Author Topic: Camping, AFKs  (Read 7665 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: Camping, AFKs
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 08:30:13 pm »
On Saturday, my friend slept in late, till around 12:00pm (16 hours!).  I got up pretty early, warmed up by the fire (I was totally frozen), then read my book for a few hours.  For breakfast, I had pizza pops cooked over the fire (I don't think you have those in the US, but they're pizza fillings in a bread shell thing).  For lunch, I had dry instant noodles.  Eventually, we went to a drive to the nearest town, Bissett, which is about an hour away.  We bought groceries (for outrageous prices -- it's a mining town of less than 1000 people with one store).  The lady running the store was a total loudmouth bitch, we loved her.  I backed the rental car into a giant tire outside the store, hopefully they won't notice the black mark when I take it back :-o.  There's something about tiny isolated mining towns that scares me.  I always feel like an outsider, and I'm always sure that they have some kind of horrible secret that they can't tell anybody about.  They're all vampires or they worship Satan or they sacrifice children or something, who knows?  Later, we went fishing by our campsite.  After about an hour, my friend got bored and left.  5 minutes later, I caught a jackfish (see my pictures).  It wasn't huge, but my friend was totally upset, having never fished before (I've fished lots). The hook was wedged really good in his mouth, so I had to use the glove thing to get a good grip on it.
LMFAO!! This paragraph and this one:

Saturday night, we read a book of campfire ghost stories.  Of course, we tried to scare each other in stupid ways, such as:
Her: can you get me the Oreos?
Me: how have you already eaten half of them?
Her: I haven't opened them yet!
Me: Then who did (dududu!)
were my two favorite by far!! Lmfao!!  And yes, we have something like your pizza pops in America.  We call them Pizza Rolls.

Because we're just good friends.  Nothing romantic.  You can be friends with a female, you know!
Uhh.. Sure you can? :P
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 11:01:04 pm »
Because we're just good friends.  Nothing romantic.  You can be friends with a female, you know!
Uhh.. Sure you can? :P
[/quote]
iago is lieing. He really wants to bone her, but pretends he doesnt.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 01:24:33 am »
Having a friend who's a girl is hard. Every 5 seconds you question not really wanting her as a girlfriend. :p
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 02:33:39 am »
I whole-heartedly agree with iago.  It's easily possible to have a girl as a friend and have no intentions of anything beyond a friendly relationship with them.  I don't reject the possibility of some event that causes one or the other two like the other person as "more than a friend," but that doesn't mean these sorts of relationships aren't possible.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 08:50:19 am »
Going out for the weekend to a secluded camping area, alone, is rarely something "just friends" do.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 10:01:37 am »
I whole-heartedly agree with iago.  It's easily possible to have a girl as a friend and have no intentions of anything beyond a friendly relationship with them.  I don't reject the possibility of some event that causes one or the other two like the other person as "more than a friend," but that doesn't mean these sorts of relationships aren't possible.

I agree that they are very very possible, but in many many circumstances that one party feels this way, the other party secretly wants more but would rather just be friends than jeopardize the entire relationship.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 10:27:09 am »
I'm pretty sure that neither of us feels that way.  I mean, I know I'm totally not her type (she likes guys who are thin, long hair, etc -- 80's metal guys are her favorite, Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue is her favorite), and she's not my type (I'd prefer somebody my own age).  So it's all good.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 11:31:21 am »
I agree that they are very very possible, but in many many circumstances that one party feels this way, the other party secretly wants more but would rather just be friends than jeopardize the entire relationship.

Yep.  that's what I was implying. :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 02:26:21 pm »
I'm pretty sure that neither of us feels that way.  I mean, I know I'm totally not her type (she likes guys who are thin, long hair, etc -- 80's metal guys are her favorite, Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue is her favorite), and she's not my type (I'd prefer somebody my own age).  So it's all good.
Maybe I missed it, but how old is she?
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 03:24:49 pm »
I can't remember exactly, but over 40.  When I met her, she was twice my age, but that was a couple years ago.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 04:09:46 pm »
Wow!!! I wasn't expecting her to be that much older than you!  Geez.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 05:15:19 pm »
See there's another way you can avoid making a female friend more than that: make friends with a female whom would provide nausiating sex.  (That was the only part I found funny in 50 First Dates.  It was on TV last night so I watched about ten minutes of it again).

Haha, just kidding.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 08:18:12 pm »
I wouldn't call it nauseating, .. just weird :P

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 02:10:05 am »
I wouldn't call it nauseating, .. just weird :P

Speaking from experience, eh?  ;)

[size=0pt](I know.  : )  )[/size]
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 08:08:56 pm »
Grandpa, Uncle, whatever! :P.  And hmm, I don't know Booster Lake, I guess I don't know lakes that far away from Nopiming.  Oh well! 

