Author Topic: CBC television must suck...  (Read 3439 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
CBC television must suck...
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:07:59 pm »

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: CBC television must suck...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:16:37 pm »
LOL THAT FUCKING ROCKS :D
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:02:37 am »
I have that Key chain.  :D
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:22:56 am »
I have that Key chain.  :D

So does iago, but his shit is edible.  Oh, btw, CBC sucks, but it's not that bad, probably because it has the simpsons on weekdays.  *shrug*
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 03:39:38 am »
Is CBC like the one main television channel thing?...since you guys are communist & all

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 03:40:34 am »
Is CBC like the one main television channel thing?...since you guys are communist & all

lol, that's one of the most retarded things I've heard on this forum, on many different levels.   :o

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:46:04 am »

lol, that's one of the most retarded things I've heard on this forum, on many different levels.   :o
I know, sweety...but anyways...isnt the CBC like the main national news/tv station?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 09:00:06 am »
I used to watch CBC when I lived in northern Washington. I grew up watching Seseme(sp?) Street in French.

Un, duo, twa, quet. However you spell them. I can count to four in French -- one thing I learned from that show.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:26:20 pm »
Hard-line right wingers in the US seem to like making a big deal of the "CBC" -- the "Communist" Broadcasting  Corporation, etc.  I think it's ridiculous.  It's just a publicly funded radio and TV station, much like NPR is a publicly funded radio station in the US.  But it is a very good public station: a huge amount of effort goes into making the programs and music selection interesting and the overall station cohesive.  Whenever I'm driving in the car, I almost automatically look for the CBC on the radio, because it will almost always have the most entertaining program or music. And it also supports a lot of music that a lot of people really enjoy listening to, but wouldn't necessarily bring in the most money to a radio station (for example, they have a great station that just plays classical music).  So it is different than other radio stations partly because it isn't trying to make money: this is certainly needed when basically every other station is playing pop or metal, or has some very low-brow, brain dead, sexually lude program on for ratings.  The CBC also is known for supporting a lot of musical and journalistic talent in Canada: a lot of musicians and reporters you probably have heard of might not have made to it where they are if it weren't for the CBC. 

A lot of people in the US would criticize the CBC for being biased as a news source since it is publicly funded, but it is easy to turn that criticism around to private stations who are biased by trying to make money above all else.  Also, because it's publicly funded, the CBC is more accountable than most stations.
Further, since it isn't just a news source, as explained above, any criticism for possible political bias is mostly irrelevant.

Finally, the CBC is not a monopoly in any way.  TV in Canada is just like TV in the US: with most standard deals you'd get about 45 channels (FOX, MSNBC, etc), and 1 of those channels would happen to be the CBC.  Since the CBC is probably better than half of the channels there, I'm glad it's included, and I think most Canadians are too.  There are a lot of other Canadian news sources and groups as well: for example, the Globe and Mail and the National Post, and several TV stations.  As far as politics go, while most media stations tend to have a slight liberal bias, I would say that the CBC is fairly neutral -- probably a little bit to the left of centre.

TV in Britain, and most of Europe, on the other hand, is much different.  You get about 4 channels, and the BBC is one of them.  I imagine the other 3 channels are better than most north american ones though.

(Joe:  *cringes*.   Un, deux, trois, quatre, ...).  Français est ma première langue.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:02:38 pm by Rule »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 10:21:09 pm »
Haha, duo, twa, quet -- you might want to turn Sesame Street back on! :P

But seriously, I agree and disagree with Rule. 

I agree that there is nothing wrong with CBC.  It's just another channel that has its own content, and it's publicly funded.  But it's not a propaganda station by any stretch of the imagination. 

Additionally, it has some good shows.  The Red Green Show, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Royal Canadian Air Farce... those are classic Canadian shows. 

However, in general, I don't like CBC.  I don't like most of their music or programs.  I have no problem with Rule liking them, but I don't personally.  It's a matter of taste and nothing else. 

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 10:30:10 pm »
However, in general, I don't like CBC.  I don't like most of their music or programs.  I have no problem with Rule liking them, but I don't personally.  It's a matter of taste and nothing else. 

I actually think the CBC has gotten a lot worse in the last 10 years, but I didn't want to bring that up because I was on a pro-CBC frenzy, and there certainly still is a lot of points in its favour.  I think it would be horrible if we just let it go.

Some of their music is pretty weird.  Whenever I want to listen to classical music though, I usually tune into CBC 2 classical: it's basically the only radio station where I can get quality classical music, and it would be a big shame if all they cared about was money and just replaced the classical with something generic to make money.  Big money making music is readily available elsewhere.  We should try and preserve the classic music and arts in spite of what's "hip" at the moment: they have survived so long for a reason!  Having a station that is freed from monetary concerns is refreshing.  However, if every radio station were public I would certainly change my tone.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 10:33:50 pm by Rule »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 11:54:08 pm »
lol

...I remember hearing about the Red Green show, what is it...I dont exactly remember

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 12:12:32 am »
lol

...I remember hearing about the Red Green show, what is it...I dont exactly remember

Think: duct tape. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 12:14:32 am »
lol

Think: duct tape. 

LOL!  I love the ducttaped cars

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 01:01:22 am »
The Red-Green show has to be one of my favorite shows.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...