close to that location.

Have you ever played Castle Wolfenstein 3D?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 12:07:00 am »

That's a SciFi game.  This is not.

Besides, in Wolfenstein, they provided some reason why things were anti-reasonable.  If Joe does that, I'll stop complaining.  Until then, I'm going to be biased and say it sucks. :)

Additionally... it's extremely unlikely that a car would start on fire because it crashed into a tree.  It's even more unlikely if it's a vehicle as durable as a Hummer.  Beyond that, it seems very implausible that the fire would spread from the hood (where it would originate, if it crashed into a tree head-on) to the gas tank, which would cause it to explode.

I'm picky! :)

God Joe, lern 2 ply ur class.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 12:09:52 am by Sidoh »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 12:53:25 am »

That's a SciFi game.  This is not.

Besides, in Wolfenstein, they provided some reason why things were anti-reasonable.  If Joe does that, I'll stop complaining.  Until then, I'm going to be biased and say it sucks. :)

Additionally... it's extremely unlikely that a car would start on fire because it crashed into a tree.  It's even more unlikely if it's a vehicle as durable as a Hummer.  Beyond that, it seems very implausible that the fire would spread from the hood (where it would originate, if it crashed into a tree head-on) to the gas tank, which would cause it to explode.

I'm picky! :)

God Joe, lern 2 ply ur class.
Haven't you ever seen the simpsons?
"homer, homer simpson
He's the greatest the guy in historyyy
From the town of springfield
He's about to hit a chestnut tree"
*hits tree, car starts on fire*

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 12:58:19 am »
So you're going to write a game engine with physics networking and all the other things in VB? You know these must be present before even starting work on the actual game. Not to mention how you will do detailed levels either by using BSP or some other format.  There are protocols to write compression algorithms to look at and other complicated things. All in VB? Good luck and call me in 2020 when it's able to even run a "beta1"
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 12:58:58 am »
Also what kind of FPS is this? Killing forest animals? I've taken shits more interesting than this concept.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 01:03:48 am »
Also what kind of FPS is this? Killing forest animals? I've taken shits more interesting than this concept.

ROFL