Author Topic: Might move to NetBSD  (Read 3488 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Might move to NetBSD
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:57:02 am »
I might be moving my laptop to NetBSD for wireless driver stability.  NetBSD 4.0 is nearing its release, adding WPA and various other features that I would like.
The iwi driver, and well, any driver written by Damien (who is no longer working on the drivers) hold non-sleep locks in sleeping threads.  The code is massive, I printed out some 60 or 70 pages so it looks like finding a needle in a hay stack.  I might give patching it a crack, but it doesn't look promising.  I advise anyone with Intel Pro Wireless cards and Ralink Wireless cards to avoid FreeBSD until these issues are settled.

I recently setup a NetBSD test machine (one among many P2P VLAN test machines) and was quite impressed with it ... it has pretty extensive hardware support too ... its even got a driver for an Electronic Oboe.  How bizarre?

See:
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/89926
http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/changes-4.0.html
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Might move to NetBSD
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 02:24:13 am »
Say, I bought a Dell Inspiron notebook, standard machine. What would be the steps needed to get Wifi up and going with say, Gaim and Firefox? I really don't want to run Windows on a limited-power machine, and the only reason I use it on the beastly desktop is for gaming.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:00:37 am »
Say, I bought a Dell Inspiron notebook, standard machine. What would be the steps needed to get Wifi up and going with say, Gaim and Firefox? I really don't want to run Windows on a limited-power machine, and the only reason I use it on the beastly desktop is for gaming.

On FreeBSD or ... ?

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:36:31 am »
Joe would be lost on a BSD machine.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:46:18 am »
Assuming they use a normal card, you:
- Install Linux/BSD
- Install or load drivers
- Have fun

If I was to buy a laptop, I'd make sure to get Intel Centrino.  Centrino comes with a standard wireless card (ipw2200), which has opensource drivers (http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net).  I've gotten my Centrino laptop's wireless going without a whole lot of trouble on both Linux and FreeBSD.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:22:06 am »
Joe would be lost on a BSD machine.
I don't know, Joe seems able enough.  I think *BSD or Gentoo are great systems to start with because they force you to read the handbook and gain a real understanding for the system.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:55 am »

That's where I got stuck.

Linux (of course) with a 2.6.8+ kernel [link]. See README.ipw2200 for information on specific options required to be enabled in the kernel.

:(

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:04:21 pm »

That's where I got stuck.

Linux (of course) with a 2.6.8+ kernel [link]. See README.ipw2200 for information on specific options required to be enabled in the kernel.

:(

I'm not impressed with Linux's driver infrastructure ... and I'm especially disgusted by hotplugging and ALSA (having written a MIDI ALSA driver).
I can't believe driver and application authors can put up with Linux.