Author Topic: Windows outdoes Linux  (Read 3120 times)

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Windows outdoes Linux
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:36:23 am »
According to CERT, Linux/Unix had far more vulnerabilities released last year than Windows did...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/05/windows_linux_unix_security_vulnerabilities/

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Windows outdoes Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 02:55:57 am »
Saw that and the Slashdot comments. I don't find it very accurate because there are a lot of 3rd-party programs involved there.  I mean... someone could just make some terrible program for Windows and they count as vulnerabilities :/.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 03:26:09 am »
Every single windows failure.. err... error isn't published. Also that could mean the problems are still in Windows, waiting to be found. :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:40:07 am »
Number of vulnerabilities alone is a horrible base for judging how secure any application (OSes included) is.  Severity of the vulnerability, speed of patching it, and whether the software is in a beta or release stage are incredibly important to consider.  I'm not sure why I even have to say this.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:44:24 am »
Microsoft constantly claims that they are "faster" at patching vulnerabilities.  What they mean is, from the time they admit it exists to the time it's patched is shorter, on average, than Linux. 

The obvious mistake in there is that Linux programmers don't go, "Uhh, prove to us it can be exploited and we'll consider patching it". 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 03:41:01 pm »
The obvious mistake in there is that Linux programmers don't go, "Uhh, prove to us it can be exploited and we'll consider patching it". 

But it's so much more fun sending Microsoft code that will fry their computers! :)

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 06:13:21 pm »
You have to disassemble Windows binaries to find exploits, generally. Linux is open-source, and so it's easier to find exploits. Also, since there are so many exploits floating around for Windows, most people don't even bother.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 06:22:21 pm »
Linux is open-source, and so it's easier to find exploits.

It's also easier to fix them, since anybody can write their own patch for it, without worrying about damaging other things like you would with a binary patch.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 01:08:57 pm »
Plus, it's much less tempting to code something in a deemed "sloppy" way since others are going to be looking at your source.