Author Topic: Multitasking is bad for you....  (Read 9400 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Multitasking is bad for you....
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:35:06 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060320-6417.html

I have seen this article everywhere.. I saw it on the internet, I saw it on time magazine's front page, and I saw it on T.V..  What do you guys think about this?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: Multitasking is bad for you....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 05:41:43 pm »
condemns the youth of the nation as gadget-obsessed, perennially multitasking, social failures who can't really get into anything important or even relax.
I know ALOT of people who are like that. I might ask what they define as "social failure", though:
The article notes that notebooks in college classrooms (now WiFi enabled more often than not) aren't used for notetaking anymore, but for IMing your friends about how boring the lecture is and for collecting Keira Knightley pics in your blog.

When class rings out, a roomful of teens reach for their cell phones to call or SMS buddies down the hall, or even in the same room.
Why do they admit most teenagers connect to other teenagers while multitasking, but say that this is what leads to "social failure"?!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 05:46:59 pm by GameSnake »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:12:40 pm »
I don't consider socializing on the internet socializing at all. :p
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:54:15 pm »
You must not be a very social person then, Nooby.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:59:50 pm »

I definitely consider it socializing.  I'm definitely closer to real-life friends, but I don't consider it much different. 

But yeah, I have trouble multitasking.  If I have Gaim open while trying to do homework, one of them totally suffers. 

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 07:08:02 pm »

I definitely consider it socializing.  I'm definitely closer to real-life friends, but I don't consider it much different. 

But yeah, I have trouble multitasking.  If I have Gaim open while trying to do homework, one of them totally suffers. 

Same. But only instead of gaim its WoW. Then I usally just toss my homework aside and go to AV.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:11:35 pm »

Same. But only instead of gaim its WoW. Then I usally just toss my homework aside and go to AV.

I don't know what AV is.  But that's an advantage to using Linux -- very few games to distract me here :)

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:13:13 pm »

I don't know what AV is.  But that's an advantage to using Linux -- very few games to distract me here :)

Jesus. I forgot >.> Your one of the lucky few that havent caught the WoW virus. I say you buy a $100 hand crank laptop and start playing.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 07:17:27 pm »
Jesus. I forgot >.> Your one of the lucky few that havent caught the WoW virus. I say you buy a $100 hand crank laptop and start playing.
You obviously don't know much about the $100 laptop.  They come with Linux, which is the same problem! :P

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 07:20:40 pm »
You obviously don't know much about the $100 laptop.  They come with Linux, which is the same problem! :P
Yeah, or else the OS would cost more than the hardware, LOL.

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 07:24:01 pm »

When Vista comes out do you plan on installing it? I mean your going to have to give in one of these years. Dont buy it right away, Probally after Patch 5.0 comes out. >.>

I want to try Linux but I see no use. Unless your going to use it for projects that your never going to finsh "Raises hand" I dont see the point. IF you could iago sir give me 5 reason to get Linux over Vista. (After about 4 patchs come out to fix the bugs)
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 07:47:40 pm »

When Vista comes out do you plan on installing it? I mean your going to have to give in one of these years. Dont buy it right away, Probally after Patch 5.0 comes out. >.>

I want to try Linux but I see no use. Unless your going to use it for projects that your never going to finsh "Raises hand" I dont see the point. IF you could iago sir give me 5 reason to get Linux over Vista. (After about 4 patchs come out to fix the bugs)

Unless Vista totally flops, I'll have to learn how to use it.  I don't have a choice, unfortunately. 

I can name plenty of reasons, and I have, but this isn't really the place. 

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:06 pm »
Freaky. I just came home and finished reading the Time article, then decide to mazeltov around forum, and come upon the exact same topic!
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 09:17:59 pm »

At least, until Windows Starter Edition comes out this fall, which is geared towards the same markets as this laptop.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 10:32:29 pm »

At least, until Windows Starter Edition comes out this fall, which is geared towards the same markets as this laptop.

If that's part of Vista, then it got pushed back to January. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:41:46 pm »
It's always been January 2007..versions availible to buisnesses (and pirates) go out this fall/winter but the rest has been known to be 07. I had a feeling when Steve Jobs put the date of Longhorn release showing some of the gadgets off, it read 12/31/06
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 04:15:28 pm »
Hmm, from this article:

Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system has been beset with another delay. After clearly pinpointing the holiday season of 2006 for launch, the company has now revised their primary launch period to 2007.

Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Platforms & Services Division, told analysts that the target time has been bumped to January 2007 for all consumer versions of Windows. He also said that editions aimed at business users would be available as early as November through volume licensing programs.

"We needed just a few more weeks," Allchin said in a conference call. In a press release, he said "the industry requires greater lead time to deliver Windows Vista on new PCs during holiday. We must optimize for the industry, so we've decided to separate business and consumer availability."

Are they just wrong?  I don't know. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 05:53:35 pm »
What I think (and what my evidence suggests) is that it's been secretly Jan 07 for a while but they were hoping if they went a little faster they could release it earlier than expected. Of course that's what I think.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 07:16:29 pm »
It may affect early market share numbers for Vista, however, as some 33 percent of computers are supposedly sold during this time of year. A holiday launch would have likely resulted in the majority of those computers being installed with Windows Vista.
$10 says that computers sold during the holiday season will have some kind of voucher for free or heavily-discounted version of Windows Vista after release.  They've done it before -- I want to say with 98->Me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 08:31:04 pm »
It may affect early market share numbers for Vista, however, as some 33 percent of computers are supposedly sold during this time of year. A holiday launch would have likely resulted in the majority of those computers being installed with Windows Vista.
$10 says that computers sold during the holiday season will have some kind of voucher for free or heavily-discounted version of Windows Vista after release.  They've done it before -- I want to say with 98->Me.
98 -> me, aka, "a bad move" :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 09:30:33 pm »
Alright, good job people, we are almost on topic!  Yay!

Anyways.. I don't see that much wrong with multitasking.  I have done it for years and nothing has happened to me because of it.  I haven't lost anything that is important because of it.
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:31:36 pm »

Anyways.. I don't see that much wrong with multitasking.  I have done it for years and nothing has happened to me because of it.  I haven't lost anything that is important because of it.

That's what you think...

Have you seen your penis lately?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 09:40:45 pm »

That's what you think...

Have you seen your penis lately?
Haha - Actualy like a minute ago while I was pissing on your mom!!

J/k
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 09:45:31 pm »

This is my preference for Windows OSes in order from most despised to most liked:

98   NT 4.0   3.1   Me   95   2000    XP

As you can see, I think Me is vastly superior to Windows 98, although I think 95 was superior to both.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 10:33:19 pm »

This is my preference for Windows OSes in order from most despised to most liked:

As you can see, I think Me is vastly superior to Windows 98, although I think 95 was superior to both.

Any reason for 98 being at the back?  It seems more common to put ME at the back, but I've never used it so I couldn't say. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 10:44:22 pm »
All code running in PL0

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 10:50:48 pm »

Any reason for 98 being at the back?  It seems more common to put ME at the back, but I've never used it so I couldn't say. 

Me was marginally more stable than 98 and much more functional than the other three OSes.  98 took all the great things 95 had done and broke them, plain and simple.  It grew bugs like athlete's foot; over the course of only a few months a system would become virtually unusable.

I think in general, 3.1 was more usable than NT 4.0, plus you had easy access to real DOS for legacy applications.

2000 brought great strides in both legacy compatibility and moving forward technologically, and IMO XP improved in it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 11:03:05 pm »
MyndFyre -- cool.  I didn't have the same experience, I found that 98 ran smoother than 95, but they both sucked. 

All code running in PL0
Isn't that true for all the 9x-based Windowses?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 11:16:11 pm »
MyndFyre -- cool.  I didn't have the same experience, I found that 98 ran smoother than 95, but they both sucked. 

All code running in PL0
Isn't that true for all the 9x-based Windowses?

Yes it is, I just hate all 9x releases in general. ME was alright but it was unstable as they were just pioneering new technologies.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 11:30:51 pm »
Back on topic-
I find that when I try to multi-task, I accomplish less than I would if I did them consecutively, but indivitually.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 11:40:47 pm »
Back on topic-
I find that when I try to multi-task, I accomplish less than I would if I did them consecutively, but indivitually.

I think this merrits the good ol' owl, towelie:

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2006, 10:36:52 am »
Hahahaha Sidoh.  I know of two people (myself included) that know of the owl in real life.  It's flippin' hilarious.  Last Saturday I was at my friend's house working on a class presentation on The Odyssey (we got to act :D).  My other friend that was in our group said something and the kid who's house we were at was like "O RLY?" and I laughed so hard.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 02:30:02 pm »
Multitasking is bad for us now. Grrrrreat.. I believe concentrating on many things at once makes it harder to come back and focus on just one thing at a time, even when you want to.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 11:40:58 pm »
I grew up with a controller in my hand, I kick ass at multitasking and doing both things good, or at least acceptably well.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 11:44:54 pm »
Multitasking is bad for us now. Grrrrreat.. I believe concentrating on many things at once makes it harder to come back and focus on just one thing at a time, even when you want to.

Thats what the article says...