Author Topic: Network monitoring tool?  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Network monitoring tool?
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:34:33 pm »
I need one that tells me what is connecting to where and how fast.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Network monitoring tool?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »
TCPView from Sysinternals can tell you what processes are connecting to what and whether they are active. I don't know how you can tell how fast they are transmitting data; a packet sniffer like Ethereal might be able to give you a general idea of how fast it's going.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:38:47 pm »
Yea... my dad's looking for one so he can see what is making his connection slow.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:39:48 pm »
Yea... my dad's looking for one so he can see what is making his connection slow.

I would mix the two personally. But eh? Did he ever think it could be his ISP being a whore? That's our current problem. My dad pays for 9 mbit down and we're getting 40 kb/s tops. :/
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 05:44:30 pm »
Sniffer?

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 06:17:40 pm »

I would mix the two personally. But eh? Did he ever think it could be his ISP being a whore? That's our current problem. My dad pays for 9 mbit down and we're getting 40 kb/s tops. :/
No... it's just him ;P Trust me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:28:10 pm »
Ntop

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 01:34:38 am »
ntop for Windows is also provided as a binary application with limited capture capability. If you want to use the full version with unlimited packet capture you can either recompile by-yourself the application using the ntop source code or register your ntop for Windows copy. If you decide to register your copy, we'll send you an URL from which you can download the full version as well as a developer-friendly easy to build project for compiling ntop. As you registered your copy of ntop you are entitled to get future releases and fixes free of charge as soon as they become available.
>;( !

Let's say I identify this culprit clogging up the traffic with what it's doing... how do I go about stopping it. (Meaning, I can't stop it via task manager, or can't end it for it might cause something else not to work) How would I like block it?

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:51:12 am »
Firewall?
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:20:31 am »

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 03:26:03 am »
Depends. What are you trying to block?
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 09:29:46 am »
Depends. What are you trying to block?
Exactly.  Figure out what it is. 

Is there a network?  If it's a network, it could be any computer.  I'd suggest installing ntop on a Linux box and either using the Linux as a router (temporarily, till you figure out the issue) or plugging it into the same  hub (making sure to tell ntop to use promiscuous mode). 

If it's just a single computer, figure out what's doing it.  If it's spyware, delete it.  If it's P2P, stop using it.  If it's nothing, tell your dad to stop complaining and to stop driving too, while you're at it. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 01:13:18 pm »
Sort of a noob question, iago, but: can you cap bandwidth for a specified IP/MAC address using something like this if it's on a network's router?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 01:34:36 pm »
Sort of a noob question, iago, but: can you cap bandwidth for a specified IP/MAC address using something like this if it's on a network's router?

I know in pf on my FreeBSD router I can. On my dad's Sonicwall router he can.

It's a simple queue with a maximum bandwidth of x KB/s that I can apply to anything. And I'd just apply it to any data coming out from IP aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.

On a side note, ntop is awesome.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 01:55:03 pm »
Yes, you can limit bandwidth based on anything: ip, port, protocol (layer 2, 3, 4, and 7), and any other check that iptables can do. 

Incidentally, that's called "packet shaping"

I have a script that sets it up, but I suddenly can't access the computer that it's on. I'll post it here later if I remember.