Author Topic: Test Tube Meat Nears Dinner Table  (Read 12144 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Test Tube Meat Nears Dinner Table
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:25:31 am »
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71201-0.html?tw=wn_index_1
What if the next burger you ate was created in a warm, nutrient-enriched soup swirling within a bioreactor?
Ewww..
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Test Tube Meat Nears Dinner Table
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:01:29 am »
They put such a negative spin on that, which isn't fair. 

I hate the idea of eating animals.  So many animals suffer so much for our benefit, an absolutely unreal amount.  At the moment, I won't eat veal, and I feel some level of guilt about eating other animals, but I can't just not eat meat. 

If they could mass-produce meat that looks and tastes exactly the same without the need to torture and kill animals, I'm all for it. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:01:59 am »
Then all the livestock meant for the dinner table would be liquidated, and would be a complete waste.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:11:34 am »
Anybody that wants to try a substitute meat ever:
Don't.
Stick with your real meat.  Soy and all that other crap tastes terrible.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:19:39 am »
It's not soy or tofu substitute, it is meat, it's just grown not born.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 01:49:44 pm »

I hate the idea of eating animals.  So many animals suffer so much for our benefit, an absolutely unreal amount.  At the moment, I won't eat veal, and I feel some level of guilt about eating other animals, but I can't just not eat meat. 

If they could mass-produce meat that looks and tastes exactly the same without the need to torture and kill animals, I'm all for it. 

I disagree.  Animals are not 'intelligent.'
Quote from: wiki
Intelligence is a general mental capability that involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. In psychology, the study of intelligence is related to the study of personality but is not the same as creativity, personality, character, or wisdom.

The act of eating an animal does not cause them pain/suffering.  Suggesting that killing an animal for food is wrong seems to violate the laws of nature IMO.  I agree that just because homosapiens as a whole could be considered 'above' animals does not make it ok to inflict unnecessary pain /suffering on an animal.  However, killing an animal for food and an animal suffering unnecessarily are not mutually inclusive so feeling guilt for eating an animal just because they may or may not have undergone unnecessary pain/suffering is illogical.

More on topic: 
I don't know how I feel about growing meat.  My first impression is that it doesn't sound very appetizing, but I can't think of any real reasons not to support it.  Especially if it decreases polution / decreases costs / helps solve world hunger / etc.  I'd like to see more independent opinions on the subject though as I may very well be missing an important downside.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 01:52:21 pm »
I'll stick with the real thing.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 01:57:20 pm »

Animals seem pretty intelligent to me.  "Monkeys cry".  Even if they aren't intelligent, they can feel pain and I'm reasonably sure they can have emotions (if you've ever owned a dog, you know that they can be grumpy, playful, etc)

Intelligence is a general mental capability that involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. In psychology, the study of intelligence is related to the study of personality but is not the same as creativity, personality, character, or wisdom.

The act of eating an animal does not cause them pain/suffering.  Suggesting that killing an animal for food is wrong seems to violate the laws of nature IMO.  I agree that just because homosapiens as a whole could be considered 'above' animals does not make it ok to inflict unnecessary pain /suffering on an animal.  However, killing an animal for food and an animal suffering unnecessarily are not mutually inclusive so feeling guilt for eating an animal just because they may or may not have undergone unnecessary pain/suffering is illogical.
Although it's true that it's natural, if I can avoid making animals sad at the cost of eating fake meat, then I'm all for it.  More below. 

More on topic: 
I don't know how I feel about growing meat.  My first impression is that it doesn't sound very appetizing, but I can't think of any real reasons not to support it.  Especially if it decreases polution / decreases costs / helps solve world hunger / etc.  I'd like to see more independent opinions on the subject though as I may very well be missing an important downside.
Even if animals aren't tortured, they are bred and live to serve as food, and that's not a very fulfilling life.  Then they die for us.  Great amounts of land for cattle to graze, especially in poor countries, which involves cutting down forests, causing erosion, polluting water, etc. 

But yeah, an independant study is required, for sure.  The article cited here is taken from a negative perspective, but I'd like to see something positive or neutral. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 02:01:02 pm »

agreed.
i think being eaten alive by a lion MIGHT be a bit more painful than being nailed in the head with a bolt & dying pretty quick.

More on topic: 
if it looks/tastes/feels ok, it'd be weird for a while but whatever....maybe it'd be more efficient & we could feed more people & itd be more sanitary & easier to control

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 02:57:14 pm »
Animals seem pretty intelligent to me.  "Monkeys cry".  Even if they aren't intelligent, they can feel pain and I'm reasonably sure they can have emotions (if you've ever owned a dog, you know that they can be grumpy, playful, etc)
Yes, animals have 'feelings' to an extent and they can feel pain.  I used the word intelligent and provided my definition.  I'm still having trouble thinking of a word that appropriately defines what I'm getting at since your example suggests you don't agree on my definition of intelligence.  I think this is a rather untuitive thing though.  There is an obvious difference between humans and animals (monkeys/dolphins/etc included) which is what I'm referring to.

Even if animals aren't tortured, they are bred and live to serve as food, and that's not a very fulfilling life.  Then they die for us.
As opposed to?  I don't think any animals have 'fulfilling' lives.  Even pets and lab animals are just fulfilling our desires, not theirs.  They are part of the food chain regardless of whether they are bred by humans or not.

Great amounts of land for cattle to graze, especially in poor countries, which involves cutting down forests, causing erosion, polluting water, etc. 
I agree.  This article does not mention whether 'grown' meat would reduce pollution or other negative effects.  It seems pretty obvious that it could reduce the strain on forests but could potentially increase pollution into the air/water.  Again, another view/study is needed.  Maybe I'll go look for one tomorrow.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 03:55:26 pm »

Note: I laugh at vegetarians and anyone else too sissy to eat meat.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 03:57:49 pm »
I don't eat meat that often simply because I usually don't like the taste.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 04:00:58 pm »
I don't eat meat that often simply because I usually don't like the taste.

Sissy..

jk

Well that's probably okay if you just don't like how it tastes but if you don't like it because "It hurts our fellow animals". The hell out of here with that, i'd eat an animal alive if I was hungry enough.

I'd like to starve a vegetarian with a hamburger infront of him..see how long it is before I can break his spirit. That's always been a dream of mine.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 04:06:11 pm »
I'd like to starve a vegetarian with a hamburger infront of him..see how long it is before I can break his spirit. That's always been a dream of mine.
He'd eat the bun, and the lettuce, and the tomato...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 04:11:05 pm »
Well that's probably okay if you just don't like how it tastes but if you don't like it because "It hurts our fellow animals". The hell out of here with that, i'd eat an animal alive if I was hungry enough.

Haha.  I still eat meat almost every day, but I don't get hyped about about steak dinners like a lot of people do.