Author Topic: Pre-install Linux Questions  (Read 9213 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Pre-install Linux Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 08:42:26 pm »
Are you by any chance SaNNy?  Well, if you need help just talk to me on AIM because iago would push you my way anyways :(.  I'll probably be free Friday night :)

I already have :P

(19:24:51) iagox86: If you need help, talk to Ergot
(19:24:57) iagox86: I won't be around until after next monday

:)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 11:44:31 pm »
Well... it seems as though I can't get pass the first step! Burning the CDs, GJ me :).

But anyways, I downloaded both Slackware CDs using bittorrent. In my download folder are two files, "slackware-10.2-install-d2.iso" & "slackware-10.2-install-d1.iso." The file has a .iso extention but has folder icon. However, inside the ISO folder is three files, "slackware-10.2-install-d1," which is a WinZip file, "slackware-10.2-install-d1.iso.asc," and "slackware-10.2-install-d1.iso.md5." Should I put the whole ISO folder onto the discs or put the the three files onto the discs without unzipping the WinZip file, or..?

BTW, inside the WinZip file are two folders, "linux-2.6.13," and "slackware." Inside each of those folders are more WinZip files.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 12:32:38 am »
You should burn the .iso file to a cd using Nero, or some other program.  Only the .iso needs to go. 

I know that WinRAR associates itself with .iso files, which is kind of silly, but no, you don't need to open it. 

For more info, search google for "burning an iso in windows" or something.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 02:07:15 am »
You only want the .iso file, unless your going to check the MD5sum of it (which isn't a bad idea, really), in which case you need the .md5 too. I have no clue what a .asc is, but I guess its a checksum-ish thing.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 08:49:52 am »
Well, my HD failed me. Oh well, it's an old laptop (Inspiron 8100), I'm suprised it didn't corrupt earlier. Anyways, I ordered a new HD from NewEgg. A 80 GB Western Digital for about $120. It should arrive, lastest, Wednesday.

I have a few questions about Slackware, though :):
Which FS should I install?
What's "X"?
I don't quite undestand the configuring the network part of the installation.
After pressing enter, you are taken to a screen to configure your network. If you have DSL or Cable, you probably want to do this now. If you have dial up, you probably won't need this.

Select yes or no and press enter. If you selected yes to configure the net, you are taken to a screen for a host name. Unless you're installing this on a server or something where a lot of people will be accessing the machine, you can just make something up. If you are installing on a server, enter the hostname.

After entering a host name, press enter. After pressing enter, you enter the domain name. Again, you can pretty much make up whatever you want here. Unless of course you are installing on a server as said before.

If you are installing on a server, enter the required information, and press enter. After you press enter, you are taken to a screen where you can set up how you get an IP. Since I have a LAN, I select DHCP. After you make your selection, press enter.

After pressing enter, you come to another screen asking for networking information. You can just press enter here usually, unless your ISP needs more information. After pressing enter, you will be shown your networking information. If it looks good, press enter, if it doesn't, press the right arrow key to highlight "No", and press enter.

If you selected "No", you will be taken back through the networking set up. If you selected yes, you are taken to an area where you select what services to run. Unless people need to access your machine remotely, deselect SSHd at the very bottom. Sendmail is OK though. That way you can send mail from a command line.

After selecting what services to run, press enter. After pressing enter, you are asked if you would like to try custom screen fonts. "No" is already preselected, so press enter, unless you really want to try screen fonts out

After pressing enter, you are taken to another screen. Unless you are sure, press enter. "No" is already highlighted here, and is a safe option.
I can just put ANYTHING I want for the hostname and the domain name and what if I'm planning on using two ways to connect to the internet? At home, I use my DSL box and at places with free Wi-Fi, a NIC.

And, no, I haven't even tried to install Slackware my first time yet :P.

Thanks! :).

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 09:13:20 am »
BTW, when it asks how to format the harddrive, pick ext3.  I don't know why, but apparently it's best. 

Journaling+ext2 = ext3= pwnination.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 09:15:35 am »
Oh, oops, haha :P.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 01:59:46 pm »
Which FS should I install?
The default is ReiserFS, but apparently ext3 is better. 

What's "X"?
you aren't allowed to ask difficult questions.. :P

You do NOT need to know this, but it's for your own information.

The graphical interface on Linux is split into two pieces, a client and a server.  X is the server.  It communicates with the back end hardware, and contains the drivers.  It keeps track of which programs are running.  It listens on a standard port, and when the X client connects to it, it sends it what stuff is supposed to be on the screen (windows, etc).  The client, which is called a "Window Manager", decides how to display the windows, and sends things like keystrokes and mouse movements back to X. 

What you DO need to know: when you have Linux installed, it'll boot into a command prompt.  Type "startx", and press enter.  That starts the X server and the X client, and life is good. 

I can just put ANYTHING I want for the hostname and the domain name and what if I'm planning on using two ways to connect to the internet? At home, I use my DSL box and at places with free Wi-Fi, a NIC.

hostname is just the name of your computer.  Pick something creative.  Domain name doesn't matter, I've never seen it make a difference; I use javaop.com because it sounds good. 

If you're going through a router at home, or through cable, it's easy.  Just tell it you're using dhcp, and nothing else. 

If you're planning on using wireless, that might be a little trickier.  Slackware automatically installs wireless tools, but I prefer using my own shellscript:
http://www.javaop.com/~iago/home-wireless.sh
Often, wireless cards aren't recognized by default.  My Microsoft wireless card works fine by default (weird, eh?), and my Intel one doesn't.  You may have to do some searching for wireless drivers, but most common cards have them somewhere.  Worry about wireless later :P

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 09:23:24 pm »
Well, I finally got my HDD and now, I have installed Slackware, yay!

I'm on Slackware as I speak :).

But, I got something messed up. The display doesn't take up the entire screen. There is a lot of extra black space, how do I make the display take up the entire screen?
EDIT: I tried the "Configure Desktop" thing, but the biggest display is 1024 x 768 and theres still a lot of black space. I remember from the installation there was bigger displays, I think.
Also, I'm currently logged in as root, how do I make a user?

And, thanks to everyone who helped me install Slackware :).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 09:31:59 pm by DJO910 »

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 09:31:31 pm »
I get a little black space around the edges :/ I don't mind though.

To make a user: adduser
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 09:37:41 pm »
Where do I go to do "adduser"? :P

But, I mean the black space is HUGE!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 09:41:42 pm »
Uh, exit out of "X" (ctrl+shift+backspace) and then a black screen will come up where you typed "startx".  Type "adduser (name)"
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 09:54:23 pm »
You need to supply a name? I though it prompts you for that o_o
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 10:09:10 pm »
Or save your processor time and press Ctrl+Alt+2, and then you'll be delivered to tty2. Alt+1 to get back to X.

And deadly, thats a disgusting way to kill X. Yes, kill, not shut down. Eww!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 10:12:35 pm »
You mean Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back.
And why even exit X? Just type into a console :/ ?