Author Topic: About to dive into this fun world of Linux!  (Read 38549 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
About to dive into this fun world of Linux!
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »
I think I'm going to go with Fedora Core 5.
I've talked with MyndFyre a tad bi about it, but he is off at work and I'm lookin for some info, if y'all could help I'd appreciate it.

As I understand it I need to create a partition on my hard drive (I have 30gb of free space right now on my 80gb drive, on my laptop).
I assume I want to download the x86 64 isos since I have an AMD 64bit processor? (just trying to be very sure of everything I'm doing as I have never even used a Linux OS)

What size would you suggest for the partition?  After partitioning (with Partition Magic, as MyndFyre has suggested & I downloaded) just download the 5 discs and then boot from disc1?  I assume it ought to be rather self explanitory after that, but I just want to make sure.

Any info/suggestions/help you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated,
     Thanks!

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: About to dive into this fun world of Linux!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:27:56 pm »
You are actually required to have 2 partitions: Linux and Linux Swap.

The swap is generally small (mine is 2gb or 30), with the rest being for Linux itself.  A few people (like iago) make other partitions for different folders and the such.

If the 30gb free is already allocated, you'll have to shrink it with PM, otherwise I suggest cfdisk.

Lastlyness, I'm not sure how FC works, but odds are you just start with disc 1.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:09 pm »
That 30gb I mentioned is just apart of my main drive C:.
Would I still use PM?

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:01:10 pm »
You don't have to use PM if you use cfdisk... but I'd go with a 1 or 2 gig swap... (That twice your RAM rule or w/e)
Also you aren't really required to have a swap partition, but it's better that way. When I was on RH9 I used a swap file similar to what Windows uses.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:58:12 pm »
I'd go with 10gb devoted to Linux for right now.  Meaning:

1.) Resize (using ParititonMagic) your Windows drive to whatever it's at minus 10240MB.  You can do this by right-clicking on the partition in PartitionMagic, selecting Resize/Move, and in the "Space After" box, specifying 10240.00mb.  (Megabytes should be the default unit in the dialog).
2.) Create a new FAT32 partition using PartitionMagic (this partition will be accessible to both installations for read-write mode).  Make it a moderate size, but not very big; 256mb or even 512mb should be plenty of room.  Make backup floppies the way PartitionMagic lets you.
3.) Tell PartitionMagic to apply these changes.  You will have to reboot, and ParititonMagic will do its work before Windows boots (the same place it would run chkdsk on startup).  This will take quite a while, because if there's any data on the end of your disk (there is), it needs to be moved closer to the front of the disk to make room for the new space.  I suggest leaving this to happen overnight, or doing something constructive in the meantime, like playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (which is for Windows or Xbox 360, as it turns out -- not Linux :P). 
4.) Once you've done this, verify that the changes have been performed, then reboot with the Fedora Core CD 1 in the drive (I was pissed that it wasn't a DVD image).  Anaconda, the FC5 installer program, will load and walk you through the installation.  There are a lot of features if you do a custom install -- it's pretty thorough.  I suggest you stick with GNOME as your window manager and go from there.

I just got it installed on my laptop, a painfully slow 2 hour process (of course I added a lot of packages, like NmapFE (yes I know iago, using a GUI for Nmap is like blasphemy) and the spread of the CD usage was not consistent), but all told it did well.  Despite the claim to support Broadcom WiFi cards, unfortunately it does not have drivers for mine, so I need to hunt down instructions for compiling NDISWrapper for FC5.  However, it did detect my sound card this time, as opposed to last time, when it just crashed my notebook.  :)

It looks good, runs faster than before.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:09:30 pm »
You have a Broadcom chip too?! GL with that. If you get it to run help me :)
What's the FAT32 partition for?
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 10:37:35 pm »
You don't have to use PM if you use cfdisk... but I'd go with a 1 or 2 gig swap... (That twice your RAM rule or w/e)
Also you aren't really required to have a swap partition, but it's better that way. When I was on RH9 I used a swap file similar to what Windows uses.
cfdisk can't shrink allocated space, IIRC.

