Author Topic: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews  (Read 23918 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
I don't meant to start an argument, but this has to be pointed out:

[....] Microsoft will bring RSS to the mainstream [....]

Haha!   

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:07:02 pm »
Hahaha. Yeah, I noticed that.  I chuckled.  It's a pretty funny article in a sense.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:05:36 am »
Well yes, most people use IE. IE7 will implement RSS, thus RSS will be mainstream.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 11:23:34 am »
Well yes, most people use IE. IE7 will implement RSS, thus RSS will be mainstream.
RSS is already used by just about every site that it applies to (ie, news).  Tons of people already use it.  I'd call that pretty mainstream.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:07:51 pm »
It can be mainstream to firefox users or to any browser which supports RSS, remember most of the internet uses IE. IE dominates the market, thus it represents the majority of users. Now windows implementing it in to IE7 (Which works wonderfully btw) will make it mainstream obviously since the majority of users have IE.

I hate to break it to you but there arn't a lot of people who don't use IE as opposed to those who do. Any browser bundled with windows is going to immediately go right to the top in useage thus anything implemented in that browser immediately goes mainstream.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 03:32:42 pm »
It can be mainstream to firefox users or to any browser which supports RSS, remember most of the internet uses IE. IE dominates the market, thus it represents the majority of users. Now windows implementing it in to IE7 (Which works wonderfully btw) will make it mainstream obviously since the majority of users have IE.

I hate to break it to you but there arn't a lot of people who don't use IE as opposed to those who do. Any browser bundled with windows is going to immediately go right to the top in useage thus anything implemented in that browser immediately goes mainstream.

"... bring RSS to the mainstream ..." is synonymous to "... bring RSS to the public ...".

By your logic represented here, aren't you contradicting yourself?  You said Vista was publicly available. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:38:29 pm »
It is, so is IE7.

Mainstream
Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes: * something that is not out of the ordinary or unusual;* something that is familiar to the masses;* something that belongs to an identifiable genre, such as detective fiction, horror, fantasy, or science fiction.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream

Don't get how that means "Public". Mainstream is the majority of the public. The majority of the public use IE.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 04:14:08 pm »
It is, so is IE7.

Mainstream
Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes: * something that is not out of the ordinary or unusual;* something that is familiar to the masses;* something that belongs to an identifiable genre, such as detective fiction, horror, fantasy, or science fiction.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream

Don't get how that means "Public". Mainstream is the majority of the public. The majority of the public use IE.

And the "public" is the majority of the people, discluding those that have special access or privileges to a related pool of information, data or objects.  For instance, in political terms, the "public" are those who aren't associated with the government.  In scientific terms, the "public" are those who aren't involved in the researcher's line of work.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 04:36:55 pm »
This is neither politics nor science so what's your point?
The fact is, IE is the mainstream browser, like it or not. It will remain the mainstream browser as long as windows is alive.
Anything Microsoft puts in IE becomes mainstream. No possible way that can be argued.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 04:59:52 pm »
The fact is, IE is the mainstream browser, like it or not. It will remain the mainstream browser as long as windows is alive.
Anything Microsoft puts in IE becomes mainstream. No possible way that can be argued.
I think everyone pretty much missed what iago was saying. RSS is already mainstream. Microsoft is claiming they will bring RSS into the mainstream. Something that is mainstream already cannot be "brought into the mainstream".
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 05:07:10 pm »
Mainstream among websites? Yes. Among users? No.
That is what Windows is talking about and that is what they will do.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 05:16:38 pm »
No offense guys, but you choose some really trivial things to argue about sometimes....

* unTactical ducks

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 05:17:18 pm »
* Warrior[x86] throws something @ unTactical after seeing him duck.

BOOM HEADSHOT.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 06:54:03 pm »

Is it that hard to understand I'm implying that "the public" is a completely relative term?

If Microsoft is implying that they're bringing RSS to the mainstream browser, they're absolutely correct.  However, if they're refering to a group of people by mainstream, they're wrong.  RSS has already been brought to the mainstream.  Some just refuse to accept it. :)