Author Topic: Next Year's Classes  (Read 25922 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Next Year's Classes
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2006, 02:29:56 pm »

Go batman go!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2006, 04:41:29 pm »
last year our valedictorian had a 4.7 or 4.8.... I can't remember. Wait... we had 3 last year... it was gay.

Honestly, I think the largest constituent of GPA by an overwhelming amount is determination.  While this is obviously a great trait in a person, I honestly don't think someone's GPA is an accurate reflection of their intelligence.  Our valedictorian this year is pretty smart, but I don't think she's nearly as smart as a few other people in my class. *cough*

We'll probably have 5 valedictorians this year :|

Of course valedictorians aren't always the brightest, but they played the game, and that matters much, much more than someone saying how smart they are with a 2.5 GPA. 
errr... something like that...

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2006, 06:32:49 pm »
Math:
Science:
History:
Tech:
English:
Philosophy:
Pre-Cal, H (full year) and Number Theory (half year, intro type of thing, sounded like fun)
Nuclear Physics, H (half year) and Astronomy, H (half year)
Topics in US History (full year, focus on a very specific topic in US history for a few weeks and go in-depth about it)
Comp Sci, AP (full year)
English IV, H (full year)
Philosophy VI (full year)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 06:42:10 pm by RoMi »
-RoMi

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2006, 06:40:48 pm »
We'll probably have 5 valedictorians this year :|

Weird.

Of course valedictorians aren't always the brightest, but they played the game, and that matters much, much more than someone saying how smart they are with a 2.5 GPA. 

I'm wholly aware of this, but it annoys me that people automatically revere someone who has been awarded valedictorian as a genius.  Sure, they've learned the material, but that doesn't necissarily constitute the actual understanding of the material (by no means am I saying this is the case for you; we both know it's not :P).  The person who will likely be validictorian in our class is definitely smart, but she's not smart compared to about three of my classmates (Jeff, Myself and Lihao; I'm pretty sure you've met Jeff.  Maybe not, though).  Jeff is smart, but he doesn't try the least in school.  He doesn't even take hard classes.  Lihao and I take hard classes and try when it sounds interesting. :P

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »

I'm wholly aware of this, but it annoys me that people automatically revere someone who has been awarded valedictorian as a genius.  Sure, they've learned the material, but that doesn't necissarily constitute the actual understanding of the material (by no means am I saying this is the case for you; we both know it's not :P).  The person who will likely be validictorian in our class is definitely smart, but she's not smart compared to about three of my classmates (Jeff, Myself and Lihao; I'm pretty sure you've met Jeff.  Maybe not, though).  Jeff is smart, but he doesn't try the least in school.  He doesn't even take hard classes.  Lihao and I take hard classes and try when it sounds interesting. :P
I agree completely. Last year, one of our valedictorians really was an idiot.  Seriously, she got through high school with a 4.0, but when she went on to college, she got a wake-up call like no other.  She failed her calculus and chemistry classes. She never really understood the material to begin with, so I guess she deserved it.  Oh well, but seriously, has anyone ever heard of a valedictorian flunking out in college?
errr... something like that...

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2006, 05:57:05 pm »
Well, it's not like that in our school...Our valedictorian is actually the smartest person I've ever met, and he's won all sorts of awards...

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=Nimish+Ramanlal&btnG=Google+Search
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2006, 07:07:04 pm »
Well, it's not like that in our school...Our valedictorian is actually the smartest person I've ever met, and he's won all sorts of awards...

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=Nimish+Ramanlal&btnG=Google+Search

One of the sites turned up must have been state qualifiers or something.  My project was sitting right next to this team at International Fair '05:

I didn't like their project.  It didn't seem like much work, asside from the astounding display they had.

This must be an old picture, because their display board didn't look like that.  I think I remember their project being a three year continuation.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 07:09:20 pm by Sidoh »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2006, 06:40:19 pm »
Well, I got my classes for next year.  So here they go:

- COMP ENG 111
- COMP SCI 1
- COMP SCI 53
- COMP SCI 54
- HISTORY 176
- MATH 4
- MATH 6

Only 16 hours, so that shouldn't be too much for me.  All of the COMP classes are introductions and the History class is American History since 1877.  The two Math classes are going to be reviews for me because they are 1/3 Algebra, and 2/3 trig.  The only reason I have to take these instead of Calc. is because I did horrible on the trig section of the Math Placement test.  I don't really mind much because I took trig a year and a half ago and forgot it all, but atleast I did amazing on the Algebra part of the test. That made me feel a little better.

And since I am going to be a freshmen UMR (University of Missouri-Rolla) makes all freshman come a week early and take some little class thing and I am taking Powers of Communication.  And since it's group work and doesn't count as any hours I didn't add it to the list of classes that I have to take.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2006, 08:51:45 pm »
Courses eh?

College ones, I hope.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2006, 10:09:40 pm »
My electives are

Semester 1:
AP Computer Programming 3
Something I forgot? =/

Semester 2:
AP Computer Programming 4
Maintaining PC's

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2006, 12:11:36 pm »
Courses eh?

College ones, I hope.
Yeah, all college. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2006, 04:21:08 pm »
To bump my post, you can kind of see their project next to mine (not much of it at all, but meh):

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2006, 05:53:01 pm »
Math 210:  Gen ed course.  Basically Math appreciation
French 211: Part 1 of French2, if that makes sense
Government 100: Required:(  Can't remember what it actually covers
English 211: Business writing, I believe
Music 101: Classical appreciation, should be a SUPER breeze class since I've been playing in band for 8? years and have take/passed AP Music theory (didn't take the exam though)
Music 172: Marching Band ;)

wow, that is it, how sad...that's 17 credits too ;)...17 EASY credits.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2006, 01:39:05 pm »
That's you in that picture, Sidoh?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2006, 02:56:30 pm »
That's you in that picture, Sidoh?

No, it's my identical-in-appearance cousin who just so happened to be sitting by my Science Fair project.