Author Topic: Apparently, Slackware doesn't like Microsoft Virtual Server 2005  (Read 8748 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Apparently, Slackware doesn't like Microsoft Virtual Server 2005
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 02:23:06 pm »
Apparently VMWare is miles ahead of Virtual Server anyways. 

Note -- I haven't read the entire article, so YMMV

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 04:12:54 pm »
Slightly higher disk latency, less SAN latency and slightly less ram usage doesn't seem like "Miles ahead" to me. Just another stupid article with a loaded title to get users to read it.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 04:16:50 pm »
Slightly higher disk latency, less SAN latency and slightly less ram usage doesn't seem like "Miles ahead" to me. Just another stupid article with a loaded title to get users to read it.

VMware published tests that showed ESX Server latency at 13% when running with virtual (rather than physical) disks. Tests performed by the Australian consulting firm Capitalhead benchmarked Microsoft Virtual Server virtual hard drive latency at 28%.

That's a pretty significant difference.  I've used both (though I haven't used VPC in a while...) and I do like VMWare quite a bit more.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 08:01:52 pm »

VMware published tests that showed ESX Server latency at 13% when running with virtual (rather than physical) disks. Tests performed by the Australian consulting firm Capitalhead benchmarked Microsoft Virtual Server virtual hard drive latency at 28%.

That's a pretty significant difference.  I've used both (though I haven't used VPC in a while...) and I do like VMWare quite a bit more.

Significant enough to call it "Miles ahead", I mean really. I liked VMWare some but I found VPC to be much more simple when I just had to get something working. VMWare is a horror for doing small things.

On the bright side, MS says they're going to put money into R&D to tighten up whatever is wrong with Virtual Server.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 10:45:48 pm »
I found VPC to be much more simple when I just had to get something working. VMWare is a horror for doing small things.

Details?  I've never had any issues with anything on VMWare, so I'm curious.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 11:24:33 pm »
Significant enough to call it "Miles ahead", I mean really. I liked VMWare some but I found VPC to be much more simple when I just had to get something working. VMWare is a horror for doing small things.

No it's not... VMWare is entirely simple.  I don't think it is complicated at all.  The way they've constructed the appliacation is really intuitive.

On the bright side, MS says they're going to put money into R&D to tighten up whatever is wrong with Virtual Server.

Of course they say that.  They have the funds and they may as well throw them in areas that can use improvement!

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 03:41:38 pm »
I found VPC to be much more simple when I just had to get something working. VMWare is a horror for doing small things.

Details?  I've never had any issues with anything on VMWare, so I'm curious.

For one, VMWare would hang repeatedly at the start of each VM whereas in VPC I could just create a VM profile and run.
I just found it easier for OSDeving and running any OS I needed. I found no considerable slowdown in using these OSes. If something works for me why the hell should I change it unless the gains are more than enough to warrant a change?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 03:52:13 pm »
For one, VMWare would hang repeatedly at the start of each VM whereas in VPC I could just create a VM profile and run.
I just found it easier for OSDeving and running any OS I needed. I found no considerable slowdown in using these OSes. If something works for me why the hell should I change it unless the gains are more than enough to warrant a change?
Nobody is asking you to change which virtual thingy you're using. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hang', but if you mean that it freezes up, then that's odd, since I've never had that issue.  Other than that, I haven't really seen any reasons why "VMWare is a horror for doing small things" -- I'm still curious what kinds of horrors you faced. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 05:10:01 pm »
Nobody is asking you to change which virtual thingy you're using. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hang', but if you mean that it freezes up, then that's odd, since I've never had that issue.  Other than that, I haven't really seen any reasons why "VMWare is a horror for doing small things" -- I'm still curious what kinds of horrors you faced. 

Didn't I just say which I faced? I'm not very attracted to having hangs while trying to do something as simple as run a small OS.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 05:20:41 pm »
Haha. My product didn't cost me $120 then die on me. *cough*VPC*cough*

VMware has yet to fail me. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 05:23:16 pm »
Didn't I just say which I faced? I'm not very attracted to having hangs while trying to do something as simple as run a small OS.
Then instead of being a jerk about it, why don't you be more specific?  "Hangs" can mean anything from delays (minor) to complete lock-ups.  I pointed that out in my other post:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hang', but if you mean that it freezes up, then that's odd, since I've never had that issue.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 05:32:42 pm »
Then instead of being a jerk about it, why don't you be more specific?  "Hangs" can mean anything from delays (minor) to complete lock-ups.  I pointed that out in my other post:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hang', but if you mean that it freezes up, then that's odd, since I've never had that issue.

I'm not being a jerk, I was pointing it out incase you missed it. Happens sometimes.

By hang I mean that it would freeze up for a while and even become non responsive and then it would start after maybe 15 seconds.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 11:05:39 pm »
VMware wasn't developed for Windows. I can almost promise on my life that Warrior is using Windows and iago using Slackware. Windows hangs, Slackware doesn't. Shocker.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 12:10:14 am »
VMware wasn't developed for Windows. I can almost promise on my life that Warrior is using Windows and iago using Slackware. Windows hangs, Slackware doesn't. Shocker.

Why would anyone make a virutal machine platform that is insupportive of the most prominent operating system on the planet?  VMWare hangs if the machine sucks... it's about as simple as that.  If you don't install VM Ware tools, any graphical interface is laggy.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 01:36:53 am »
Haha. My product didn't cost me $120 then die on me. *cough*VPC*cough*

VMware has yet to fail me. :)
I've used VPC and Virtual Server.  Neither cost me anything.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.