Author Topic: Crazy Guitarist  (Read 3353 times)

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
Crazy Guitarist
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:57:13 pm »
I think I showed someone this a while back.. Probably Sido..

This guy is crazy, he utilizes like every part of the guitar.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7442132741322615356&q=crazy+guitar

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Crazy Guitarist
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:00:03 pm »
Justin King.  He's an absolute genius with music.  He hasn't had any training.  He's entirely self taught.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:37:43 pm »
I love guys that totally shred at guitar and still manage to sound good. Other than the werid percussive sounds, I totally dig that guy, definately one of the best I've seen rock an accoustic.

Anyone that likes guitar gods check out people like this (mostly metal guys, but anyone who appreciates guitar will enjoy watching some of this stuff):
Michael Angelo Batio - This guy plays a V shaped double guitar.. one with each hand. He can also shred on a single axe and has this weird over-under technique that both sounds pisser and is visually impressive, because of the video quality it almost looks sped up.
Rusty Cooley - 7 string sweeps, and hands that can strech from the 12th-22nd frets while playing.. nuff said
Joe Stump is practically jesus. My friend takes guitar lessons from this guy, he's the head guitar instructor at the Berklee school of music in Boston.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 08:19:41 pm »
Michael Angelo Batio - This guy plays a V shaped double guitar.. one with each hand. He can also shred on a single axe and has this weird over-under technique that both sounds pisser and is visually impressive, because of the video quality it almost looks sped up.
I may not know much about guitars, but I know one thing: you're supposed to pick them.  How does he play without picking? 

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 08:44:25 pm »
I may not know much about guitars, but I know one thing: you're supposed to pick them.  How does he play without picking? 
You can also play a note by tapping it at the fret, which is what he is doing.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:13 am »
Cool!  And as proof that I don't know crap about guitars, I had to look up what 'fret' means :P

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 01:08:10 am »
@ Batio, the last minute was amazing. I particularily liked how he was playing by reversing his grip on the neck of the guitar like.. really fast, keeping the sound smooth but reversing every note.

And of course how he flipped the whole guitar upside down and rocked out. Metal.

@ Cooley, blah. He's wicked, but I can only listen to thirty seconds of pure-nonstop face-melting solos.. I like them more when they're integrated into like 10-15 seconds worth in a song.. Which is normally how it is anyways. It just gets too repetetive to me after a while.

@ Stump, wowz0rs. He like.. It's hard to explain. His fingers glide over the neck a lot more fluently than what I normally see in metal solos.. It makes it look real neat & unique . He also gets a sort of rhythm into his solos which is elite.

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 10:33:38 pm »
Although he is tapping part of it, he's playing on a classical guitar. You'll very rarely see/hear anyone using a pick on a classical guitar, yet an example on someone doing it on and off is Eddie Van Halen about 18 seconds into Spanish Fly. As for this guy, the majority of the time he's doing a really weird strumming pattern that I can only relate to flamenco (example), and simply finger picking.

Anyways, Jason Becker owns all of these guys. Sadly, I can't show you him playing my favorite piece from him (Altitudes), because he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and was losing all of his speed when he wrote it. Watch this and you'll get a beter idea of what happened.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 09:39:59 am »
Anyways, Jason Becker owns all of these guys. Sadly, I can't show you him playing my favorite piece from him (Altitudes), because he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and was losing all of his speed when he wrote it. Watch this and you'll get a beter idea of what happened.
Becker is amazing, especially his work with Marty Friedman in Cacophony. One band with not only two of the best guitarists in the world, but also two of the greatest composers. These guys can shred and write, something that seems to elude most guitarists.