Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
PS2
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:08:02 pm »
Since my newest game-system is a N64, and it's in Winnipeg, I decided to buy a PS2.  I went to EB (which has always been good to me in Winnipeg) and picked up the system (comes with a controller), memory card, and 2 games (Hitman 2 and GTA: San Andreas -- why not get sequels to awesome games?), and it came to about $200. 

So now I can do something other than read in the evenings.  Woo!

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: PS2
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:16:10 pm »
200$ Canadian? :P
Seems like a bit too much when the ps3 is out

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:26:02 pm »
Hitman 2 was fun, but really hard if you're like me and like to shoot everything that moves.  GTA is, well, GTA. I've only played GTA 3 and Vice City, but those were awesome, and I heard San Andreas was even better.

I also want to get a PS2, but I need to wait to see how much everything else I need to get is going to cost.  :-\
errr... something like that...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:44:55 pm »
FFXII is awesome, and you should check out the Tales series.  Also, a Magic Slide+Swap Magic for all the burned/imported goodness.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:39:49 pm »

I don't think so. :\  That's around ~170 USD, which is pretty reasonable considering he got all he mentioned with it...

Hitman 2 was fun, but really hard if you're like me and like to shoot everything that moves.  GTA is, well, GTA. I've only played GTA 3 and Vice City, but those were awesome, and I heard San Andreas was even better.

I also want to get a PS2, but I need to wait to see how much everything else I need to get is going to cost.  :-\

Haha, yeah.  Hitman 2 is hard if you're not patient.  It's fun after you figure out how to do everything.  GTA is awesome.  It's nice to run over a few hookers after a stressful day.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 08:22:11 pm »
FFXII is awesome, and you should check out the Tales series.  Also, a Magic Slide+Swap Magic for all the burned/imported goodness.
The tales series is awesome.  Of course, I've only played Tales of Symphonia on my Gamecube. My brother has a PS2, and the games he would recommend are Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and Kingdom Hearts I and II.  He hated Final Fantasy XII, though.  :-\

trust

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 08:44:35 pm »
Dude I would have sold you my PS2 with more games, more controllers, and just pure awesomeness for way less than that.

Offline disco

• Comfortably Numb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 08:55:13 pm »
I'd recommend picking up Black.  Very awesome game.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:58:40 pm »
I'd recommend picking up Black.  Very awesome game.
Black is amazing. Oh god it's cool. I would also suggest the Prince of Persia games, they're all pretty fun.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:18:41 pm »
I'm iffy about getting FF games.  I liked FF4, 5, and 6, those were fun.  But I didn't like 8 much, 9 was ok but not that great, and I haven't really played 7.  But since they got 3d, I haven't been a fan. 

Hitmen 2 is pretty good.  I realized after buying it that it wasn't Hitmen 1 I liked, it was Hitmen 2.  I had Hitmen 2 on my computer back in the day, and enjoyed it.  But I never got far, something else came up.  And no, I don't generally shoot stuff, I like playing games where I don't have to shoot stuff, like Deus Ex.  I beat Deus Ex with maybe 10 - 20 kills, I only killed when it was necessary. 

What's Black like?  I mean, in terms of style.  It sounds familiar..

I looked at the back of a Dragon Quest game, but it looked too cartoony for me.  I don't think I'll like a whole lot of the 3d RPG's. 

What are the "Tales" games?  I've never heard of them. 

And I don't need burnt games, games are like $20 - $30 each now. 

Dude I would have sold you my PS2 with more games, more controllers, and just pure awesomeness for way less than that.
Yeah, but then I couldn't have spent all day playing.  Plus, I wanted to get a new one, used systems are too apt to break.  At least if this breaks I have a month of warranty. 

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 12:07:23 am »
I'm iffy about getting FF games.  I liked FF4, 5, and 6, those were fun.  But I didn't like 8 much, 9 was ok but not that great, and I haven't really played 7.  But since they got 3d, I haven't been a fan. 

Hitmen 2 is pretty good.  I realized after buying it that it wasn't Hitmen 1 I liked, it was Hitmen 2.  I had Hitmen 2 on my computer back in the day, and enjoyed it.  But I never got far, something else came up.  And no, I don't generally shoot stuff, I like playing games where I don't have to shoot stuff, like Deus Ex.  I beat Deus Ex with maybe 10 - 20 kills, I only killed when it was necessary. 

What's Black like?  I mean, in terms of style.  It sounds familiar..

I looked at the back of a Dragon Quest game, but it looked too cartoony for me.  I don't think I'll like a whole lot of the 3d RPG's. 

And I don't need burnt games, games are like $20 - $30 each now. 

Yeah, but then I couldn't have spent all day playing.  Plus, I wanted to get a new one, used systems are too apt to break.  At least if this breaks I have a month of warranty. 

Black is a First person shooter. It used to have like "The best combat simulation to date" I think. You can shoot out windows and have the people look at it, and you can bounce grenades off stuff, and as far as I could tell every thing was able to be broken. It was just really neet.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 01:30:03 am »
They're action RPG's.  When you go into battle, it performs somewhat like a fighting game.  You control one character and the AI controls the others.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 02:11:54 am »
But reading pwns.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:31:45 am »
The tales series is awesome.  Of course, I've only played Tales of Symphonia on my Gamecube. My brother has a PS2, and the games he would recommend are Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and Kingdom Hearts I and II.  He hated Final Fantasy XII, though.  :-\
How does he like X and not XII?  Your brother is a retard.  Anyway, I personally didn't like Dark Cloud or Kingdom Hearts, they were just annoying to play.

@iago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_%28role-playing_game_series%29
I also highly recommend the Resident Evil series, but only 1-4 and Code Veronica X.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
But reading pwns.
Yeah, but I was coming home from work at 4:30, picking up a book, reading till 10, and going to bed.  I just can't do that!

@iago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_%28role-playing_game_series%29
I also highly recommend the Resident Evil series, but only 1-4 and Code Veronica X.
I've played a couple Resident Evil games, I wasn't a big fan..

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 12:06:45 pm »
RE4 is just...oh my god.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 02:06:37 pm »
How does he like X and not XII?  Your brother is a retard.  Anyway, I personally didn't like Dark Cloud or Kingdom Hearts, they were just annoying to play.
The battle system just didn't click with him.  That in no way makes him a retard.  A lot of people hated the new battle system. Does that make him a retard? Not at all.  He's just not a rabbid fanboy of the logo Final Fantasy, but this in no way makes him any less intelligent.

I did play Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and I loved them.  I enjoyed building the cities exactly how they should be; I enjoyed the fighting system.  However, some would say the fighting system gets to be repetitive, but that's the same for nearly any RPG.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »
Dark Cloud 2 was fun, I agree.  FFXII seemed way different then FFX to me...

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 02:34:14 pm »
FFX was horrid.  It was far to easy and had a shit story.  Anyway, Tales battles never get old :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 02:47:01 pm »
FFX was horrid.  It was far to easy and had a shit story.  Anyway, Tales battles never get old :)

I liked FFX.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 03:42:04 pm »
I liked FFX.
You're a retard!!!!!!111oneoneoneshift+one!!!  :P

I tried getting into it, but I couldn't; I just didn't like the grid you moved around on to get skills and all that. The story was amazing, though (I watched my brother play a lot of it).  Of course, I'm not much of an RPG connoisseur; I do play a few, though. I just like some fast-paced frantic action on the screen.  If I get a good story, that's cool, too.

I'm not sure, but did you ever play Chrono Cross?  That game was just amazing.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 07:51:50 pm »
I almost beat Chrono Trigger, that was pretty good.  I got to a boss that takes over an hour to beat, and I kept dying towards the end, so after a couple tries (and a couple hours), I got sick of trying, and never went back. 

I've never actually played Chrono Cross, though -- how's it compare to Chrono Trigger?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 01:59:45 am »
I liked FFX.
You're a retard!!!!!!111oneoneoneshift+one!!!  :P

I tried getting into it, but I couldn't; I just didn't like the grid you moved around on to get skills and all that. The story was amazing, though (I watched my brother play a lot of it).  Of course, I'm not much of an RPG connoisseur; I do play a few, though. I just like some fast-paced frantic action on the screen.  If I get a good story, that's cool, too.

I'm not sure, but did you ever play Chrono Cross?  That game was just amazing.

Yeah, I thought the sphere grid sucked.  Materia (FF VII) was my favorite FF system.

Yes, I played Chrono Cross a little.  I didn't get into it, though.  I was a FF fanboy by then, I think.

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 02:22:13 pm »
I almost beat Chrono Trigger, that was pretty good. I got to a boss that takes over an hour to beat, and I kept dying towards the end, so after a couple tries (and a couple hours), I got sick of trying, and never went back.

I've never actually played Chrono Cross, though -- how's it compare to Chrono Trigger?
Chrono Cross's battle system is a bit more complex as opposed to Chrono Trigger's straight-forward one.  I personally love Chrono Trigger, but Cross I'm not so much a fan of.  :P
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 02:48:24 pm »
Chrono Cross's battle system is a bit more complex as opposed to Chrono Trigger's straight-forward one.  I personally love Chrono Trigger, but Cross I'm not so much a fan of.  :P
I actually loved the battle system.  You actually had to think rather than unleashing all your powerful moves over and over again.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 11:32:34 am »
Stop wasting your time and go buy guitar hero / guitar hero II. They're the only games I have for PS2, but nothing else would get played anyways. :)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 07:39:53 pm »
Stop wasting your time and go buy guitar hero / guitar hero II. They're the only games I have for PS2, but nothing else would get played anyways. :)

Did you just tell him to stop wasting his time so he could waste his time even more?! And by playing Guitar Hero, you're setting yourself up to have to unlearn bad habits in order to have to learn how to play a (real) guitar, which most every teenager does eventually learn. In fact, I'm almost tempted to pick a guitar up and learn some basics some day, but as you know my instrument of choice makes louder sound and gets hit harder.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 01:31:16 pm »
Did you just tell him to stop wasting his time so he could waste his time even more?! And by playing Guitar Hero, you're setting yourself up to have to unlearn bad habits in order to have to learn how to play a (real) guitar, which most every teenager does eventually learn. In fact, I'm almost tempted to pick a guitar up and learn some basics some day, but as you know my instrument of choice makes louder sound and gets hit harder.

I thought Hitmen played guitar?  If not, I doubt he cares about what you've just said.  It doesn't even make sense.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 01:38:54 pm »
I've been thinking of getting a PS2, but I can't decide.  :(

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 10:43:23 pm »

I don't think so. :\  That's around ~170 USD, which is pretty reasonable considering he got all he mentioned with it...

I saw an add today with the PS2 with 6 games for 169$$ :-/

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 11:29:46 pm »
I saw an add today with the PS2 with 6 games for 169$$ :-/

Which is about $200 CAD...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 03:05:04 am »
Which is what I paid for a *new* PS2 and 2 games.  So unless the games are really good, I prefer what I got.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »
This was at a store where they only sell new things... :P I don't remember the games so I can't argue that they were better