Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Saw 2
« on: November 09, 2005, 11:04:18 pm »
I saw this today, with my sister and a family friend.  I'm pretty unsure how I feel about it, it's a tough one to rate.  I'll try not to be specific here to not spoil it.

First of all, it was gross.  I'm usually pretty solid, but there was more than one scene that made me look away and cringe.  Although that's not sufficient to be a good movie, it's a nice change from the ordinary.  They didn't shy away from totally disgusting the audience.  It's rather like Saw 1 in that respect, except darker.

Next, I like the characters.  There was pretty good character development for most of the main characters.  The protaganist character is a cop who starts by looking noble (searching for his son), but during the movie is shown in a darker light.  The antagonist starts out seeming like a maniac, but as the movie develops and you see more of his motives, you (or perhaps I) actually feel some empathy towards him.  He's torturing people, which you'd know if you saw the first one, but he's also trying to get them to help themselves.  I guess that's as good a reason for any to torture, but I rather like what he did. 

The action was great.  I like how the story unfolded.  I enjoyed how the antagonist was present and talking for almost the entire movie, that was a great effect in my mind. 

Now, the problems I had.  This paragraph is as close as I'm going to get to a spoiler; read at your own risk: I found the movie was very, very dark in terms of mood.  In most movies, it begins on some action, then has some calmness/happiness, then gets dark.  This movie had no such thing, it started bad and went to worse.  I felt no comfort at any part, and it was almost stressful watching it. 

The other problem I had with it was that they did a lot of really quick transitions.  Like, they show lots of scenes really fast with loud noise to create an effect (I hope you know what I mean), but they do that WAY too much.  It's way overused. 

Overall, I think that if you want a movie that's going to totally gross you out, it's a good one to see, but it's not for the squeemish/faint of heart.  Oh, and I wouldn't recommend this movie for Quik.  If you see it, hopefully you know what I mean ;)

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Saw 2
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 11:32:35 pm »
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend this movie for Quik. If you see it, hopefully you know what I mean ;)

I'm less offended by that then the fact that the creators think I'm going to PAY to see someone mutilate themselves on the screen.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 11:35:07 pm »
This.... is a good movie.  :)

At the quik statement:  Oh, your mean iago!  :(
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 12:37:07 am »
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend this movie for Quik. If you see it, hopefully you know what I mean ;)
I'm less offended by that then the fact that the creators think I'm going to PAY to see someone mutilate themselves on the screen.
If you haven't seen the movie, then you don't know how offended you should or should not be :P

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:55:15 am »
If you haven't seen the movie, then you don't know how offended you should or should not be :P

1. It's in the commercials, for the majority of the scene, or at least, the subject.
2. Just because I didn't pay, doesn't mean I haven't seen it.
3. This movie is disgusting in general, and I liked the original much better.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 02:29:31 am »

1. It's in the commercials, for the majority of the scene, or at least, the subject.
2. Just because I didn't pay, doesn't mean I haven't seen it.
3. This movie is disgusting in general, and I liked the original much better.

1. Ah, I don't really watch commercials.
2. / 3. Cool

Offline StaiN

• Chicken Biskit
  • x86
  • Ninjas?
    • View Profile
    • Not My Site.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 01:19:29 pm »
The Acting was better in II. Atleast in my opinion.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 08:23:31 pm »
Sorry to bring up a long done topic, but I just saw this ( never seen the first )...this movie was whack as hell...gorey and straight insane :/
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 07:58:14 pm »
Saw I had a real good story to it, but it seemed like they made the movie with like 5$. Completely low-wage. Acting was so bad that it made me laugh when they were trying to be scary.

Sounds like that aspect of the movie was changed (?), so it sounds like I'd like it.

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:10:10 pm »
I too just saw it recently.. I would have to say that it wasn't that good.. Nothing spectacular to the movie, or so I thought.  The first one was also dumb, so I didn't expect much from this one. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 12:07:20 am »
Hehe, I was wondering why I hadn't seen this before.  It's from November! -_-

I watched this recently at my friend's house.  He has a LCD projector/screen, so it was like watching it in theaters! :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:12:37 am »
Awesome movie. 9/10
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling