Author Topic: Stem Cell Research  (Read 11670 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Stem Cell Research
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:13:58 pm »
Are you guys for or against it?  I know right now in Missouri there is a big push for it to be allowed.

So, before I state what I think I want to hear from some of you.

What do you think about Stem Cell Research?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Feanor

• View Profile
Re: Stem Cell Research
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:16:14 pm »
Allow it. There is no good reason not to (it is not a right to life question) and it helps save lives.
Share the knowledge.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:22:13 pm »
Allow it. There is no good reason not to (it is not a right to life question) and it helps save lives.
And that is where the argument lies.  It is for some people a right to life question. 

When doing this they take the nucleus from the egg and the sperm cells and put them together.  Once that is done the scientists have 14 days before brain development begins. 

So since there is potential for it to turn into a human it does have to do with the right to life question.  All they need to do is insert it into a womb.
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:01:38 pm »
I have no opposition to the research, but how the stem cells are obtained..well, if baby farming starts I'll be very displeased, but if a stillborn or something is donated, go for it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 02:41:18 pm »
And that is where the argument lies.  It is for some people a right to life question. 

When doing this they take the nucleus from the egg and the sperm cells and put them together.  Once that is done the scientists have 14 days before brain development begins. 

So since there is potential for it to turn into a human it does have to do with the right to life question.  All they need to do is insert it into a womb.

Just because the brain hasn't developed, it doesn't mean that the fetus is not human.  It may be a human being with a soul and everything from the moment of conception.  There is no evidence (and I don't think it's possible to find evidence) that the human doesn't become human instantly. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 02:42:35 pm »
Children are and should be born by a female and a male reproduction and birth procress. Simply taking and using stem cells and saying it is morally wrong, is like saying your never morally right for wanting to continue science to help the sick, dying and suffering.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 02:43:54 pm »
Children are and should be born by a female and a male reproduction and birth procress. Simply taking and using stem cells and saying it is morally wrong, is like saying your never morally right for wanting to continue science to help the sick, dying and suffering.

It has nothing to do with not wanting to help people.  It has to do with the possibility that you're killing a human being (which we call murder) in order to help people.  As much as it would be nice to be able to kill people if it will benefit more, our society just doesn't work like that. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 03:21:16 pm »
I have no opposition to the research, but how the stem cells are obtained..well, if baby farming starts I'll be very displeased, but if a stillborn or something is donated, go for it.

There are ill-moralled people that exist in this world.  If stem cell research is allowed, I think it's inevitable that this will start at some time.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:30:21 pm »
Depending upon how stuff is obtained, go for it.

I don't know enough, though, to make a big decision.

What stages do the scientists work on these embryos?

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 06:41:53 pm »

It has nothing to do with not wanting to help people.  It has to do with the possibility that you're killing a human being (which we call murder) in order to help people.  As much as it would be nice to be able to kill people if it will benefit more, our society just doesn't work like that. 
Really, a cell is a human being? I never knew that.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 07:27:18 pm »

And you wonder why people flame you?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 07:30:49 pm »

Just because the brain hasn't developed, it doesn't mean that the fetus is not human.  It may be a human being with a soul and everything from the moment of conception.  There is no evidence (and I don't think it's possible to find evidence) that the human doesn't become human instantly. 
I think you misunderstood what I said iago.  I completly agree with you on what you just said and that was what I was trying to convey in my last post.  Sorry if it didn't turn out that way. :)

Well it depends Gamesnake.  Once the sperm and the egg meet that is when the baby starts to form.  It starts out as a single celled organism and then multiplies.  So to answer your question you would need to know when an embryo is a human and when it's just a clump of cells.

I for one think that stem cell research is wrong and that it is murder.  I feel that if it is allowed this will lead to many other things that could hurt people for science.  I also think that once the sperm and the egg meet and divide that is when a human is created.  So to me what they are doing is murder.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 07:32:08 pm »
Holy shit!  iago, I was wrong about you!  You *aren't* a completely lost cause!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 07:33:10 pm »
Holy shit!  iago, I was wrong about you!  You *aren't* a completely lost cause!
I know, I was surprised when *he* said that too. :D
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 07:48:04 pm »
As long as they don't "farm" the fetuses (feti?) it's fine with me.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...