The FAT32 is so that you can share stuff.  NTFS is hard for non-Windows OS's to support because Microsoft is a tightass with their specs, and Windows refuses to read Linux partitions.  Both, however, read FAT32.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:49:39 pm »
cfdisk can't shrink allocated space, IIRC.

The FAT32 is so that you can share stuff.  NTFS is hard for non-Windows OS's to support because Microsoft is a tightass with their specs, and Windows refuses to read Linux partitions.  Both, however, read FAT32.
I see... I don't use NTFS so I never had that problem :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:17:25 pm »
1) When I change "Free Space After" it sets the number to 1027.6, MUST I have it at 10240.00, or is the 10244.6(or slightly lower) acceptable?

2) I have no floppy drive on my laptop

I downloaded the lovely library of CDs, do I want to download the DVD instead?

I guess I'll try the whole reboot thing when Im done backing up my few VERY important items onto my flash drive

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 11:40:13 pm »
1) When I change "Free Space After" it sets the number to 1027.6, MUST I have it at 10240.00, or is the 10244.6(or slightly lower) acceptable?

LoL, 10244.6 is acceptable.  ;)

2) I have no floppy drive on my laptop
I would do something to emulate it so that you can burn the floppy image to a CD or something!  You don't want your partitition table gone forever!  (That's a very small risk, but it's one that is easily avoided also).  USB floppy drives are like $10.

I downloaded the lovely library of CDs, do I want to download the DVD instead?
I didn't see a DVD download, DVDs go faster, but if you don't have a DVD burner that's a moot point.

I guess I'll try the whole reboot thing when Im done backing up my few VERY important items onto my flash drive
GL HF

You have a Broadcom chip too?! GL with that. If you get it to run help me :)
What's the FAT32 partition for?
I have had the Broadcom chip running on Linux before using NDISWrapper and the drivers that came with my laptop.

As rabbit said, NTFS isn't writeable in Linux, and Windows doesn't read ext2/3 without a special program, so the FAT32 space is to be shared between Windows and Linux in a dual-boot environment.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 12:01:39 am »
1) kool
2) crap, i DO have a USB floppy, my dad just bought it like this past weekend, I hope I have a floppy
3) no dvd burner, oh yeah  ::)
4) re: GL HF....& may God be with me

just finished burning the 6 CDs, took about 1.5 hrs to download, VERY quick, I liked it.

re: new Partition....
Size 10244.6
Label???
Create As??? (logical is deafult)
File sys type FAT32
DriverLetter E

label & create as
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:05:16 am by CrAz3D »

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 12:30:35 am »
1) kool
2) crap, i DO have a USB floppy, my dad just bought it like this past weekend, I hope I have a floppy
3) no dvd burner, oh yeah  ::)
4) re: GL HF....& may God be with me

just finished burning the 6 CDs, took about 1.5 hrs to download, VERY quick, I liked it.

re: new Partition....
Size 10244.6
Label???
Create As??? (logical is deafult)
File sys type FAT32
DriverLetter E

label & create as
Nono, size = 256 or 512, Create as Primary.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 12:46:18 am »
Well, this is fun, I just realized I had a DEMO VERSION of Partition Magic, aw:(
...no Linux for CrAz3D

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 02:16:27 am »
I might have a (backup... yes... backup ;)) copy that I can let your store....  CD or Floppy version?  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 02:17:19 am »
I might have a (backup... yes... backup ;)) copy that I can let your store....  CD or Floppy version?  :)

Uh, it's been... resolved.  ;)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 10:45:39 am »

Uh, it's been... resolved.  ;)
heh, ....<serious>yes</serious>

I rebooted last night, took about 30 minutes I think.  It turned on and had to reboot again...?, that went good too.  I now have my main drive C: @ 64.5gb of the 80gb & a drive E: @ 254mb in FAT32.

I'll install FC5 this evening when I get home from work...I hope this works...eeks.

How hard/possible is it to undo all of this, or possibly just delete FC5 & load Slackware (which I downloaded a while ago)?

EDIT:
Also, what packages might I want to add?  I'm thinking OpenOffice and similar basic "tools"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:39:13 am by CrAz3D »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 12:25:02 pm »
If you have room, add everything.  In a month or two, when you are more confident, re-install and only install what you want.  That's the way I started with Slackware. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 01:27:17 pm »
I rebooted last night, took about 30 minutes I think.  It turned on and had to reboot again...?, that went good too.  I now have my main drive C: @ 64.5gb of the 80gb & a drive E: @ 254mb in FAT32.
Just so you know, your drive isn't *really* 80gb.  For some reason, the industry has allowed hard drive manufacturers to call a megabyte 106 and a gigabyte 109 instead of the original, correct value now expressed by GiB, which is 230.  Windows measures drive sizes correctly according to GiB and MiB (220), so an 80gb hard drive, 80,000,000,000, is really 74.51GiB, which is why you have such a discrepancy between your expected drive size and the size of your drive C:.

Also, like we talked about last night, Linux won't think of your hard drives as C: and E:.  It will load them into /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2.  Anaconda will probably automatically add the FAT32 drive to your fstab table, so it should be automatically mounted when you start up.

I'll install FC5 this evening when I get home from work...I hope this works...eeks.

How hard/possible is it to undo all of this, or possibly just delete FC5 & load Slackware (which I downloaded a while ago)?
It's fairly painless; pretty much it only involves deleting the Linux partitions with the Disk Management MMC snap-in (or PartitionMagic) and then resizing your c: partition to its original size and marking it active, all of which can be done without a reboot.

EDIT:
Also, what packages might I want to add?  I'm thinking OpenOffice and similar basic "tools"
OpenOffice will likely be installed by default.  I'm not sure that you'll want to install *everything*, despite iago's suggestion; FC5 can take up to 9gb to install, which doesn't leave you with a terrible lot of room.  There are a lot of server toys that you won't need, that are just entirely impractical (for instance, you don't need both MySQL and PostgreSQL unless you're really THAT HARD CORE).  You also don't necessarily need the development tools unless you're planning on programming, in which case I definitely recommend installing Eclipse.  ;)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 05:08:50 pm »
Good stuff.

As as usuful tools, I'm thinkin of like image editting, music player, office-like things (like you said is already installed), firefox, thunderbird.  Does this stuff already come on the FC5 discs or do I have to find all of it seperate?

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 05:13:05 pm »
The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and several of the other items already are on the CDs (although you may prefer XMMS to the music stuff FC5 comes with).  And you need to do a custom install to get Thunderbird -- it wasn't on be default when I ran the install.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 05:17:32 pm »
cool, I'll run a fun custom install tonight (& probably end up bugging you a bit, too, if ya dont mind)

I hope this is fun

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 05:24:11 pm »
It has been suggested that I try a "Live" boot of Linux before going through the entire install for this.
Would y'all suggest that too?  KNOPPIX was suggested

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 05:25:30 pm »
The only thing I've used is Slack, so that's what I'll recommend.  I've also never used a live boot other than the Slack installer, but I've never tried live X either, so I dunno.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 05:46:15 pm »
It has been suggested that I try a "Live" boot of Linux before going through the entire install for this.

If you want to peek around, Knoppix is nice.  It lets you see Linux without committing to anything.  However, if you actually want to use Linux to any extent, use an installed distro. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 05:49:05 pm »

If you want to peek around, Knoppix is nice.  It lets you see Linux without committing to anything.  However, if you actually want to use Linux to any extent, use an installed distro. 

mk....well, I've already invest 6 cds & 2 floppies into this ;), looks like there is no turning back  ::)

Tonight shall be the night!

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »
Since you already repartitioned, there's not much point to using a Live boot CD.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 06:52:58 pm »
Since you already repartitioned, there's not much point to using a Live boot CD.
k dude

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 07:29:37 pm »
I'm about to begin, any last suggestions?

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 07:36:28 pm »
If you're looking for something that has no shit on it, I suggest ArchLinux.  It has 2 different installs, a base (comes with a basic linux installation, where you install everything else) and a full (like Slackware where it has all the stuff you won't use). 

I chose the base iso and installed X, OpenBox3, etc with pacman (a bit like Debian's/Ubuntu's apt-get and Slackware's package manager, which I forget the name of).  It takes a bit to get it working, but if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 07:41:31 pm »
welp, i'm off then....maybe the penguin be with me

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 07:42:27 pm »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 08:58:39 pm »
aw....media test fails at 99percent.....
says "the image which was just tested has errors. this could be due to a corrupt download or a bad disc. if applicable.please clean disc and try again. if this test continues to fail you should not continue the instal"

did anyone else have this?

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 09:06:44 pm »
I just skipped the media test :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 09:11:27 pm »
I chose the base iso and installed X, OpenBox3, etc with pacman (a bit like Debian's/Ubuntu's apt-get and Slackware's package manager, which I forget the name of).  It takes a bit to get it working, but if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. :P
pkg-utils (installpkg, upgradepkg, etc..)

Yeah, just skip the media test.  It won't hurt.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 09:13:33 pm »
I just skipped the media test :P
since all of my discs are doing this....i guess ill do that too

i hope i dont need a new computer by the time this is over

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 09:18:20 pm »
use free spacre on selected drives and create default layout?...

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 10:34:55 pm »
Goddamn you are such a pansy.  Just do it!  Anaconda will warn if you're going to do something destructive.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 10:37:34 pm »
Goddamn you are such a pansy.  Just do it!  Anaconda will warn if you're going to do something destructive.
I know, but I prefer to be sure of what I'm doing since my laptop is quite important....
I'm well into it now...selected what fun looking packages I wanted & am letting it "Check dependencies in packes selected for installation" ;)

I'm off and running

Thanks dude

EDIT:
4 minutes left,pwn

discs 4 & 5 seem pointless...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:27:15 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 11:30:38 pm »
ooooooooooh...its loading.

Myndfyre, where/when was i supposed to do the /dev/hda1 Windows name thing?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 11:48:03 pm »
Wow am I glad to be back on Windows on my laptop vs. my PPC.

I can't get online on Fedora.  What do I need to configure for it to pick up wireless networks?
I openned KWiFiManager....got scanning not possible.  'Please make sure the executable "iwlist" is in your $PATH'
? what might i change for this to work?

Also, how would I change my Windows drive to the main boot drive?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:56:27 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 12:10:54 am »
Wireless? Ewwwwww.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 12:20:22 am »
Wireless? Ewwwwww.
...laptop  ::)

Je n'ai pas desktop

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 12:31:08 am »
Whenever I've figured out how to compile NDISWrapper on Fedora, I'll help you out.  ;)  It'll be a fw days though.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 05:10:58 pm »
hum, this is cool?
I'm on Fedora right now (ehternet, boo)...I've run into a few issues.

1) The fonts/text looks blurryish...:(  changed resolution down to like 800x600...stuff is bigger but not clearer:(
2) How do I change the main boot (it is currently Fedora)
     When I select the boot drive manually it has options for changing commands(?).  When I edit Fedora's commands it says "root (hd0,2)",      Other's commands says "rootnoverify (hd0,2)"....might that have something to do with boot order?
3) I receive some errors when Fedora is loading "PCI: Failled to allocate mem resource                2.04.0" & the same error that ends in "2.04.1" instead
4) How do I access that 256mb drive I created, MyndFyre? ;)  I can't find it with the FileBrowser, unless it is in the "root" folder (which I don't have access to)

Any clues?

THANKS!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 05:19:45 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 06:52:15 pm »
1.) I don't know.
2.) There should be a system-config-boot program.  If so, go to Applications->Accessories (or whatever the first menu is)->Terminal.  Type:
su
(it prompts you for root password, enter it)
sytem-config-boot

That should bring up the GUI tool for editing your boot order.
3.) I get that too.  I dunno.
4.) Login as superuser using the technique I told you above, but instead of starting the boot config program:
cd /
md fat
mount /dev/hda2 /fat

Then, when you start up you ust log in as superuser and perform the mount command.  It will be under the Computer icon on your desktop, Filesystem, /fat.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 06:57:19 pm »
1. Not sure!  Sorry.
2. See #1.
3. Open a terminal and run '#lspci -s -vv 2.04' (might be 2:04)
4. The 256 drive will be /dev/hdx, where x is some letter.  It starts at a, and the progresses.  Just poke around.  If you get something like 'mount: /dev/hdx is not a valid block device', then that drive doesn't exist, and you should go back to the last one.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »
when doing md fat.......i get "bash,md: command not found"

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 07:36:19 pm »
It's mkdir, not md :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 07:40:09 pm »

Maybe it's md in FC4? :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2006, 07:43:29 pm »
cool!

mkdir /fat
mount /dev/hda2 /fat worked!!!

now, since system-config-boot does nothing....

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 07:55:05 pm »

Maybe it's md in FC4? :P

Nah, it's md in DOS.  I just figured that since the *nixers finally got around to making a dir command act as a synonym to ls, md and rd might be synonyms for mkdir and rmdir.  Guess I was wrong.

Since system-config-boot does nothing, install it!  Add or Remove Programs on the Applications button, and it will be under a category like system configuration or whatnot.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »
Nah, it's md in DOS.  I just figured that since the *nixers finally got around to making a dir command act as a synonym to ls, md and rd might be synonyms for mkdir and rmdir.  Guess I was wrong.

And to think ... I gave you the benefit of the doubt! :(

Hehe, just kidding ...

I thought md was an alias for mkdir, but it's not (in Slackware, at least):

MD(4)                                                       MD(4)

NAME
       md - Multiple Device driver aka Linux Software Raid

SYNOPSIS
       /dev/mdn
       /dev/md/n

DESCRIPTION
       The  md  driver  provides virtual devices that are created
       from one or more  independent  underlying  devices.   This
       array  of devices often contains redundancy, and hence the
       acronym RAID which stands for a Redundant Array  of  Inde­
       pendent Devices.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2006, 09:30:51 pm »
when clicking add/remove programs it says "unable to retrieve software info"...then it closes :(
edit:
crap, maybe its cuz im not online...

edit:it works now....yay ethernet cable

new: how do i make it so whenever i get on FC that i'm allowed access to /fat?
i have to remount it each time?
.....and why is my homepage mcdonalds!?

edit:(again)
w00t!
sidoh hooked me up wit da knowledge!
vim /etc/fstab
/dev/hda2    /fat    vfat    defaults    0 0

I hope it all works.
...now I just need wifi
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:49:32 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2006, 11:05:07 pm »

sudo ln -s /bin/mkdir /bin/md

rd is harder, because of it's really odd behavior.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2006, 11:39:57 pm »
Ok, who wants to help me compile/install/whatever ndiswrapper? ;)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2006, 11:46:30 pm »
http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,4523.0.html

That thread has pretty much everything you should need.  Installing is easy.  You download the package, extract it (tar xzf <package>), cd <package>, ./configure, make, sudo make install and you're set.  I don't know what kind of configuring you need to do for this, but take a look at the shell script that iago linked somewhere in there.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 01:02:27 am »
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Ndiswrapper_in_Fedora_Core_5

I think this oughta help me real nice, except I can't get the 2.16 kernel to actually install.  2.16 kernel-devel installs, but not kernel.  oye, suggesttions?

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 07:11:03 am »
Kernels:
make makeconfig
make modules_install install

I love Human Readable, they have a guide specifically for updating.  Alas, you don't use Slackware, otherwise it'd be perfect, but it's a good start.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 10:31:20 am »
I'm looking into "yum update kernel"...this seems to be updating me to kernel-2.6.16-1.2096
yum seems interesting

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2006, 10:32:39 am »
Can't you grab some rpm's or something? But yea... there's several tools that are quite useful... there's another one like yum... I forget though :(. I personally do not suggest you try to compile a kernel at this point. Stick with package here until you get to know the system better.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 10:34:53 am by Ergot »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:43 am »
I did that too.

Just when doing something with ndiswrapper it can't find build files for that kernel :(

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2006, 11:34:03 am »
Can't you grab some rpm's or something? But yea... there's several tools that are quite useful... there's another one like yum... I forget though :(. I personally do not suggest you try to compile a kernel at this point. Stick with package here until you get to know the system better.
There aren't RPMs for NDISWrapper yet.  NDISWrapper comes with a very simple installation instruction:

make install

Then:

modprobe ndiswrapper

Unfortunately make install fails because it's expecting kernel sources.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2006, 05:32:46 pm »
[...] Installing is easy.  You download the package [...]

