Author Topic: More Microsoft Licensing fun!  (Read 15125 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: More Microsoft Licensing fun!
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 06:28:13 pm »
But replacing the motherboard is basically replacing a new PC. I mean withought the Mobo..well you know..it isn't "Mother" for nothing.

But it's not.  You may have to re-install the operating system in order to re-instate drivers, but it's not replacing the PC.  A motherboard can be as inexpensive as $40 (cheaper, if you look hard enough).  That's pretty far from the whole PC.

You're replacing one of the most crucial PC parts..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2006, 06:34:33 pm »
You're replacing one of the most crucial PC parts..

But it's not a whole new PC.  It doesn't matter how crucial the part is.  In fact, I'd consider several other components equally important.  The CPU, Memory and Hard drive are vital for the performance of the computer.  There's no reason that replacing any one component of the computer should vindicate the requirement for a repurchace of a software license.  I can understand their security measures, but once this is confirmed, I believe they should re-validate the software at no charge.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2006, 06:42:11 pm »
Generally if you buy an OEM edition it's meant to be bundled with something like a Dell.
Now if you update the Mobo for anything other than a defect then PC is no longer either accepted by Dell Warranty nor is it a Valid OEM license since it isn't the original hardware the OEM was shipped with. This is because Windows is sold to companies at a reduced price and they dont want people just transfering Windows (Like you can do with FPP).
If you usually have the need to upgrade a mobo, you have Windows FPP and not OEM. Really, this is meant for buying these types of PCs in bulk for something like an office or a school.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2006, 06:44:24 pm »
Generally if you buy an OEM edition it's meant to be bundled with something like a Dell.
Now if you update the Mobo for anything other than a defect then PC is no longer either accepted by Dell Warranty nor is it a Valid OEM license since it isn't the original hardware the OEM was shipped with. This is because Windows is sold to companies at a reduced price and they dont want people just transfering Windows (Like you can do with FPP).
If you usually have the need to upgrade a mobo, you have Windows FPP and not OEM. Really, this is meant for buying these types of PCs in bulk for something like an office or a school.

I know why they do it.  I'm not disagreeing with it.  I'm disagreeing with their "If it breaks, you're fucked.  Buy the OS again." attitude.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 02:07:23 am »
In the .rtf it mentioned "Defective motherboard" not sure if that covers it become damaged overtime and needing a replacement though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 02:19:43 am »
In the .rtf it mentioned "Defective motherboard" not sure if that covers it become damaged overtime and needing a replacement though.

I've almost had to upgrade motherboards (because of the lack of a wanted/required feature) more than I've had to replace due to failure.  Again, I completely agree with their security measures, but I completely disagree that they will not make exceptions for instances that are due to "Acts of God" (catchall for power-surge, degeneration, etc).

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 02:29:31 am »
I agree it's pretty lame if they don't, all the times I've said that I've gotten it activated. Well except for onetime, then I just told him I was going to find a serial on the internet and hungup.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 02:37:37 am »
Well except for onetime, then I just told him I was going to find a serial on the internet and hungup.
lol gg. Record it next time :P
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 02:43:18 am »
I agree it's pretty lame if they don't, all the times I've said that I've gotten it activated. Well except for onetime, then I just told him I was going to find a serial on the internet and hungup.

I think it's probably different when you have to tell them you're using the OEM version.  Maybe I'm wrong, though. :)

Haha @ hanging up on Microsoft telling them that when they have all of your information. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 04:31:23 am »
They didnt really get much info hard to remember though.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 10:32:58 pm »
How about if the OS keeps track of what you replace, and when you have replaced the original equipment it'll stop working :O why didn't they think of that eh?!

They have.  Have you ever worked on one of the newer (last 4 years or so) retail computers?  By retail, I mean Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc.
Uhh... I've never worked extensively with them, I have replaced a CD drive on a Dell PC. Pain the ass .

I've replaced a two CD drives, a hard drive, a modem, and added a video card to my Dell PC. Oddly enough, the only thing that required a reinstall was the modem. ^_-

EDIT -
Quote from: Sidoh
The CPU, Memory and Hard drive are vital for the performance of the computer.
Commodore 128 didn't have a hard drive, but it was still awesome.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2006, 10:35:03 pm »
How about if the OS keeps track of what you replace, and when you have replaced the original equipment it'll stop working :O why didn't they think of that eh?!

They have.  Have you ever worked on one of the newer (last 4 years or so) retail computers?  By retail, I mean Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc.
Uhh... I've never worked extensively with them, I have replaced a CD drive on a Dell PC. Pain the ass .

I've replaced a two CD drives, a hard drive, a modem, and added a video card to my Dell PC. Oddly enough, the only thing that required a reinstall was the modem. ^_-

You didn't have to reinstall when you changed your harddrive?  How did you pull THAT off, exactly?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2006, 10:53:14 pm »
Maybe he replaced something that wasn't C:\?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2006, 11:41:55 pm »
Umm, I don't know but the Dell I worked on had these anti-screwdriver covers over their screws. Unfortunately they were flexible enough to allow my screwdriver in, barely though; it was all slanted and stuff.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2006, 09:29:01 am »
Commodore 128 didn't have a hard drive, but it was still awesome.

Who cares?  That's not even close to being related to this topic.