Author Topic: Interesting Ben Franklin quote..  (Read 9675 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Interesting Ben Franklin quote..
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 01:33:04 pm »
I've heard that quote before and I love it.  It's unfortunate that Americans are willing to give up their freedoms for what they perceive to be safety (to "get" terrorists, for example). 

2) Republicans, traditionally, are for liberty while Democrats are for bigger government.

Are you trying to imply that Democrats are against liberty?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 02:41:40 pm »
I've heard that quote before and I love it.  It's unfortunate that Americans are willing to give up their freedoms for what they perceive to be safety (to "get" terrorists, for example). 

2) Republicans, traditionally, are for liberty while Democrats are for bigger government.

Are you trying to imply that Democrats are against liberty?

Generally, bigger government == less liberty.  That's what we're seeing as the government grows with DHS.  Republicans now are not being against bigger government, which is pissing off a lot of the voting base.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »
First of all, USA PATRIOT Act is an acronym: USA PATRIOT Act (Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001)

Second, fore fathers*

Third, Newby, I can say the same about you as you say about GS.  Drinking has fucked with your brain.  I will respect nothing you say in this thread until you apologize to GS.

Fourth, GS, no more pot.

Fifth, Newby, no more liquor.

Sixth, Ben Franklin was republican.

Seventh, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion about the president.  If you don't respect people's rights to have an opinion in this country, then you don't deserve to have your own.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 05:36:42 pm »
There weren't any Republicans back then...the democrat party is older than the republican party.

Also, I think the democrat party used to stand for what the republicans stood for pre neo-conservatist era

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 08:13:49 pm »
Generally, bigger government == less liberty.  That's what we're seeing as the government grows with DHS.  Republicans now are not being against bigger government, which is pissing off a lot of the voting base.

Canada is much more left-wing than the US, and we arguably have equal (or, I'd argue, more, but not here) liberty to the US. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 08:52:20 pm »
There weren't any Republicans back then...the democrat party is older than the republican party.

Also, I think the democrat party used to stand for what the republicans stood for pre neo-conservatist era
Democrats and Republicans flopped.  The Democrats used to be the conervatives, and Franklin was conservative.  I used today's standards to try and avoid confusion.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 09:52:13 pm »
Didnt they start to turn around or before Franklin though?  Cause he had MEGA huge government.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 12:38:45 am »
Third, Newby, I can say the same about you as you say about GS.  Drinking has fucked with your brain.  I will respect nothing you say in this thread until you apologize to GS.

Fifth, Newby, no more liquor.

I am not about to apologize to him when he took my joke, completely mis-interpreted it, and harassed me for it. If he can't figure out a joke, I'm not apologizing.

And FYI, I have not drank a single drop of alcohol since December, and I didn't drink enough to actually fuck myself up. If anything, it motivated me to try harder in school, since I can manage straight B+'s with the same workload I did last year, where last year I had straight B-'s.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 01:16:17 am »
Do what the other liberals do: blame Bush.
I'm not a liberal, but this is one thing I can blame Bush for. What about all of those Patriot Acts? IIRC, Bush had some huge part in this, yet did nothing. This sort of thing goes directly against our constitution.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 01:20:02 am »

Democrats and Republicans flopped.  The Democrats used to be the conervatives, and Franklin was conservative.  I used today's standards to try and avoid confusion.

That's because the Democrats were the ones advocating Lockean-ism back in the day, which is what modern-day republicans used to do.

Now everyone is communist, apparently.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 10:30:18 am »
Do what the other liberals do: blame Bush.
I'm not a liberal, but this is one thing I can blame Bush for. What about all of those Patriot Acts? IIRC, Bush had some huge part in this, yet did nothing. This sort of thing goes directly against our constitution.
Didnt the Patriot Act pass overwhelmingly in Congress?...meaning like its everyone's fault?

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2006, 04:41:26 pm »
Nobody read it, and they were like "USA PATRIOT Act?  Sounds good.  Sure, I'll vote for it!"

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 07:29:39 pm »
Nobody read it, and they were like "USA PATRIOT Act?  Sounds good.  Sure, I'll vote for it!"

Well, the main thing is that everybody was panicking about 9/11 when it was signed. 

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 08:15:12 pm »

Then reelect better congressmen.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:10 pm »
REelect better congressmen?...Elect better congressmen maybe? ;)