Author Topic: More Microsoft Licensing fun!  (Read 15124 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
More Microsoft Licensing fun!
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:17:52 pm »
“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

More information
Official Microsoft document
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 06:27:34 pm by iago »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: More Microsoft Licensing fun!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:26:21 pm »
I actually do see their reasoning behind this.  I'm pretty sure that tech support would comply if a good enough reason was given, though. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:29:19 pm »
I actually do see their reasoning behind this.  I'm pretty sure that tech support would comply if a good enough reason was given, though. :)

Well, the complaint was made by companies who upgrade their PCs and discover Windows stops working.  Upgrading a couple thousand PCs could get extremely expensive. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 06:30:41 pm »
I thought this was old? Thankfully, when my dad gave my sister a new mobo/cpu, the mobo was just a new revision of the same mobo :O
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 06:34:09 pm »
I think this is the stupidest thing to date Microsoft has done.  Seriously.  They're apparently not satisfied enough that someone is spending $400 on their software, but when that person upgrades because his current computer is shitty, they have to buy their OS again?  If that's not what "users must obtain a new license" means, feel free to correct me.  Just how I interpreted it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 06:34:56 pm »
I've personally never had to deal with this.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 06:47:21 pm »
I think this is the stupidest thing to date Microsoft has done.  Seriously.  They're apparently not satisfied enough that someone is spending $400 on their software, but when that person upgrades because his current computer is shitty, they have to buy their OS again?  If that's not what "users must obtain a new license" means, feel free to correct me.  Just how I interpreted it.

I think they've done far stupider things.

Is this the inherent ruling?  If you an upgrade a PC, there's absolutely no way it'll work?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 06:54:30 pm »
Is this the inherent ruling?  If you an upgrade a PC, there's absolutely no way it'll work?

If you upgrade the motherboard, OEM versions of Windows will no longer work.  As far as I know, that's the absolute ruling. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 07:01:32 pm »
If you upgrade the motherboard, OEM versions of Windows will no longer work.  As far as I know, that's the absolute ruling. 

Bummer.  My friend always gets away with claiming his hard drive crashed.  He calls them, tells them that and they give him a new key.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 07:03:07 pm »
For the personal user, this isn't an issue. Microsoft requires such high standards of hardware (compared to some Linux distros or Unix / variations) that the personal user would have to be running something less current than Windows XP to have much of a reason to upgrade the motherboard.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 07:05:09 pm »
We argued about this on sb.net (me and Warrior).

In the end, we came down to "it's the way M$ licenses it" so I guess M$ just sucks the fat one.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 07:05:43 pm »
For the personal user, this isn't an issue. Microsoft requires such high standards of hardware (compared to some Linux distros or Unix / variations) that the personal user would have to be running something less current than Windows XP to have much of a reason to upgrade the motherboard.

You could easily run XP on a 1.5ghz and upgrade to a 3.2ghz processor, which would likely require a new board. 

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 07:45:43 pm »

You could easily run XP on a 1.5ghz and upgrade to a 3.2ghz processor, which would likely require a new board. 

If you're that far in the past, you shouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for the OS. From all the money you've saved not upgrading your system for 10 years, you can afford it.

Yeah, I realize my logic is flawed, but I still think that it's not too much of an issue for home users, especially those intelligent/daring enough not to use Windows or not to pay an arm and a leg.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 06:57:09 am »
If you're not buying mobos OEM, it doesn't matter.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 09:23:45 am »

If you're that far in the past, you shouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for the OS. From all the money you've saved not upgrading your system for 10 years, you can afford it.

Yeah, I realize my logic is flawed, but I still think that it's not too much of an issue for home users, especially those intelligent/daring enough not to use Windows or not to pay an arm and a leg.
I'm running 1.15GHz and I'm upgrading to a 2.6(or 2.4, don't remember)GHz San Diego 4000+.. I'm not able to pay for it out of my own pocket, so really *I* have saved nothing.  Not to mention that the money saved has gone back into mortgage, tuition for my brother's college, etc.  I think your logic is highly flawed, but that's just me.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine