Author Topic: New Server  (Read 17624 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
New Server
« on: July 03, 2006, 06:10:18 pm »
Well, the x86 forum/site/everything is now running off a new server.  I've consolidated my systems into a single computer running VMWare. 

The specs of the system are:
- Intel CPU, 3.2ghz
- 2gb ram
- 250gb harddrive
- 8mb or so of shared video memory
- no sound

The machine is named Vetinari, who is the patrician of Ankh Morpork, and probably the more powerful person in Discworld. 

The virtual machines I have so far (there will be more) are:

Albert: database server.  Alberto Malich was the smartest and most powerful wizard on discworld.  He founded the Unseen University, which is the center of magical training on the Disc.  In an attempt to ward off death, he performed the Rite of Ashkente (a ritual to summon death) backwards.  He's never been seen since.  The reason is that instead of warding off Death, it summoned him TO Death.  in exchange for immortality, he's now Death's servant (and quite happy doing it).  I named the database server after him because of his brilliance and intelligence. 

Weatherwax: x86 web server (port 80).  Esme ("Granny") Weatherwax is probably the most powerful witch on the Disc.  She leads a coven of three witches, which reminded me of a clan, like x86. 

Carrot: forum web server (port 81).  Carrot Ironfoundersson is a human who was brought up by dwarves.  He is the rightful heir to the throne of Ankh Morpork, but he innocently pretends he doesn't know, because he doesn't want the responsibility of being a King.  He has buckets of Charisma, and everybody loves him.  He knows everybody that's going on in the city, and is friends with everybody, which is why I named the forum server after him. 

If anybody has any questions, or any problems with the new server, let me know.  Right now, all i've moved over is the forum, but there will be more later. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: New Server
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 06:17:16 pm »
x86's website is back at http://www.x86labs.org.  If there's any problems, let me know.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 06:19:30 pm »
x86's website is back at http://www.x86labs.org.  If there's any problems, let me know.
wow is that undated

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:27:35 pm »
You blew up all the themes but your new default one.  You're trying to convert us!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 07:28:10 pm »
All the themes point to port 80, and I totally forgot about that.  I dont' have time to fix them all right now, but I'll fix mercury. 

If somebody else wants to fix the other themes (and delete the unused themes, that would be nice), the new info is:
Apache: /usr/apache2/htdocs/forum/Themes

Besides that, just add :81 to web paths. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 07:29:48 pm by iago »

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 08:04:01 pm »
Yay!  Smileys are broken, but nobody really uses them do they?   ;)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:28:57 pm »
There are people still not on the members' list on the main site.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 02:48:25 am »
So out of idle interest, why are you running different VMs for everything? Doesn't the overhead of having to run them out weigh the benefits?

P.S. The main site is outdated because the person who was running it got voted out of the clan. Yet ironically it still uses all my code and such.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 02:58:58 am »
P.S. The main site is outdated because the person who was running it got voted out of the clan. Yet ironically it still uses all my code and such.
Either that, or we just don't care enough to keep it updated.  :P
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 03:08:36 am »
Well, the x86 forum/site/everything is now running off a new server.  I've consolidated my systems into a single computer running VMWare. 

The specs of the system are:
- Intel CPU, 3.2ghz
- 2gb ram
- 250gb harddrive
- 8mb or so of shared video memory
- no sound

The machine is named Vetinari, who is the patrician of Ankh Morpork, and probably the more powerful person in Discworld. 

The virtual machines I have so far (there will be more) are:

Albert: database server.  Alberto Malich was the smartest and most powerful wizard on discworld.  He founded the Unseen University, which is the center of magical training on the Disc.  In an attempt to ward off death, he performed the Rite of Ashkente (a ritual to summon death) backwards.  He's never been seen since.  The reason is that instead of warding off Death, it summoned him TO Death.  in exchange for immortality, he's now Death's servant (and quite happy doing it).  I named the database server after him because of his brilliance and intelligence. 

Weatherwax: x86 web server (port 80).  Esme ("Granny") Weatherwax is probably the most powerful witch on the Disc.  She leads a coven of three witches, which reminded me of a clan, like x86. 

Carrot: forum web server (port 81).  Carrot Ironfoundersson is a human who was brought up by dwarves.  He is the rightful heir to the throne of Ankh Morpork, but he innocently pretends he doesn't know, because he doesn't want the responsibility of being a King.  He has buckets of Charisma, and everybody loves him.  He knows everybody that's going on in the city, and is friends with everybody, which is why I named the forum server after him. 

If anybody has any questions, or any problems with the new server, let me know.  Right now, all i've moved over is the forum, but there will be more later. 
Wow, I wish I was Albert.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 03:12:05 am »
We (or at least I) seem to have some problems with the database server.  iago, please check the forum error log and see the permissions SMF needs.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 03:27:03 pm »
So out of idle interest, why are you running different VMs for everything? Doesn't the overhead of having to run them out weigh the benefits?

No, I kind of doubt it.  Considering the stats on darkside and pie, partitioning his new server's resources is still a drastic improvement with just that considered.  I don't think any of the application servers he is running would benefit from having access to all of his server's resources.  With this, he can isolate problems much more easily and if one server starts having a problem, he can simply restore it without worrying about resetting any of his other servers.

Also because no one else has gotten the time or motivation to do it.  We have more than a few people able of updating it.  Also, I don't see how the fact it's still using your code is "ironic."

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 04:45:15 pm »

There are a few benefits:
- Security -- I can restrict stuff better.
- Flexibility -- if I want to test something, it's easy.
- Cost -- One 3.2ghz server, and I can run just about everything at 3.2ghz (more later).
- Coolness -- it's just really cool having something powerful finally :)
- I can't think of a title -- I can give VMWare instances to friends and stuff.
- Experience -- This is the first time I've set up a properly controlled network. 

The odds of two of the servers both needing the CPU at the same time is low, and I don't plan to run a lot of heavy aps.  Thus, odds are that all instances will get high CPU usage most of the time. 

But yes, there is some overhead.  VMware uses a tiny bit of CPU and something like 100mb of ram.  I can survive with that, considering the benefits. 

No, it's outdated because nobody could really update it.  Now that it's on a distinct server, I'm ok with giving the entire clan the password, provided I'm backing it up just in case something happens. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:46:46 pm by iago »

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 06:33:34 pm »
There are a few benefits:
- Security -- I can restrict stuff better.
- Flexibility -- if I want to test something, it's easy.
- Cost -- One 3.2ghz server, and I can run just about everything at 3.2ghz (more later).
- Coolness -- it's just really cool having something powerful finally :)
- I can't think of a title -- I can give VMWare instances to friends and stuff.
- Experience -- This is the first time I've set up a properly controlled network. 

The odds of two of the servers both needing the CPU at the same time is low, and I don't plan to run a lot of heavy aps.  Thus, odds are that all instances will get high CPU usage most of the time. 

But yes, there is some overhead.  VMware uses a tiny bit of CPU and something like 100mb of ram.  I can survive with that, considering the benefits.

Ah, sounds like its working out nicely for you then. I'd really like to do this actually but running one VMWare instance is hard enough. Then again I have a fourth the ram and am trying to run heavy applications like vs.net and photoshop.

Sidoh: Its ironic when you look at the reasons why I was kicked out of the clan and the fact that it still uses my code which could contain fun things like backdoors and what not :p
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 07:07:01 pm »
Your code has been looked at by several members, so they'd probably see backdoors.