Author Topic: What Linux can learn from Microsoft  (Read 19199 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: What Linux can learn from Microsoft
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2006, 10:38:13 pm »
Those are good reasons, but for the same reason (the "I know what this thing does / is exactly" reason), I'd rather buy things online. Of course, I'm biased, because the first thing I'll do with my paychecks is pay back small debts to various people, and then buy computer parts (and eventually an entire new computer) and you can't exactly do that locally.
That's not exactly my reason.. my reason is that I like to see and touch and feel it before I buy it.

And I don't see why people can't do that locally.  I mean, maybe you can't where you live, but you make it sound like nobody can.  I've personally bought all my computer parts locally, and I like doing that. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2006, 10:42:27 pm »
If it gets taken, somebody still loses money.  Whether or not it's my money doesn't matter. 

But no, I like the hands-on feel of stores.  I don't buy a monitor until I test it, I don't buy a hammer until I swing it, I don't buy a book till I've flipped through it and maybe read a page or two (in the middle), etc.  When you buy something online, you don't necessarily get what you want. 

I have bought my share of things off eBay, though.  Mostly books, NES games, movies, and other stuff that I can't possibly buy here.  But I don't like doing it, I greatly prefer being able to hold what I'm going to buy. 

Also, I like supporting local companies, where possible.  But that's not a rule, I still buy a lot at Wal-Mart and Chapters.  But that's not my main reason, just a side reason. 

Who loses money if a person takes your credit card number online?  The credit card company?  I can guarentee that even if those charges went against them that they wouldn't know the difference.

I suppose that's a good thing, but I personally like the options you have online.  You have more choices in the category you're shopping in, you can search and read reviews and learn of good and bad experiences people have had with the product in reference.  I understand your point, though.  I don't think I'd ever buy something like a car online.  However, almost everything I do buy is online.  That has a lot to do with me living in a very small town that has no stores selling anything of my interest.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2006, 11:03:54 pm »
Who loses money if a person takes your credit card number online?  The credit card company?  I can guarentee that even if those charges went against them that they wouldn't know the difference.

I suppose that's a good thing, but I personally like the options you have online.  You have more choices in the category you're shopping in, you can search and read reviews and learn of good and bad experiences people have had with the product in reference.  I understand your point, though.  I don't think I'd ever buy something like a car online.  However, almost everything I do buy is online.  That has a lot to do with me living in a very small town that has no stores selling anything of my interest.
Yeah, reading opinions can be useful too.  But I have different (and often very unique) opinions on what's important.  I don't trust other people's opinions.  But that's just me, it's a personal thing, like I sai. 

And yeah, I live in a decently sized city (somewhere around 650,000 people), so I have access to pretty much anything I need (other than Necromunda models).