Author Topic: Backup script?  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Backup script?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 01:45:46 am »
Rofl, watching someone explain something to Joe that he obviously doesn't get is funnier when you aren't the one trying to do it  :P

We use ZenWorks at work which does pretty much the same thing as Ghost, but lets us boot from LAN and pull images from a Linux file server.  Pretty nifty, you can put the images on a dvd too with a small script that automates all of it.

There are some hacks you can use to allow Ghost to do that.  Since you're booting on MSDOS, you can use NetBUEI to map a network drive (which could presumeably be from a samba server), which Ghost will recognize and allow you to use.  We did that for all of the lab builds.  It allowed us to build three or four machines at a time without worrying too much about time or network resources.

My old boss switched over to WinInstall at the beginning of this year, which is way cooler than Ghost.  That was, however, assuming that it worked as well as AttachMate said it would!  It was giving both of us a headache during the summer.  I'm not sure how it's behaving now, but I'll ask him when I go to his house next weekend.