Author Topic: I HATE MY ROUTER  (Read 4870 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
I HATE MY ROUTER
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:19:46 pm »
Stupid fucking Motorola.
EVERY time I use Bittorrent and leave it running overnight while seeding my router fucking EXPLODES and thinks the modem is offline.  Stupid piece of shit.  Maybe [hopefully!] a firmware update will fix it.  Otherwise, I'm switching back to the D-Link Switch I will hopefully get back once my brother brings it back.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: I HATE MY ROUTER
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:27:31 pm »
motorolla makes routers?  :o

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:30:53 pm »
I had that issue, too, using Linux for a router.  It was because it only supports tracking 32k simultaneous (or nearby) connections, and using BitTorrent would kill that limit.  To fix it, I just limited BitTorrent's outgoing connection count and limited the upload/download speed, and I haven't had a problem since. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:01:08 pm »
Mine is limited to. 250 or 200 peers total.  My max up speed is 35.0kb/s, I have 40-42.0kb/s available.  My max down speed is.. unlimited.  That won't do anything if I'm seeding and this problem happens, anyways. :p

motorolla makes routers?  :o
Yeah..  Don't get me started.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 09:16:06 pm »
Mine is limited to. 250 or 200 peers total.  My max up speed is 35.0kb/s, I have 40-42.0kb/s available.  My max down speed is.. unlimited.  That won't do anything if I'm seeding and this problem happens, anyways. :p
Try lowing all that and see if it helps?  The peer count for sure.  How routers/firewalls track UDP connections (which BitTorrent frequently uses) varies.  They sometimes hang around for up to an hour or more.  In that case, hitting the 32k ceiling still isn't easy, but very possible on a popular torrent.

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 09:46:43 pm »
Maybe something in the Indian air messes with the internal ventilation system.. I've had that problem whenever I visit India.

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:18:45 pm »
Try lowing all that and see if it helps?  The peer count for sure.  How routers/firewalls track UDP connections (which BitTorrent frequently uses) varies.  They sometimes hang around for up to an hour or more.  In that case, hitting the 32k ceiling still isn't easy, but very possible on a popular torrent.
The torrents I download are all, at most, 200 peers and 100 seeders.  Except for the occasional thing like Slackware, they are generally not very populous.

I sent Motorola an e-mail about this.. let's see what they say.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 02:23:22 am »
Dear Sir or Madame,

Your email is important to us.  We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you soon.  One of our representatives will contact you shortly in regards to your email.

Please do not reply to this automated message.

Thank you and have a nice life.

Motorolla Customer Service

Note that you should read the above email as:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You actually think we care about you? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Bye now!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:15:22 am »
The torrents I download are all, at most, 200 peers and 100 seeders.  Except for the occasional thing like Slackware, they are generally not very populous.

I sent Motorola an e-mail about this.. let's see what they say.
So, you're completely unwilling to try and fix the problem?  Then why even bother posting it here, just to whine about it?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 08:29:06 am »
So, you're completely unwilling to try and fix the problem?  Then why even bother posting it here, just to whine about it?

No.. I just don't feel like reading through the manual (which I don't even know where I put it) to find the maximum number of connections supported.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 09:45:01 am »

No.. I just don't feel like reading through the manual (which I don't even know where I put it) to find the maximum number of connections supported.
It's not like you can tell how many connections BitTorrent makes, anyways.  With default settings on, I think, Azureus, I hit the 32k mark pretty fast (couple hours).  And it's pretty unlikely that anything would attempt to track more than 32766 simultaneous connections, it's mostly about how fast it forgets about old connections. 

To try and mitigate it: halve the number of connections your BitTorrent client can make, and see if you still have the same problem. 

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:25:05 am »
Stop bad mouthing Motorola routers.  At least they have cool names like 'Surfboard', can you say that about anyother router manufacturer? No, so choose Motorola where they care more about coolness then functionality.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 11:19:31 am »
Stop bad mouthing Motorola routers.  At least they have cool names like 'Surfboard', can you say that about anyother router manufacturer? No, so choose Motorola where they care more about coolness then functionality.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 'SURFboard' a modem?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 12:32:49 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 'SURFboard' a modem?
Indeed, a very popular one at that.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:44 pm »
It's not like you can tell how many connections BitTorrent makes, anyways.  With default settings on, I think, Azureus, I hit the 32k mark pretty fast (couple hours).  And it's pretty unlikely that anything would attempt to track more than 32766 simultaneous connections, it's mostly about how fast it forgets about old connections. 

To try and mitigate it: halve the number of connections your BitTorrent client can make, and see if you still have the same problem. 
I got the answer in the e-mail.  254 IP address connections.  Agh.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed