Author Topic: What to use?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
What to use?
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:06:03 pm »
I've got a Compaq Proliant server sitting next to me, and I want to turn it into a NFS, though I'm not sure what OS to use.  It won't run any version of Windows well, so Server is out.  I know iago runs his servers as Slackware, and Newby likes BSD.  Suggestions?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: What to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:08:51 pm »
Slackware and BSD will both work.  I don't think either will set up NFS for you automatically, so be prepared for some light reading (and I really mean light, that's not intended to be facitious)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:11:32 pm »
Yeah, I knew I'd have to do some research, but I'm looking for the best OS to act as the server.  I really have no idea what I'm doing yet :X

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 02:36:09 pm »
FreeBSD is really nice and easy to get working as a server. I recommend it highly. The kernel is easy to compile (easier than compiling a Linux kernel IMO) and ports makes keeping software up to date simple.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.