Author Topic: CRT or LCD?  (Read 11505 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: CRT or LCD?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 09:46:05 am »
I know I could get a larger monitor, but I would actually end up playing more money than I'm paying for the monitor I currently have, and my current one would be a HELL of a lot sharper than it. The $2100 is definately not just for Quanity, but Quality. Trust me, your monitor doesn't kick mine's ass. 1600x1200 at 21" is hard enough o the eyes already, but 1920x1440? That's just rediculous. I also find it quite funny that Joe noticed I didn't pay that much money for mine, but you and Sidoh didn't.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 11:47:40 am »
I also find it quite funny that Joe noticed I didn't pay that much money for mine, but you and Sidoh didn't.

That's because I have better things to do than to read an entire thread about monitors, and Joe doesn't.  ;)
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 01:04:44 pm »
I like LCD. :D
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 09:10:25 pm »
I know I could get a larger monitor, but I would actually end up playing more money than I'm paying for the monitor I currently have, and my current one would be a HELL of a lot sharper than it. The $2100 is definately not just for Quanity, but Quality. Trust me, your monitor doesn't kick mine's ass. 1600x1200 at 21" is hard enough o the eyes already, but 1920x1440? That's just rediculous. I also find it quite funny that Joe noticed I didn't pay that much money for mine, but you and Sidoh didn't.

It's your mistake, not ours.  You typed it wrong.  Perhaps it was another monitor.  As MyndFyre has already said, I don't take it upon myself to memorize the contents of every damn thread on these forums.

Give me your monitor's M/N and manufacturer.  I'd like to see a fucking monitor that's worth $2,100, regardless of what you paid for it.  Unless it's a damn widescreen 60" TV, I'd never pay that much for a display device.  That's outrageous.

I've worked on a lot of CRT monitors (some of which have been 21", made by various companies: Sun, Dell, Gateway and ViewSonic).  None of them defeat the overall greatness of a quality LCD monitor.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 09:12:03 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 09:24:17 pm »
2048x1536 works fine for me, it's just that only one of the monitors I have can do it, so it's annoying.  DPI == 120  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 09:35:34 pm »
Another thing to take into consideration is that CRT's are heavily influenced by the presence of an electromagnetical field.  Speakers, cell/cordless phones(speakers :P) and many other ordinary devices can have this property.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 12:38:22 am »
I have only CRTs at my house, just your old, shotty CRTs. Like, a 16" and a 18" or some shit.

I like that you can put sharpie on them to pwn no scope in CS and you can clean it off easy with isopropyl. But if I was offered either for free, I'd go with the LCD.  Something about "Liquid" and "Crystal" get me so  horny.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 12:59:36 am »

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 01:03:21 am »
Another thing to take into consideration is that CRT's are heavily influenced by the presence of an electromagnetical field.  Speakers, cell/cordless phones(speakers :P) and many other ordinary devices can have this property.

The newer devices (monitors, speakers, etc. made within the last ~3 years) have built-in shielding to protect against the majority of that.  I placed two unshielded speakers next to an unshielded CRT television when I was about 13.  It definately had an interesting affect on the television.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 01:04:28 am »
http://www.windowsmagazine.com/library/1999/0201/rev0032.htm
The prices went down a bit.

The price has gone down 25%.  That's more than "a bit."

Additionally, that's still an outrageous price for a display.  If you pay that much money for an LCD monitor, I'm positive you could get one that beats its performance.

The newer devices (monitors, speakers, etc. made within the last ~3 years) have built-in shielding to protect against the majority of that.  I placed two unshielded speakers next to an unshielded CRT television when I was about 13.  It definately had an interesting affect on the television.

I'm aware of this, but it's still a potential weakness. ;)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 01:06:42 am »
Wow, I never knew my monitor could go to such high resolutions when in a custom mode. I got it up to 2048x1536 at 60 Hertz. Damn factory defaults.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 01:14:27 am »
Wow, I never knew my monitor could go to such high resolutions when in a custom mode. I got it up to 2048x1536 at 60 Hertz. Damn factory defaults.

Cool?  That's great and all, but I've worked on 1600x1200 before.  It's too small (even on large monitors).  1280x1024 is optimal for me.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 01:20:34 am »
Get a monitor with a 21" screen and you'll see that 1600x1200 is the 1280x1024 on 21".  On a side note, I got my monitor up to 2304x1728. The overhead is to guarentee clearness and sharpness at a suitable resolution. I'm almost positive that this is as good as a monitor gets for image quality. Now size of the monitor, that's another story.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:22:53 am by MetaL MilitiA »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 01:45:48 am »
Get a monitor with a 21" screen and you'll see that 1600x1200 is the 1280x1024 on 21".  On a side note, I got my monitor up to 2304x1728. The overhead is to guarentee clearness and sharpness at a suitable resolution. I'm almost positive that this is as good as a monitor gets for image quality. Now size of the monitor, that's another story.

Did you read your own article?

Diagonal viewing area   19.7"

CRT's ALWAYS have a large discrepancy from their list display and their actual viewable display.

Additionally, I'm almost positive a 21" CRT isn't as good as it gets for image quality.  For one, it isn't high definition (unless, of course, it is and I'm wrong :P).  In addition, you can get a picture as clear as you want, but the clarity isn't going to go to use if you don't have enough space to display it on.  You can take a massive resolution JPEG and shrink it down to 100x100.  Is it still that awesome resolution you once had?  No.  You lost quality because there isn't enough room on the canvas to display it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:49:24 am by Sidoh »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 10:31:28 pm »

Did you read your own article?

Diagonal viewing area   19.7"

CRT's ALWAYS have a large discrepancy from their list display and their actual viewable display.

Additionally, I'm almost positive a 21" CRT isn't as good as it gets for image quality.  For one, it isn't high definition (unless, of course, it is and I'm wrong :P).  In addition, you can get a picture as clear as you want, but the clarity isn't going to go to use if you don't have enough space to display it on.  You can take a massive resolution JPEG and shrink it down to 100x100.  Is it still that awesome resolution you once had?  No.  You lost quality because there isn't enough room on the canvas to display it.
Sorry, didn't know you'd get so techincal. Just act as if I didn't say "screen" after 21". Also, your analogy isn't really that good of an analogy. You're basically saying that if something is bigger (CRT monitors), they'll be better, but if you have an LCD, the image is crappy, but you can fit them in smaller places?

And what do you mean by a high definition monitor? TVs are the only things that are high definition (as I know of), and my monitor still goes to a higher resolution than even 1080p for HDTVs. My 1080i HDTV downstairs can only reach 1100x700 (somewhere around there).