How is he supposed to download it? =p

That is a real pain. What came first, the chicken or the egg? What came first, the connection to get the connection support, or the connection support to make the connection?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2006, 06:17:45 pm »
still lookin for Ndiswrapper solutions :(

Also, how do I chmod my /fat drive so I can read/write?
I've tried chmod 777 /fat (like I sorta used to do with FTP stuff), but that aint working right

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2006, 06:40:55 pm »
I meant download the kernel packages... :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2006, 06:43:42 pm »

I've tried chmod 777 /fat (like I sorta used to do with FTP stuff), but that aint working right

Look in the /etc/fstab file I introduced to you yesterday.  You'll need to change "defaults" (if that's what you have it as; I noticed you said "default" once, but I dismissed it as a typo at the time) to something that allows write privileges.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2006, 06:47:04 pm »
I've already downloaded the kernel & kernel-devel RPMs, I still do not have "build" files for the kernels.

I've found an RPM for ndiswrapper1.7-2.fhfc5.at.x86_64
Error: Missing Dependency: ndiswrapper-kmdl-1.7.2.rhfc5.at is needed by package ndiswrapper

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2006, 08:21:18 pm »

You need to update your mount command to something like mount -rw /dev/hda2 /fat.  Check mount's man page (man mount) for more info.

<rant>Of course, there's a chance that the man page will have just-as-obscure switch documentation like "-rw makes the device's attributes rw."  :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2006, 08:40:39 pm »
k, i'll check on that when i'm done reinstalling.... ::)

I loaded so many random RPMs trying to get the ndiswrapper rpm i found to work it was nuts.  I loaded .5gb of 'stuff' today, oye.
Just thought I'd try again ;)
Maybe it'll work better this time? .. prob not,but its cleaner now. 

I'll probably just wait for you to complete it all & write up a fun little thing I can read ;)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2006, 09:04:43 pm »
You need to update your mount command to something like mount -rw /dev/hda2 /fat.  Check mount's man page (man mount) for more info.

<rant>Of course, there's a chance that the man page will have just-as-obscure switch documentation like "-rw makes the device's attributes rw."  :P

It's mounted using an entry in /etc/fstab, not a command run in the startup scripts.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2006, 10:03:46 pm »
k, i'll check on that when i'm done reinstalling.... ::)

I loaded so many random RPMs trying to get the ndiswrapper rpm i found to work it was nuts.  I loaded .5gb of 'stuff' today, oye.
Just thought I'd try again ;)
Maybe it'll work better this time? .. prob not,but its cleaner now. 

I'll probably just wait for you to complete it all & write up a fun little thing I can read ;)
* Ergot remembers the days of using RH9...
Ahh those were horrible times :P.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2006, 01:12:04 am »
un-w00t, I found open modes

I want to use rw instead of defaults...or w/e I had
Although, defaults include: rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async :(

When I try to delete something from /fat it still says I can't do it because I don't have access to modify parent directory ("/")...how do I get access to do that?!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:15:42 am by CrAz3D »

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2006, 01:23:22 am »
In /etc/fstab:
Code: [Select]
/dev/hda2        /fat           vfat        uid=yourusername,umask=0077         1   0
I think that's what iago told me to do or what it someone else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2006, 01:26:27 am »
In /etc/fstab:
Code: [Select]
/dev/hda2        /fat           vfat        uid=yourusername,umask=0077         1   0
I think that's what iago told me to do or what it someone else...
have it @

/dev/hda2     /fat     vfat     uid=CrAz3D,umask=0077     1 0

Still get "dont have permissions to modify parent folder"

edit:
BLAST IT!

I download/install kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.x86_64 (or something similar)..it works.
I extract ndiswrapper-1.15.  That works.
I cd to /home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15.  Fine & dandy
# make (that worked)
#make install (that worked)

now when I try to run a ndiswrapper command it doesnt work:( boo
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:58:00 am by CrAz3D »

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2006, 02:05:11 am »
Did you like... restart?

