Author Topic: Some of My Work  (Read 13885 times)

Offline Goldraptor

• View Profile
    • Digital Pulse
Some of My Work
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:58:23 pm »
Just wanted to post a link to some of my work, opinions welcome ^.^

http://www.digitalpulse.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Some of My Work
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:48:41 pm »
It's very disappointing to me that people assume "Graphic forum" is synonymous with "post your signature forum".
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:12:52 pm »
It's very disappointing to me that people assume "Graphic forum" is synonymous with "post your signature forum".
... -.-;;
I think since it's a graphics forum it shouldn't matter what they post on here as long as it deals with graphics. :D
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 08:59:05 pm »

That's not a collection of cruddy signatures, that's a showing of his applied graphics 5K1LLZ.

Here's the former:

EDIT -
and some more! (I don't even remember what these say. The first is something about your inner gangster, and the second is "get laid")

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 09:00:42 pm by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 09:07:00 pm »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:07:40 pm »
Those are some gosu signatures. :D
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 09:15:17 pm »
That's getting annoying Sidoh.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 09:21:52 pm »

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:25 am »
I think your signatures are a graphics too and do count..
Nice work.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 04:42:36 pm »
Nice work.

But what formal training have you had to base this opinion on? Many college-level and graduated digital art students disagree with you, are they wrong?
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 10:25:08 pm »
Nice work.

But what formal training have you had to base this opinion on? Many college-level and graduated digital art students disagree with you, are they wrong?
Look at my signature. That took some work in Paint Shop Pro, I am proud of it and I show it off. It its a work. It is a graphic. Let him show his stuff off, it's obviously a graphic, theres nothing wrong with showing it off.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 12:52:36 am »
The point is that it's easy to do, relatively speaking.  Quik is saying that experienced people think signature art is an inferior form of art since it requires so much less work.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 04:00:25 pm »
I'd like to see you start complaining every time someone mentions VB as well, if signatures being inferior to full-scale graphics is a legit reason for them not to be posted.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 04:08:45 pm »
I'd like to see you start complaining every time someone mentions VB as well, if signatures being inferior to full-scale graphics is a legit reason for them not to be posted.

They are neither synonymous or analogous.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 05:16:18 pm »
He's posting a goddamn picture..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 05:29:06 pm »

They are neither synonymous or analogous.

Big pictures > Signatures
Java > VB
{Big Pictures, Java} > {Signatures, VB}

Get it now?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 05:31:57 pm »
He's posting a goddamn picture..

I don't really agree with Quik.  I was explaining his point.

Big pictures > Signatures
Java > VB
{Big Pictures, Java} > {Signatures, VB}

Get it now?

Are you mentally retarded?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 09:24:58 pm »
Are you?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 09:48:24 pm »
Are you?

No, but obviously you think I am, which is strange (and concurrently humerous), given the circumstances.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 08:07:42 pm »
GFX is GFX.

No matter what the graphic is, it should be posted to show the world. Becuase
college-level and graduated digital art students
disagree that sigantures arent graphics or a lesser form of graphic design dosent mean you cant post it. I mean do you want us to make a fucking Abstarct background and post it? To some other people that is easy. So It dosent really matter.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline mitosis

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 01:56:49 pm »
Lmao, this is funny to listen to. Art is art, but you guys need to know. Quik is telling you how it is. If you go to a real design forum, signatures aren't praised like you guys think.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 01:59:06 pm »
Lmao, this is funny to listen to. Art is art, but you guys need to know. Quik is telling you how it is. If you go to a real design forum, signatures aren't praised like you guys think.
Good thing that this is just a Graphics board and not a "design forum". :)

If it was a design forum then I could understand where you guys are coming from, but it's not.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 03:52:48 pm »

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 05:57:41 pm »

If it was a design forum then I could understand where you guys are coming from, but it's not.

I still think the quasi-elitism of those art forums is justified and we should carry it over to this board. Just because one is an entire devoted forum and ours is mearly a board, we should still have same high-class opinions of what art is.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 09:49:18 pm »

I still think the quasi-elitism of those art forums is justified and we should carry it over to this board. Just because one is an entire devoted forum and ours is mearly a board, we should still have same high-class opinions of what art is.
Kaka..

I think signatures are still pretty good, even if you guys don't consider them full fledge art.  The board says "Graphics" which can be interpreted in a variety of ways, and each way is justified by the person holding that view and thus should be taken into consideration whether or not your view collides with theirs or not.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline mitosis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 07:23:28 pm »
Signatures require no real effort. Many of you post tutorial bases works and slab your name on it and think it's great. If you guys want real criticism, spend more than 10 minutes working in Photoshop. Go read up on design concepts and learn the basics, then maybe what you make will deserve a good opinion.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 12:16:42 am »
Nice bump nub.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 01:57:08 pm »
Signatures require no real effort. Many of you post tutorial bases works and slab your name on it and think it's great. If you guys want real criticism, spend more than 10 minutes working in Photoshop. Go read up on design concepts and learn the basics, then maybe what you make will deserve a good opinion.
For some people it takes them a longer time to create a signature because they are not yet skilled with photshop.  Sure, signatures are a lesser form of graphic compared to crazy designs, but it's still a graphic none-the-less and shouldn't be treated any differently.  Too me, on these forums, that's retarded.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 05:41:58 pm »
For some people it takes them a longer time to create a signature because they are not yet skilled with photshop.  Sure, signatures are a lesser form of graphic compared to crazy designs, but it's still a graphic none-the-less and shouldn't be treated any differently.  Too me, on these forums, that's retarded.

