Author Topic: Microsoft putting the beats on Google  (Read 16625 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Microsoft putting the beats on Google
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 10:40:35 am »
Well it depends if they do kick everyone elses ass, it wouldn't be wise to dismiss it either. Google doesn't have some magical undiscovered technology, it's just been the boldest corporation to implement search on such a widescale. Sure MS may want some of googles techniques but the technology they use isn't anything drasticly different from anything else.

I think it does.  It searches through ~7 Billion websites (with hundreds, sometimes even thousands) of pages in less than a second.

Microsoft isn't going to beat Google.

By the way, if you read that article I linked you, you'll know that Ballmer threw a chair across the room when he found Ralmulk (sp?) was leaving Microsoft for a job at Google.

It doesn't display them all on the same page..it isn't hard to get a number of pages meeting the criteria. They just display them as they get them back.

So what you're saying is that they also sort the millions/billions of pages based on what you typed.  Why are you trying to strengthen Sidoh's point? :P

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 10:42:51 am »
No, I'm saying it reduces the load of fetching them..you know unless you forgot how SQL works ..you can provide a limit. It will stop fetching after it reaches that limit..the speed is impressive but nothing no one else can't beat withought trying some.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 10:48:17 am »
No, I'm saying it reduces the load of fetching them..you know unless you forgot how SQL works ..you can provide a limit. It will stop fetching after it reaches that limit..the speed is impressive but nothing no one else can't beat withought trying some.

It still has to sort it all, based on your search criteria, before it can limit them.  Sorting is generally pretty fast, with a decent amount of hardware memory.  Sorting a database that doesn't fit into main memory takes something like:

2(p) * (1 + log<b>(p/b))

i/o operations.  Where b is the number of pages that can fit into active memory and p is the number of pages that are being sorted.  The result is the number of disk i/o's required, which is the bottleneck operation. 

Since Google doesn't know what you're going to type before you type it, that means that this has to be done every time somebody types something.  Unless they've come up with a different way of indexing, but that's the way it's done in the popular relational databases (Oracle, MSSql, and MySQL for sure). 

For more information on how data is sorted in a database, Google (ha) for "external mergesort". 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 07:01:19 pm by iago »

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 02:27:17 pm »
Google doesnt seem to be as great as it used to be for me. I think other engines have learned from Google though.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 04:26:10 pm »

It still has to sort it all, based on your search criteria, before it can limit them.  Sorting is generally pretty fast, with a decent amount of hardware memory.  Sorting a database that doesn't fit into main memory takes something like:

2(p) * (1 + log(p/b))

i/o operations.  Where b is the number of pages that can fit into active memory and p is the number of pages that are being sorted.  The result is the number of disk i/o's required, which is the bottleneck operation. 

Since Google doesn't know what you're going to type before you type it, that means that this has to be done every time somebody types something.  Unless they've come up with a different way of indexing, but that's the way it's done in the popular relational databases (Oracle, MSSql, and MySQL for sure). 

For more information on how data is sorted in a database, Google (ha) for "external mergesort". 

That's nice an all but if they use an SQL variant then they really are just using the technology that already exists. Still havn't found anything unique that they do thus far.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 06:30:13 pm »

That's nice an all but if they use an SQL variant then they really are just using the technology that already exists. Still havn't found anything unique that they do thus far.

You lost this argument, man, give it a rest!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 07:01:56 pm »

2(p) * (1 + log(p/b))

What the hell are you talking about?  YOU are the one who brought up SQL, and I was explaining to you why normal SQL would probably be too slow. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 07:07:56 pm »
* Sidoh bashes his head on his desk repeatedly as he gives up hope on Warrior.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 07:23:07 am »

2(p) * (1 + log(p/b))

What the hell are you talking about?  YOU are the one who brought up SQL, and I was explaining to you why normal SQL would probably be too slow. 

Okay so tell me, what other technology can they possible utilize to sort through the billions of entries?