Anyway, I upload pictures: http://www.javaop.com/~ron/ospap/show_category.php?category_id=34

And, here's the story for anybody who feels like reading.  I'll try to keep it brief, while explaining everything .....

We left Friday morning.  We drove about 4 hours to get there in our rental car.  It was just me and a friend.  Our car was packed tight, and we thought we had everything.  Ha.  We both like the same music, sort of, so we had a good time going there.  We stopped for gas half way, in a town called Lac Du Bonnet.  Then we passed my friend's friend's cottage, which is on Bird River, which was pretty cool.  Eventually, we saw a couple deer, and later a bunch of prairie chickens.  I am convinced that Prairie Chickens are the dumbest animals ever, when I stopped right behind them and honked and they kept looking around like feathered little morons.  The only other event on the way in was stopping at Shoe Lake to use the washrooms. 

We got there, and set up the tent and table and everything, and that went smoothly.  Eventually, we realized that we forgot to bring a can opener, which sucked because eating canned food would be tricky.  When my friend asked for the camp-stove, I handed her the camp-barbecue.  She asked me where the stove was.  I thought that WAS the stove!  Since I packed, we didn't have one.  Uh oh! 

After getting set up, we did a little drive to my grandparent's cottage, which is at Long Lake.  They just happened to have a little stove and a spare can opener.  They were happy to see we got there safely (the roads are a little treacherous at times).  So we got what we needed from them, with a promise I'd visit them on Saturday or Sunday, and went back to cook dinner.  On the way back we saw a fox carrying a rabbit.  It ran down a road towards an old goldmine, so we followed it but it quickly lost us.  We walked around some old ruins there, they were neat. 

So we go to cook, and start to realize we're missing things (like milk and butter -- made it hard to make Kraft Dinner).  Eventually it occurred to me that we were missing everything we'd bought at Wal-Mart, which was mostly everything we bought.  For supper, I had Kraft Dinner with no milk/butter and some smokies cooked over the fire.  My friend had bacon. 

We were both tired, so we made a camp fire and listened to music and stuff for the evening.  She turned in about 8pm or so, and I stayed up till about 10.  I sat by the lake in the cold, watching the mist come up, with a full moon, reading Edger Allan Poe stories with a flashlight.  That was pretty amazing.  Eventually, I went for a walk around the campground (without a flashlight, the moon was so bright).  There were only 2 other sites in use, and no bears.

On Saturday, my friend slept in late, till around 12:00pm (16 hours!).  I got up pretty early, warmed up by the fire (I was totally frozen), then read my book for a few hours.  For breakfast, I had pizza pops cooked over the fire (I don't think you have those in the US, but they're pizza fillings in a bread shell thing).  For lunch, I had dry instant noodles.  Eventually, we went to a drive to the nearest town, Bissett, which is about an hour away.  We bought groceries (for outrageous prices -- it's a mining town of less than 1000 people with one store).  The lady running the store was a total loudmouth bitch, we loved her.  I backed the rental car into a giant tire outside the store, hopefully they won't notice the black mark when I take it back :-o.  There's something about tiny isolated mining towns that scares me.  I always feel like an outsider, and I'm always sure that they have some kind of horrible secret that they can't tell anybody about.  They're all vampires or they worship Satan or they sacrifice children or something, who knows?  Later, we went fishing by our campsite.  After about an hour, my friend got bored and left.  5 minutes later, I caught a jackfish (see my pictures).  It wasn't huge, but my friend was totally upset, having never fished before (I've fished lots). The hook was wedged really good in his mouth, so I had to use the glove thing to get a good grip on it.   

Saturday night, we read a book of campfire ghost stories.  Of course, we tried to scare each other in stupid ways, such as:
Her: can you get me the Oreos?
Me: how have you already eaten half of them? 
Her: I haven't opened them yet!
Me: Then who did (dududu!)
Throughout the story, I could hear rustling in the forest behind me.  My friend kept saying that I was trying to scare her, because she couldn't hear it, but I kept hearing it without seeing what was causing it.  I figured it was a rabbit or a vole or something.  It wasn't until the next night that I caught it -- it was a frog. 

On Sunday, I went to my grandparents' for a couple hours, and visited their neighbours.  On my way there, I saw a bear walking down the road.  My friend was totally disappointed because she wanted to see a bear so badly.  Apparently the Neighbours (the Andersonses) saw the bear while out for a walk, and they walked backwards back to their cottage.  The rest of the day, I read some more and not much else.  Our barbecue broke, so we cooked hamburgers over the fire pit.  I wish I got pictures, it was a pretty huge flame. 

Then today, we came back home.  We stopped at Chicken Chef on the way home and had a good meal, and got home, unpacked, and here we are! 

So yeah, enjoy the pictures :)

http://www.boosterlake.com/

:)