Author Topic: Next Year's Classes  (Read 25898 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Next Year's Classes
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 04:31:10 am »
It's a requirement for two of the Associates Degrees that I'm going for.  If it wasn't for that then I wouldn't be taking it.  The name's also misleading—It's Visual Basic .NET.  ;p

This summer will mark the end of my boring intro classes.   hehe.

* Sidoh gasps!

Visual Basic ... .NET?!  LoRd, you'd better drop out.  I don't know if you can handle it.

That's good.  I hate requirements. :(

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2006, 04:36:05 am »
mhm.  Prerequisites are evil especially when you know more than your teacher does.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2006, 08:53:26 am »
Hmm. Senior year.

Taking like 5 classes in my school, taking auto mechanics at a tech school, and then taking 4 classes in night school. (I'll have 12 credits at the end of this year, I need to get about 12 more to graduate next year, in one year.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2006, 09:29:12 am »
I contest that there most be non-AP AND non-college prep courses that fulfill the graduation requirements, like.. normal courses. If not, then your school is encouraging too many people to join AP classes, a clear indication that tey are not up to par with the level that should be expected of a college course.

Do you understand why I am telling you that it's not a good idea to take so many AP classes? Or even advanced classes that are easy?

There are no non-AP/non-CP classes for calculus, statistics, 4th year Spanish, English/History (Senior year there are honors classes! hooray!), biology (1st year college prep/remedial or 2nd year AP), chemistry I am in honors but the AP class = 2nd year, physics is honors I think but requires the completion of calculus, and Art History is AP or college prep. And if there aren't enough kids for the AP Art History, everyone gets put in the college prep one.

I know why you're telling me not to take all these AP classes, but you have to realize that the AP classes are really just slightly-above-honors level. :/

Towelie -- I may drop biology, but I'd rather take only 5 classes my senior year.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2006, 12:45:11 pm »
I know why you're telling me not to take all these AP classes, but you have to realize that the AP classes are really just slightly-above-honors level. :/

AP has a government mandated ciriculum.  Honors classes are organized by a local school board (or in most cases, the person who's teaching the class).  I'm in "Honors Physics," which I personally feel is a lot more thorough than AP Physics (from what I've heard of the class, anyway).  We're using college books (which isn't all that impressive, but it's better than books that contain nothing but Newtonian Physics) that are really awesome.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2006, 03:02:21 pm »
I contest that there most be non-AP AND non-college prep courses that fulfill the graduation requirements, like.. normal courses. If not, then your school is encouraging too many people to join AP classes, a clear indication that tey are not up to par with the level that should be expected of a college course.

Do you understand why I am telling you that it's not a good idea to take so many AP classes? Or even advanced classes that are easy?

There are no non-AP/non-CP classes for calculus, statistics, 4th year Spanish, English/History (Senior year there are honors classes! hooray!), biology (1st year college prep/remedial or 2nd year AP), chemistry I am in honors but the AP class = 2nd year, physics is honors I think but requires the completion of calculus, and Art History is AP or college prep. And if there aren't enough kids for the AP Art History, everyone gets put in the college prep one.

Towelie -- I may drop biology, but I'd rather take only 5 classes my senior year.
oh yeah, you didnt take 7 classes your freshman year, so you cant do 5 junior and senior year.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2006, 05:44:51 pm »
Need I say it again?
If it helps you sleep better at night, go for it.

Things you don't like are clearly useless.
Of course.  The world is based around me because I rule.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2006, 06:11:36 pm »
Of course.  The world is based around me because I rule.

epeen.  you wish, k.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2006, 07:00:09 pm »
epeen.  you wish, k.
Sarcasm ftw!
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2006, 08:58:05 pm »
At my school, when you're a junior or a senior, they are literally no alternatives to taking an AP/IB class. To stay in IB, you need to maintain a ~4.6-4.8(Not quite sure) GPA to remain in the program. Meaning, you must take an AP or IB course. IB courses are even sometimes harder than AP courses, and they both count for college credit. I'm only going to be a sophmore next year, and two of my AP courses are literally required. We only have a choice for one elective, and thats it. If we don't take an AP/IB(IB courses are weighted 5.0 also), for our first elective, our GPA would be to low to stay in the program. If anything, I would advise you to take the AP courses you actually like, and for the ones that you probably might need to take to impress your colleges(Art History for example), just take the AP Exam. Also, in our school, no matter what your grade is, if you get a 5 on the AP Exam, you automatically get an A in the class. Some classes I would just advise you to stay away from. AP Statistics for example. Statistics to math is what a quadraplegic homosexual midget is to a human.

God I hate Statistics.

Seriously.
The writ of the founders must endure.

trust

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2006, 09:28:42 pm »
IB should be harder than standard AP, IB is mandated by the IBO which is an international organization versus a US company. The 4.6 GPA requirement seems a rather harsh though, I'm guessing you go to an all IB/Honors/Magnet/Whatever school? The IB program at my school generally has a valedictorian with a GPA of about 4.4 or so I think.

I have an A in AP Statistics. Yay for longterm sub who just gives us notes, lets us have group/open notes tests, lets us leave class early and go home, and doesn't care if we decide not to come. (Of course, I'll probably get a 1 or 2 on the AP exam...but still...I hadn't planned on going into economics or anything that would require Stats anyway.) :)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2006, 03:25:41 am »
last year our valedictorian had a 4.7 or 4.8.... I can't remember. Wait... we had 3 last year... it was gay.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2006, 03:31:10 am »
last year our valedictorian had a 4.7 or 4.8.... I can't remember. Wait... we had 3 last year... it was gay.

Honestly, I think the largest constituent of GPA by an overwhelming amount is determination.  While this is obviously a great trait in a person, I honestly don't think someone's GPA is an accurate reflection of their intelligence.  Our valedictorian this year is pretty smart, but I don't think she's nearly as smart as a few other people in my class. *cough*

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2006, 12:33:59 pm »

Honestly, I think the largest constituent of GPA by an overwhelming amount is determination.  While this is obviously a great trait in a person, I honestly don't think someone's GPA is an accurate reflection of their intelligence.  Our valedictorian this year is pretty smart, but I don't think she's nearly as smart as a few other people in my class. *cough*

Sidoh's Cheer Squad:

Go Sidoh!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2006, 12:40:59 pm »
LOL!