The arguements against your opinion are that they are much lesser forms because they are able to be created with minimal to no knowledge of the graphics medium such as Photoshop. It takes no talent, even Pavlov's dog could follow the directions of some of the tutorials out there, because they all start off the same.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 09:37:58 pm »

The arguements against your opinion are that they are much lesser forms because they are able to be created with minimal to no knowledge of the graphics medium such as Photoshop. It takes no talent, even Pavlov's dog could follow the directions of some of the tutorials out there, because they all start off the same.
Haha.  I don't think Pavlov's dog could do much more then slober on himself let alone follow a tutorial.

I agree that signatures are much easier to make compared to most other graphics and that they don't take much talent, but I still think they should  be allowed to be posted into a *Graphics* section of a forum without someone freaking out about it while that person is proud of their work and are showing it off.  And I don't see anything wrong with that regardless of how simple it is to some people.  Keep into consideration that signatures are starting points for people in photoshop.  It would be like your parents, who were way more experienced than you in Kindergarten, laughing at you because you were proud at the fact that you could finally say your ABC's and you were showing it off to everyone else.  That's just down right mean.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline mitosis

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 10:05:51 pm »
Signatures don't get you anywhere. What are you learning from them? Maybe a trendwhore effect, but that's it. You don't really see any design elements in them. Whether you are
skilled with photshop
or not, if you do not apply any of the design theories to your work, it won't be great. It doesn't matter how 'skilled' you are, work on a piece for more than 10 minutes and try to make something out of it. Maybe if you guys stopped posting forum signatures/thinking that they are 1337, you will get some constructive criticism.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2006, 11:05:07 pm »
Signatures don't get you anywhere. What are you learning from them? Maybe a trendwhore effect, but that's it. You don't really see any design elements in them. Whether you are
skilled with photshop
or not, if you do not apply any of the design theories to your work, it won't be great. It doesn't matter how 'skilled' you are, work on a piece for more than 10 minutes and try to make something out of it. Maybe if you guys stopped posting forum signatures/thinking that they are 1337, you will get some constructive criticism.
What do you mean you learn nothing from signatures?  You learn the basic design principals.  You learn how to use gradients, fonts, color schemes, etc while still making something useful with photoshop.  I think it's pretty arrogent to say that you don't learn anything and to say that just because they don't make something up to your standards that they deserve less for what they have done.  If you don't have constructive criticism or something nice to say, then don't waste your time posting. 

And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2006, 11:40:21 pm »

Haha.  I don't think Pavlov's dog could do much more then slober on himself let alone follow a tutorial.

I agree that signatures are much easier to make compared to most other graphics and that they don't take much talent, but I still think they should  be allowed to be posted into a *Graphics* section of a forum without someone freaking out about it while that person is proud of their work and are showing it off.  And I don't see anything wrong with that regardless of how simple it is to some people.  Keep into consideration that signatures are starting points for people in photoshop.  It would be like your parents, who were way more experienced than you in Kindergarten, laughing at you because you were proud at the fact that you could finally say your ABC's and you were showing it off to everyone else.  That's just down right mean.

You missed the entire point of the analogy. Also, nobody is freaking out, we're just stating our views in an open discussion: it's what forums were created for.

Signatures being the starting point for graphics artists is similar to programmers starting out in Visual Basic. Many, many talented programmers suggest that it might not be the best idea, for similar reasons.

Offline mitosis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 07:11:21 am »
Well put, Quik.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 01:01:41 pm »

You missed the entire point of the analogy. Also, nobody is freaking out, we're just stating our views in an open discussion: it's what forums were created for.

Signatures being the starting point for graphics artists is similar to programmers starting out in Visual Basic. Many, many talented programmers suggest that it might not be the best idea, for similar reasons.
1) I didn't miss your analogy.
2) I know no one is freaking out, neither am I.  If my last post came across that way, I apologize.
3) Yes, you are probably right that signatures are like Visual Basic in the fact that there are faults with starting out with both.  You probably know more than I do about signatures and what not, but I still think it doesn't matter what you post in a graphics forum as long as it is a graphical picture of some sort.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 03:14:09 pm »
Is it just me, or does Quik have to put down one person a day?
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 03:57:36 pm »
Locked... this is going nowhere.