Author Topic: Interesting BIOS Configuration...  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Interesting BIOS Configuration...
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 12:13:09 am »
For some reason, I thought you used 2.6 on one of your computers.  I think your statement was much too broad to hold any sort of validity.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 12:19:00 am »
It was supposed to have someone attack me for using Vista. :P

I know overkill does (gentoo defaults to the 2.6 kernel) so eh?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 07:44:37 pm »
My setup is pretty freakin' weird. I have two hard-drives (Serial-ATA) and during BIOS booting, only one of them is recognized. When my main Linux drive is plugged into the primary SATA cable, and my Windows drive the secondary cable, apparently LILO can't see or recognize my Windows drive, because it refuses to boot it. However, if I boot Linux, it mounts my Windows drive like it was nothing.

If I switch their cables, Windows boots like a charm.

Thoughts?

I wrote a post about this on another forum some time ago ... except, it was with FreeBSD's bootloader and multiple harddrives.
You might notice if you install Windows and use the entire drive (or the remainder of the drive) that it leaves oh say 12 or so MB unpartitioned.  I am fairly certain this is Window's bootloader since, if you write over it, or it goes missing, Windows no longer boots.  To further corroborate this hypothesis, I have a Windows XP image from long ago.  I've dd'd it to the drive before and it has worked.  Now, I've also clobbered the entire drive and installed FreeBSD and then later decided to repartition the drive and it no longer worked thereafter.
My guess is that your harddrive is missing this (and probably, more specifically, your first harddrive is missing it).
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 08:04:25 pm »
My setup is pretty freakin' weird. I have two hard-drives (Serial-ATA) and during BIOS booting, only one of them is recognized. When my main Linux drive is plugged into the primary SATA cable, and my Windows drive the secondary cable, apparently LILO can't see or recognize my Windows drive, because it refuses to boot it. However, if I boot Linux, it mounts my Windows drive like it was nothing.

Thoughts?

I wrote a post about this on another forum some time ago ... except, it was with FreeBSD's bootloader and multiple harddrives.
You might notice if you install Windows and use the entire drive (or the remainder of the drive) that it leaves oh say 12 or so MB unpartitioned.  I am fairly certain this is Window's bootloader since, if you write over it, or it goes missing, Windows no longer boots.  To further corroborate this hypothesis, I have a Windows XP image from long ago.  I've dd'd it to the drive before and it has worked.  Now, I've also clobbered the entire drive and installed FreeBSD and then later decided to repartition the drive and it no longer worked thereafter.
My guess is that your harddrive is missing this (and probably, more specifically, your first harddrive is missing it).

IIRC, that extra 8* MB is in case you wanted to do some kind of change to the partition. I can't really remember exactly what it was, though.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 08:07:16 pm »

Thoughts?

IIRC, that extra 8* MB is in case you wanted to do some kind of change to the partition. I can't really remember exactly what it was, though.
Whatever it is, it seems to affect booting.  Newby, what you could also try is having the BIOS boot the specific harddrive Windows is installed on.
EDIT: Lilo, grub, FreeBSD bootloader, and so forth don't get along with multiple harddrives too often.  For example, you have to install the FreeBSD bootloader on the first harddrive, and a FreeBSD bootloader/standard bootloader on that actual drive FreeBSD is installed on.  Not sure what these bootloaders do if Windows is on any drive other than the first (I'm not even sure they'll get that right either!).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:12:10 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!