Author Topic: RTS Type Game  (Read 20160 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
RTS Type Game
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:01:34 pm »
I've started work on a simple Real Time Strategy (Think SC, WC, etc..) game.
I'm looking for help though since any game project is doomed withought a team.
I'm still debating:
Map format
UDP, TCP, or both
Opensource-ness (If so licensing)
Cross platform (Linux with OpenGL and a cross platform Audio Library)

What I currently use is:
3D Engine: Ogre3D (ogre3d.org)
GUI System: (In Game GUI) CEGUI (Crazy Eddies GUI) which is a scriptable GUI system
Resource Archive Format: Probably Zip unless I can find something better, I'm not too worried with people modifying the game

It will be both multiplayer and single player.

I'd be willing to put up a Forum/Wiki/SVN Repos so we can work easier.
My development platform is Windows XP SP2 with VS 2005 Express (C++) non managed.

My current progress:
Got Ogre initiated and I'm starting to seperate things into classes. I'm going to document more in proposals of what I think can be done.

If anyone is interested just reply. Really there are no requirements, just the will to contribute in some way.

It's meant to be a learning experience with something a little more realistic than an MMO.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: RTS Type Game
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:28:56 pm »
yes but i neeed vs2005\

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 02:02:10 pm »
Wish I had the time, but...I don't.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 02:09:27 pm »
It's Warrior..all programmers must assemble themselves out of fear. No is not an option.
Bring tea and cookies for my press conference with Chuck Norris, I'm going to turn him down. Yes I'm that damn badass.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:17:52 pm »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 11:41:13 am »

Added a prelim GUI to the game. Using CEGUI(latest) with a skin which can be changed.
XML for Windoow/Widget layouts for easy development.

Currently, I'm rewriting parts of the base to accomondate new ideas I've had and the networking code (Using RakNet an opensource UDP library) which I've begun to implement.

The game I've decided will be open source, LGPL and cross platform.

Todo:
- Abstract methods of creating simple CEGUI dialogs (Message Boxes, Popups Boxes, maybe floating buttons, etc..)
- Write a CEGUI skin
- Switch modes (Menu, In Game, In Chat, etc..)
- Abstract Multiplayer/Single player eg.

- You move to location xxxx
- That command gets sent to the command processor in game which sends it to RTS Core, RTS Core checks our state (Online/Offline) and forwards it either to the game AI or all of the players.

Things to consider:
-Multiplayer games may contain AI, treat them as players connected? How if we're using a UDP system will we have the concept of AI? Will they be local server clients and UDP connects to them? *Sigh*

Another thing to consider would be game chatting and how far I'd like to take it, multiple chat rooms? One room per server?

Also game lobbys will be like the ones in SC right now? Probably.

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 01:00:54 pm »
You're making an application.  Why LGPL?  GPL, zlib, or BSD are better ways to go.  LGPL was made for libraries.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 04:17:35 pm »
I don't agree with the restrictions with GPL. Basically if you would like to use a portion of the code just acknowledge where it came from and provide the edited source. With GPL if you link it with any other code all that code must be open source as well. That's a restriction I don't like, I'm not very fond of GPL's cancerous attributes.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 05:09:55 pm »
BSD is a good license then.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 05:30:03 pm »
I used LGPL because I didn't feel like looking up GPL compatible licenses, *shrug*

Offline MyndFyre

• The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 12:08:48 am »
BSD is still the appropriate license.

Incidentally, why are you using a 3d engine at all?  Then you have to find modelers and still overcome all of the other art-related hurdles you'd need to defeat in creating an MMO or related-type things.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 09:30:59 am »
BSD is still the appropriate license.

Incidentally, why are you using a 3d engine at all?  Then you have to find modelers and still overcome all of the other art-related hurdles you'd need to defeat in creating an MMO or related-type things.

RTS models are relatively low poly, I can either pay to have them done or model them myself. Texturing is relatively easy and the models are low poly and don't have to be carved in.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 10:01:51 am »
Things to consider:
-Multiplayer games may contain AI, treat them as players connected? How if we're using a UDP system will we have the concept of AI? Will they be local server clients and UDP connects to them?

Building the AI engine seperately to simulate another player is definately the easiest method as far as structuring is concerned (and the most logical IMO).  You wouldn't have to simulate remote connections though.  Personally I would abstract the connection layer so that it could be implemented in multiple ways and added onto later without issues.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 10:14:53 am »
Things to consider:
-Multiplayer games may contain AI, treat them as players connected? How if we're using a UDP system will we have the concept of AI? Will they be local server clients and UDP connects to them?

Building the AI engine seperately to simulate another player is definately the easiest method as far as structuring is concerned (and the most logical IMO).  You wouldn't have to simulate remote connections though.  Personally I would abstract the connection layer so that it could be implemented in multiple ways and added onto later without issues.

Sure but if I'm using UDP where does the CPU come from? It's basically clients only pass information back and forth to every user. The only way I can think of is to maybe have the creator of the game be simulated CPU. He would send his information and that of each CPU. Also we can couple players with a CPU as well to manage, they would send their respective information and then that of the CPU.

I'd have to look into how others have overcome this issue.