Author Topic: Math Problem  (Read 4968 times)

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
Math Problem
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:56:40 pm »
Due to this forums vast knowledge in everything (so it seems)  I decided to post a nice math problem.  To solve, and I'll post the answer tomorrow.
-RoMi

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
Re: Math Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 07:02:05 pm »
Pfft. I hate algerbra II. I would try but I have no knowledge of this type of equations. We are trying to solve for X right?
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:08:30 pm »
Oh yeah, time to be more specific.  Simplify as far as possible, sorry about that.
-RoMi

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:13:12 pm »
(1/x) + 1

Edit: Im stupid.  Its really:
(x^2 -2x)/(x-1)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:31:34 pm by Nate »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:04:35 am »
actually, until you put an = sign into your formula, its nothing but a statement.  I'm going to assume you meant to put = 0 at the end :)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 03:25:05 am »
No, he's suppose to simplify.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 03:12:53 pm »
2x-1/(3x^2)-2x

?

I'll check my answer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 03:17:46 pm by Deuce »
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 07:52:01 pm »
actually, until you put an = sign into your formula, its nothing but a statement.  I'm going to assume you meant to put = 0 at the end :)

I'd much sooner assume it's a function of something with respect to x.  You don't need to have an equation to simplify that.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:41:19 pm »

I'd much sooner assume it's a function of something with respect to x.  You don't need to have an equation to simplify that.

If it were F(x) = <the statement> then yes you could simplify the function without solving for x.  Solving for xas I suggested would be the other common goal.  I suppose you could expand/reduce the equation to a more readable or more manipulatable form, but thats about all you can do without making it a function or an equation.  My point was that as it stands it is quite ambiguous, no insult intended. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 10:50:02 pm »
If it were F(x) = <the statement> then yes you could simplify the function without solving for x.  Solving for xas I suggested would be the other common goal.  I suppose you could expand/reduce the equation to a more readable or more manipulatable form, but thats about all you can do without making it a function or an equation.  My point was that as it stands it is quite ambiguous, no insult intended. :)

I think it's pretty safe to assume it's a function.  If it has a variable and it's not equal to anything, it's pretty obvious that it's a function, methinks.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 11:05:39 pm »

I think it's pretty safe to assume it's a function.  If it has a variable and it's not equal to anything, it's pretty obvious that it's a function, methinks.

I disagree, if its not equal to anything it is only a statement.  If you typed this statement into your calculator, the calculator would reduce it for you, but if you asked it to graph the function, it would not be able to because it is not a function in its present form.  Assuming that it would be a function of x would be a mistake for a computing device because you could very easily be trying to find the function of y instead of x ;)

Obviously we are not reliant on the assumptions that a computing device will make.  But it certainly leaves the box very open.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 11:19:51 pm »
I disagree, if its not equal to anything it is only a statement.  If you typed this statement into your calculator, the calculator would reduce it for you, but if you asked it to graph the function, it would not be able to because it is not a function in its present form.  Assuming that it would be a function of x would be a mistake for a computing device because you could very easily be trying to find the function of y instead of x ;)

Obviously we are not reliant on the assumptions that a computing device will make.  But it certainly leaves the box very open.

Since humans can make assumptions, I choose not to destory possibilities that are formulated from assumptions made by gathering relivant information.

Since it is a statement and it makes little sense to do anything with it in this form, I assume it is intended to be something else.  Since it's obviously not an equation (if it was, it's unlikely that he would have forgotten to set it equal to something), I'll assume that it's a function.

Additionally, if I typed this into my TI-83 as a 'statement,' it would assume it's a function and solve for the generic "F(x)", where x is a defined variable (0 by default, I believe).

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:45:48 pm »
Just reiterating what has previously been said.

If its not f(x) = <statement>,  all you have to do is simplify. This equation happens to be a function, (hyperbola I think), so you could also find the zeroes, of which one goes through the origin, and another just mazels a bit to the right.

Off topic: I literally just moved everything in my room three inches to the left.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 07:17:12 pm »
I think this is what Deuce got.  I figured I'd try it:

Deuce: It's a hyperbola (I'm pretty sure, anyway), but it has asymtotes:

Finding zeros generally implies finding where the function crosses 0 on the x axis.  That's a pretty useless thing to do with hyperbolas, since they approach infinity and 0.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:42:56 pm by Sidoh »

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 08:31:03 pm »
Not neccesarily. If you added a -2 to the end equation, it would shift the entire thing down, therefore enabling you to find zeroes, even though you're right, it's pretty pointless, unless you are trying to graph it by hand.