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2006, 03:53:14 am »
You forgot:

modprobe ndiswrapper

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2006, 09:54:04 am »
I did
make
make install
modprobe ndiswrapper
.....@ modprobe I got "modprobe command not found" (I did this just now)

should i restart before trying modprobe?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2006, 01:32:14 pm »
Perhaps it's because it needs to be installed by super user?  You should usually install things as super user, since a lot of installation routines often require such permissions.

Just do:

$ sudo make install

( Or if you don't have sudo set up ):

# make install

Then, run

# modprobe ndiswrapper

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2006, 02:20:33 pm »
I did
make
make install
modprobe ndiswrapper

No need to restart.  Try "su modprobe ndiswrapper" if modprobe isn't working.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2006, 03:15:16 pm »
Sidoh: I tried it as su to begin with :(

MyndFyre, just type "su modprobe ndiswrapper" while logged in as SU?

edit:
damn it, I'm logged in on Windows.

ANYWHOO, also, i still can't write to my /fat drive.  I can write to /fat in linux restart & its still there, but as soon as I log on Windows it is gone.  Then after I go from Windows to FC it is the same way it was before I shutdown FC:(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:54:08 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2006, 03:54:36 pm »
I did
make
make install
modprobe ndiswrapper

No need to restart.  Try "su modprobe ndiswrapper" if modprobe isn't working.
user modprobe does not exist :(

[CrAz3D@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost CrAz3D]# cd
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ndiswrapper
bash: modprobe: command not found
[root@localhost ~]# cd /home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]# ndiswrapper
bash: ndiswrapper: command not found
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]# su modprobe ndiswrapper
su: user modprobe does not exist
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]# ndiswrapper
bash: ndiswrapper: command not found
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]# make
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build SUBDIRS=/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/driver \
        DRIVER_VERSION=1.15
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-x86_64'
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-x86_64'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/driver'
make -C utils
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/utils'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/utils'
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]# modprobe ndiswrapper
bash: modprobe: command not found
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build SUBDIRS=/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/driver \
        DRIVER_VERSION=1.15
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-x86_64'
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-x86_64'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/misc
install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/misc
/sbin/depmod -a 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/driver'
make -C utils install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/utils'
install -D -m 755 loadndisdriver /sbin/loadndisdriver
install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper-buginfo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo

NOTE: Windows driver configuration file format has changed since 1.5. You must re-install Windows drivers if they were installed before.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/CrAz3D/ndiswrapper-1.15/utils'
mkdir -p -m 0755 /usr/share/man/man8
install -m 644 ndiswrapper.8 /usr/share/man/man8
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.15]#
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:56:50 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2006, 04:29:14 pm »
Sidoh: I tried it as su to begin with :(

MyndFyre, just type "su modprobe ndiswrapper" while logged in as SU?

edit:
damn it, I'm logged in on Windows.

ANYWHOO, also, i still can't write to my /fat drive.  I can write to /fat in linux restart & its still there, but as soon as I log on Windows it is gone.  Then after I go from Windows to FC it is the same way it was before I shutdown FC:(

Sorry, didn't know you were already logged in as root.  ;)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2006, 04:29:45 pm »
any clue about how to write (& keep) files on /
fat?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2006, 05:59:36 pm »
any clue about how to write (& keep) files on /
fat?

$ cat /etc/fstab

Paste the output here.

Also, $ su changes the current user.  In example, $ su root will prompt for a password.  In the event you supply the correct one, the current shell will run under root.

$ sudo <command string> runs <command string> under the super user (after supplying the current account's password, assuming that it has been given sudo access in /etc/sudoers).  $ sudo <command> is simply more convineint than $ su root :: # <command>

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2006, 06:12:25 pm »
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               /fat                    vfat    uid=CrAz3D,umask=0077 1 0

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2006, 06:19:39 pm »
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               /fat                    vfat    uid=CrAz3D,umask=0077 1 0

"defaults" doesn't work?  I've only had to do this with ext2/3 and ntfs (NTFS isn't writable with the wrapper I was using anyway), but "defaults" works with ext3.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2006, 07:11:05 pm »
well....wtf, it works now ::)

just no ndiswrapper

+thunderbird won't work.
When sending a msg I get:
"mail server(gmail) repsonded 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first"...........more stuff
What might I be doing wrong?  I have all server/spasswords set right for gmail, I do believe
Same happens on my NMSU email
I can receive msgs:(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:13:18 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2006, 07:58:08 pm »
well....wtf, it works now ::)

just no ndiswrapper

You've ndiswrapper -i inffile.inf right?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2006, 12:16:10 pm »
Stuck there.

