Author Topic: pkgng: FreeBSD has become practical  (Read 9490 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
pkgng: FreeBSD has become practical
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:53:55 am »
Words cannot describe how easy FreeBSD packagement package management has become recently.

They're finally pushing precompiled binaries with their apt/yum-like pkg tool (no man page yet).

pkg install thing
pkg delete thing
pkg update
pkg upgrade
etc...

(which are superior to older tools like pkg_{install,delete,update,upgrade} etc...)

But they haven't entirely ditched ports. Instead, they made a repository tool (poudriere) that makes building custom repositories child's play. This tool of course revolves around ports.

Poudriere uses a combination of ports and jails (VMs) to build and package applications and places them into a folder that is immediately ready to be served over NFS or HTTP and accessed with pkg. It's very easy to configure, the tool will actually download a FreeBSD image, sync the ports tree and build ports into packages with your own specified compile-time options (if any).

Here's a tutorial of someone building a KMS-specific repository (which I had to do for one of my Intel-based machines):
http://negativo17.org/freebsd-10-new-x-org-kms-pkgng-poudriere/

That's remarkably easy! (EDIT: There's no need to build the kernel and world now)

It's certainly an improvement in practicality. FreeBSD can now probably be setup and configured in a comparable amount of time as any Linux distribution minus the pre-installed components (FreeBSD is not pre-installed with anything).

Anyway, if you ever cared to try something like FreeBSD, wait another a month for FreeBSD 10 to be released and give it a spin. It should be orders of magnitude easier and less time consuming to setup.

EDIT: Spelling.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:44:59 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: pkgng: FreeBSD has become practical
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:51:49 pm »
ports was pretty awesome to begin with!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:20:33 am »
Gentoo 4 lyfe.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:54:44 pm »
ports was pretty awesome to begin with!
Except it takes an hour or two to compile big projects like Firefox with a powerful machine. Ports is practical with small and self-contained applications though.

I have a netbook for casual surfing and that runs FreeBSD for obvious reasons (namely Windows 7 is unbearably slow on this type of system). Ports is even worse there (it takes several hours to compile Firefox).

I got into poudriere because the netbook needs a recent version of the Intel X11 driver which requires KMS to be enabled. However, the official FreeBSD package repository for 9.x is compiled with KMS disabled ... hence I had to create my own mini KMS repository.

By the way, if you want to try poudriere for pkgng on FreeBSD 9.x, you'll need to add
Code: [Select]
WITH_PKGNG=yes
to poudriere's make.conf.

Otherwise, it will build packages for the legacy tools.
An adorable giant isopod!