Author Topic: CRT or LCD?  (Read 11506 times)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
CRT or LCD?
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:35:22 am »
I was wondering what you all like? Its hard for me since LCD gives off a better picture "SOMETIMES" But CRT I think have better qualtiy and you can touch the screen :)
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: CRT or LCD?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:43:20 am »
LCD's are far superior, in my opinion.  If you can afford it. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 01:24:59 pm »
If you don't need a skinny screen, go CRT. Every decent CRT monitor I've seen has better picture quality than the decent LCD monitors I've seen.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 01:29:39 pm »
PLASMA SCREEN FTW!!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 05:13:47 pm »
CRT's are generally equated to a LCD monitor with a 600:1 Contrast Ratio.  I have a 22" IBM CRT and a 19" Samsung LCD and the Samsung looks better (750:1 Contrast Ratio, 12ms response time).  It has a lot to do with the manufacturer though.  In my experience, Samsung, Sony, Dell, and NEC have had the best LCD monitors (in that order).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:20:21 pm »
If you don't need a skinny screen, go CRT. Every decent CRT monitor I've seen has better picture quality than the decent LCD monitors I've seen.

You certainly haven't been around very many good LCD's, then.  I haven't ever seen a CRT monitor that matches my LCD monitors' picture.  I agree with iago; if you can afford them, get them.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:15:39 pm »
I've seen some really pimp LCD screens.  But if you have the money and need the space, go LCD.  Space is an important factor.  I have a 21" CRT.  But my desk fits perfectly into the corner of my bedroom, and the CRT fits into the corner part of the desk perfectly.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:31:20 pm »

You certainly haven't been around very many good LCD's, then.  I haven't ever seen a CRT monitor that matches my LCD monitors' picture.  I agree with iago; if you can afford them, get them.

CRT's are known to have better contrast and quality, but it begins to fade after a while. I know a lot of people who do art and graphics design for a career, and they've always gone with CRT's.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:40:10 pm »
CRT's are known to have better contrast and quality, but it begins to fade after a while. I know a lot of people who do art and graphics design for a career, and they've always gone with CRT's.

Within how many years?  Have you seen a new 19"+ LCD (new within the last two years).

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 06:44:56 pm »
The only reason why someone should buy a CRT is if price is an issue.  If you have the money, you should have no reason not to buy an LCD.  Yes, it is as simple as that.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 08:14:30 pm »

Ehh, maybe I'm just used to my really good CRT. I had a friend that owned a print shop that went out of business, and got a nice 21", $2100 monitor for $100.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 08:29:11 pm »
The only reason why someone should buy a CRT is if price is an issue.  If you have the money, you should have no reason not to buy an LCD.  Yes, it is as simple as that.

Completely agreed.  CRT's are big, luggy and their picture is starting to pale in quality compared to LCD's.

Ehh, maybe I'm just used to my really good CRT. I had a friend that owned a print shop that went out of business, and got a nice 21", $2100 monitor for $100.

And I'm used to my really good LCD monitors.  I do dual monitors, I couldn't dream of doing that with CRT's with my desk space.  Plus, I truely have never seen a CRT with picture to match mine.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 10:21:48 pm »
I like CRT because it's familiar.  I have a very large desk so duel-weilding these babies isn't hard.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 10:28:30 pm »
I do dual monitors, I couldn't dream of doing that with CRT's with my desk space.

You have the smallest desk I've seen in many years, outside of a classroom. =p

EDIT -
As for my two cents, I use three or four computers daily. Two of them are LCD's (in school), and I *really* like them. My computer is a CRT, as is my brothers (the fourth). I dislike them. But it's not a big deal because I have a hugeass office desk (clicky) which currently has two CRTs, a stack of books/DVDs, some dishes, and a 12-pack of rootbeer on it, with room to spare. If I was offered a free LCD or a free CRT (the dude popped up at my front door out of nowhere, k?) I'd go with the LCD without even requiring though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:31:40 pm by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 10:29:40 pm »
I'd much rather have LCD's, regardless of deskspace.  That's an added bonus, but the quality/clarity/size is much, much better on a LCD monitor.