Additionally:
How would fetching entries with a limit possibly be slow? A technology which specializes in reading large amounts of data combined with a speedy server can indeed get the job done, you're just thinking unrealisticly.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 12:00:14 pm »
Okay so tell me, what other technology can they possible utilize to sort through the billions of entries?

Are you seriously implying its impossible to use other database/search routines when SQL possibilities are excluded?  Hahahahah....

It's obviously something else, though.  Look:

Results 1 - 10 of about 6,980,000 for what's your favorite band right now. (0.22 seconds)

I just copied/pasted a random line of text from one of the IM windows I had open.  0.22 seconds to estimate that there are 6,980,000 articles related to my query?  Sure sounds like SQL to me... *cough*

Additionally:
How would fetching entries with a limit possibly be slow? A technology which specializes in reading large amounts of data combined with a speedy server can indeed get the job done, you're just thinking unrealisticly.

For the third time: because it doesn't pre-order the searches for every possible query.  It searches and then sorts.

you're just thinking unrealisticly.

You're not thinking at all.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 12:53:18 pm »
For the third time: because it doesn't pre-order the searches for every possible query.  It searches and then sorts.
Exactly.

DINGDINGDING winner!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2006, 01:36:04 pm »
I R WEENAR.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2006, 01:58:50 pm »

Are you seriously implying its impossible to use other database/search routines when SQL possibilities are excluded?  Hahahahah....

It's obviously something else, though.  Look:

Results 1 - 10 of about 6,980,000 for what's your favorite band right now. (0.22 seconds)

I just copied/pasted a random line of text from one of the IM windows I had open.  0.22 seconds to estimate that there are 6,980,000 articles related to my query?  Sure sounds like SQL to me... *cough*

With fast enough servers getting a ballpark figure isn't too hard. Please.

Additionally:

How would you know this? Link to an article, doc, specification, anything.

[/quote]

Cmon Sidoh, this is your usual insult the person instead of come up with something smart. Get over it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 02:13:29 pm »

Find me a fast enough server then, please.  Additionally, it's not SQL.  SQL doesn't "estimate" things.  It's a query language.  It gives what you ask for.  Google does not use SQL, it uses something better.  Get over it.

Because it's COMMON SENSE.  How could they possibly construct a list of every possible query that people are going to use?  They're not going to.  They're going to develop algorithms to sort search results dynamically.  Since they update their possible results with every web crawl they do, they'd constantly be re-sorting the results.  The results would be less relevant and Google would suck more than it does now.

Warrior, use your fucking headOpen your eyes.

Cmon Sidoh, this is your usual insult the person instead of come up with something smart. Get over it.

It's not an insult, Warrior.  You can take it as such, but if its the case, it was a secondary cause.  It's a retort.  You're not thinking -- it's the truth.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2006, 02:20:59 pm »

Find me a fast enough server then, please.  Additionally, it's not SQL.  SQL doesn't "estimate" things.  It's a query language.  It gives what you ask for.  Google does not use SQL, it uses something better.  Get over it.

SQL organizes how it reads the data,  anything else would do something extremely similiar.
Additionally, how can it use something "better" if by what you say "it's not SQL"..?

Because it's COMMON SENSE.  How could they possibly construct a list of every possible query that people are going to use?  They're not going to.  They're going to develop algorithms to sort search results dynamically.  Since they update their possible results with every web crawl they do, they'd constantly be re-sorting the results.  The results would be less relevant and Google would suck more than it does now.

Warrior, use your fucking headOpen your eyes.

It isn't very hard actually. You can get a ballpark figure easily "on the fly" and it isn't like their webcrawls are done everytime you search either. It's using old data it collects.

It's not an insult, Warrior.  You can take it as such, but if its the case, it was a secondary cause.  It's a retort.  You're not thinking -- it's the truth.
[/quote]

It's impossible to not be thinking unless you're dead so I'll take it you're either indeed insulting or just posting random bull which wouldn't be out of character for you.