Author Topic: More Microsoft Licensing fun!  (Read 15126 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: More Microsoft Licensing fun!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 10:27:22 am »
If you upgrade the motherboard, OEM versions of Windows will no longer work.  As far as I know, that's the absolute ruling. 

Bummer.  My friend always gets away with claiming his hard drive crashed.  He calls them, tells them that and they give him a new key.

I've said that and it's always worked. ;)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 01:06:35 pm »
For the personal user, this isn't an issue. Microsoft requires such high standards of hardware (compared to some Linux distros or Unix / variations) that the personal user would have to be running something less current than Windows XP to have much of a reason to upgrade the motherboard.

You could easily run XP on a 1.5ghz and upgrade to a 3.2ghz processor, which would likely require a new board. 

If you're that far in the past, you shouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for the OS. From all the money you've saved not upgrading your system for 10 years, you can afford it.

Yeah, I realize my logic is flawed, but I still think that it's not too much of an issue for home users, especially those intelligent/daring enough not to use Windows or not to pay an arm and a leg.
I'm running 1.15GHz and I'm upgrading to a 2.6(or 2.4, don't remember)GHz San Diego 4000+.. I'm not able to pay for it out of my own pocket, so really *I* have saved nothing.  Not to mention that the money saved has gone back into mortgage, tuition for my brother's college, etc.  I think your logic is highly flawed, but that's just me.

Please read my post. I know it's flawed, I'm just trying to give you some things to think about.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 02:53:22 pm »
Additionally a new mobo is as close to a new PC you can get..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 02:57:29 pm »
When it comes to stuff involving my operating system's functioning, I'd say that getting a new hard drive is as close as you can get.  But that's just me. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 03:05:05 pm »
So they should make it with every new HD it's a new PC?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 03:17:33 pm »

That's not what he was saying.  Anyway, I think it's stupid that there's no exception to this.  You bought the license for that computer.  It's effectively the same computer with new components.  Why should you have to pay for the OS again?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 03:27:44 pm »
No, with every HD it's a new operating system. 

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 03:34:04 pm »
Buy retail.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 03:40:43 pm »

So you need a new license then right?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 03:45:21 pm »

So you need a new license then right?

If you keep the old harddrive, then yes.  If you're planning on destroying the harddrive, then you can phone Microsoft and alert them to the travesty.  But in any case, if you replace the harddrive then you have to re-install Windows anyway, so same key or different it makes sense that your OS stops working. 

No matter what you do, if you replace your motherboard, it shouldn't cause your OS, which is firmly attached the harddrive and not at all attached to the motherboard, to stop working. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 05:13:06 pm »
But replacing the motherboard is basically replacing a new PC. I mean withought the Mobo..well you know..it isn't "Mother" for nothing.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 05:20:11 pm »
But replacing the motherboard is basically replacing a new PC. I mean withought the Mobo..well you know..it isn't "Mother" for nothing.

But it's not.  You may have to re-install the operating system in order to re-instate drivers, but it's not replacing the PC.  A motherboard can be as inexpensive as $40 (cheaper, if you look hard enough).  That's pretty far from the whole PC.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 05:27:18 pm »
How about if the OS keeps track of what you replace, and when you have replaced the original equipment it'll stop working :O why didn't they think of that eh?!
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 05:40:57 pm »
How about if the OS keeps track of what you replace, and when you have replaced the original equipment it'll stop working :O why didn't they think of that eh?!

They have.  Have you ever worked on one of the newer (last 4 years or so) retail computers?  By retail, I mean Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 05:55:27 pm »

They have.  Have you ever worked on one of the newer (last 4 years or so) retail computers?  By retail, I mean Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc.
Uhh... I've never worked extensively with them, I have replaced a CD drive on a Dell PC. Pain the ass .
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology