Author Topic: ColdHeat Soldering Iron  (Read 13936 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
ColdHeat Soldering Iron
« on: December 26, 2005, 01:14:37 pm »
Only download if you really want to see me trying to burn myself: www.javaop.com/~iago/coldheat.mpg

Yet another Christmas gift for me.  I feel so powerful now that I can........ solder!!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: ColdHeat Soldering Iron
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:48:53 pm »
Only download if you really want to see me trying to burn myself: www.javaop.com/~iago/coldheat.mpg

Yet another Christmas gift for me.  I feel so powerful now that I can........ solder!!
or if we want to waste your bandwith. ;)

Isn't it a mechanical device that cools it down?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:51:32 pm »

or if we want to waste your bandwith. ;)

Are you telling me you don't know what a soldering iron is?

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 02:27:51 pm »

Don't be fooled by the name, ColdHeat is a brand. :P
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 02:31:49 pm »

No, it just has a really really low (or high?) specific heat.  It has 2 forks, and when they're bridged it heats up super fast.  As soon as you remove the heat, it cools off super fast.  It's just a property of the compound they use to make the tip. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 02:39:18 pm »

No, it just has a really really low (or high?) specific heat.  It has 2 forks, and when they're bridged it heats up super fast.  As soon as you remove the heat, it cools off super fast.  It's just a property of the compound they use to make the tip. 

Oh, awesome. :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 02:59:49 pm »

Low specific heat.  High means it retains its thermal energy and it takes a lot of energy to change it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 03:37:34 pm »

Low specific heat.  High means it retains its thermal energy and it takes a lot of energy to change it.

Somehow, I knew you'd be the one who told me.  It's been a long time since highschool chemistry, but I was pretty sure it was low.  It goes from extremely hot to room temperature in about 2 seconds. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 05:50:19 pm »
Those things don't get hot enough for most of my applications :/

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 06:26:48 pm »
It depends what you're soldering.  If you're doing pipes or something, then yeah, you need a torch.  But if you're doing electronics (which is what I needed it for), it works beautifully.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 01:37:12 am »
Well, most of my applications are either small chip-to-board jobs (when finalizing something that has been on a breadboard for a while) or non-computer oriented electronics for which we use this amazing solder with a hollow core.  At the right temperature it is so incredibly easy compared to the micro-soldering jobs required for chips/small capacitors/etc.  I'm not sure how the batterly life is on those, but I doubt you could do a full project without recharging/swapping the batteries.

Sounds like its great for a hobbiest though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 01:44:25 am »
Somehow, I knew you'd be the one who told me.  It's been a long time since highschool chemistry, but I was pretty sure it was low.  It goes from extremely hot to room temperature in about 2 seconds. 

Haha.  I remember it from Physics.  Chemistry's a blur from last year; I didn't much care for my teacher.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 07:02:06 am »
Somehow, I knew you'd be the one who told me. It's been a long time since highschool chemistry, but I was pretty sure it was low. It goes from extremely hot to room temperature in about 2 seconds.

Haha. I remember it from Physics. Chemistry's a blur from last year; I didn't much care for my teacher.

Grammar nazi, switch care and much around.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 09:36:23 am »
No, "much care" works.  You need to read more, Joe.

Ugh, I was in an electronics class 1st term this school year.  The class blew big hairy balls.  The kits that we were supposed to make were really easy to do, and required no knowledge about anything.. just following a friggin diagram and directions (plug 18k OHM Resistor into A7 and B5) and that's all it was.  Then when we finally get to solder some stuff, the dipshit druggies in the class just solder over and over and get big globs of it and then throw it around after it hardened, so guess what: we use up a whole fucking ROLL of solder in one day.  So for one of my kits when I was goofing around (finished in 3 days, heh had 2 left) I was putting a speaker together for fun and the one of the wires was frayed and the other was like, short as fuck.. so I had to solder the frayed wire together and guess what, we didn't have any solder!  I hate public school.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 12:22:31 pm »
Well, most of my applications are either small chip-to-board jobs (when finalizing something that has been on a breadboard for a while) or non-computer oriented electronics for which we use this amazing solder with a hollow core.  At the right temperature it is so incredibly easy compared to the micro-soldering jobs required for chips/small capacitors/etc.  I'm not sure how the batterly life is on those, but I doubt you could do a full project without recharging/swapping the batteries.

Sounds like its great for a hobbiest though.

Yeah, I've never done chip-to-board soldering, and I doubt I ever will.  I don't plan on being more than a hobbiest, and yep, it's a great tool. 

I have no clue how long the batteries last, but it takes 4 AA batteries, which is quite a bit, so it probably has at least a decent life.