[root@localhost 80211g]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
No drivers installed
[root@localhost 80211g]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i autorun.inf
Installing autorun
couldn't copy autorun.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 144.
[root@localhost 80211g]#

how do I copy autorun.inf?

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2006, 12:18:08 pm »
Is autorun.inf in your current directory?
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2006, 12:22:17 pm »
hmm, the 64it driver I found doesnt seem to work.  Might anyone know how/where I can find a good driver?
amd64 processor, broadcom80211g card.  pciid is 14e4320(I think I typed that right)

[root@localhost ~]# cd /home/CrAz3D/80211g
[root@localhost 80211g]# find
./BCMWL564.SYS
./Setup.exe
./bcmwl5.inf
./bcm43xx.cat
[root@localhost 80211g]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
Installing bcmwl5
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
[root@localhost 80211g]#
[root@localhost 80211g]# /sbin/depmod -a
/[root@localhost 80211g]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
Installed drivers:
bcmwl5          driver installed

It doens't say hardware present...nor can I can I find any mention of ndiswrapper drives being installed (with dmesg)

Installed drivers:
netbc564                driver installed, hardware present
[root@localhost 80211g]#
.....now why cant I find this hardware?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:32:34 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2006, 04:31:57 pm »
OMFG YAY!
IT WORK ALMSOT!

WTF DO I DO NEXT OMFG......
I'll post once I finish/calm the F down

BOO YAH!
I'm ONLINE MUTHA FUCKA!@
...now to restart & pray it works
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 04:45:28 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2006, 05:34:03 pm »
w00t, it works...

I have a 15.4" WXGA TFT screen on my HP Pavilion zv5405 (I think I do, pretty sure).
This monitor isn't list in my display hardware list, do I need to just find drivers and install them?

Do they exist for FC5.x86_64 even?...thnx

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2006, 07:39:41 pm »
Going to write up how you got there, so I don't have to?

And good luck finding monitor drivers.  Just edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (IIRC) to add your monitor specs.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2006, 08:22:15 pm »
I would like to get mine working :(. I think it works but I was never able to connect to anything :/

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2006, 02:33:12 am »
I've had excellent luck with ndiswrapper on my laptop using the microsoft wireless card.   :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2006, 02:40:36 am »
Well today I discovered the light thingy blinks... but I'm not sure how to find WAP's and connect to them :/

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2006, 11:36:10 am »
Well today I discovered the light thingy blinks... but I'm not sure how to find WAP's and connect to them :/

I wanna do that too. I wanna jack some wireless.
- Newby

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2006, 02:01:09 pm »
w00t, CrAz3D gets to may somewhat help people with something he basically knows nothing about! ;)

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation
(installation page, obvious)

My biggest problem was that I couldn't find the right driver because I have a 64bit processor.

What I needed to download/find:
-ndiswrapper
-kernel-devel for my kernel version
-driver

Once I found those few things (all the right ones) it wet pretty smoothly.

Installed kernel-devel
Extracted ndiswrapper & then did "make" & "make install"  (I had to use "/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper" as the ndiswrapper command, not sure why it worked like that)
Extracted driver.  Did /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /FILEPATHTODRIVER.INF.  Then I checked the list (ndiswrapper -l) to make sure it installed right (I sometimes got "driver installed" but no mention of "hardware present", need that there hardware present).

Also, I tried using rmmod on ndiswrapper before installing the driver & modprobe, it seemed to work after that.

Just following the sourceforge.ndiswrapper instructions should get you alot of the way there.

Here is my ndiswrapper thread @ linuxforums.org

You'll have to spend some time searching for the right drivers I suspect, that wasn't fun...I tried so many.

If you have a 64processor, ask me, I still have that one ;)

EDIT:/
WHOA, after editting my resolution and HorizSync & VertRefresh, this looks alot clearer, nice...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:59:34 pm by CrAz3D »