Author Topic: Sleeping mat company refuses to sell to soldiers  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping mat company refuses to sell to soldiers
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:34 pm »
That's not how the millitary gets its soldiers. Yeah, you're definately right for a few percent -- a few of them are going to risk their lives for their countries, but when the US isn't at war (five years ago or so), a high school graduate looks for career options but realizes he's broke and still wants to go to college. So, what do you do? Free military training and paid-for college, plus once you retire you get a check every month for the rest of your life allowing you an early retirement.. k, sounds good. And later, war, but you're in the military. As I said, a few joined to defend their country to the death, but I doubt anyone joined in 2000 saying "Osama bin Laden is going to bomb us next year and I'm going to kick his ass."

You're a moron. If you join the military and don't realize you're going to go on active duty for your country, you truly are a moron.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 12:09:03 am »
Before I even went to read your reply I knew this is what you were going to say. The fact is these men in Iraq volunteered to defend this country, either directly or indirectly. This company is disrespecting the very means that allows them to freely trade their goods and live happy and free lives. They are a disgrace. It's not relevant if they have a differing opinion of the war, the fact is they are disrespecting a United States soldier.

That's not how the millitary gets its soldiers. Yeah, you're definately right for a few percent -- a few of them are going to risk their lives for their countries, but when the US isn't at war (five years ago or so), a high school graduate looks for career options but realizes he's broke and still wants to go to college. So, what do you do? Free military training and paid-for college, plus once you retire you get a check every month for the rest of your life allowing you an early retirement.. k, sounds good. And later, war, but you're in the military. As I said, a few joined to defend their country to the death, but I doubt anyone joined in 2000 saying "Osama bin Laden is going to bomb us next year and I'm going to kick his ass."
I agree with Newby you ignorant fuck.
To get the GI Bill I *think* you only need to serve 4 years active duty.  So basically, most of our military should be done and out now?  What about the older people who keep in? 
As far as good benefits?  Yeah, why shouldn't they get it for putting their lives on the line for people like you?  They could've done other things...they chose not to, and it isnt because they're stupid, there are many highly educated people in the armed services.

isnt it freedom for the rest of us to voice our opinions to them, be it by mail, email, mass internet uproar, or what have you?

AFAIK Canada doesn't recognize the American constitution in governing it's internet services, and even if it did recognize American laws and whatnot, iago could still say you're tresspassing his property (not necessarily land) by using these forums for posting things like this -- which I have no objection to personally, but he could.
you cant trespass on the internet dumbass  ::)
If you're going to try to attack me please don't make yourself look so stupid, it makes me laugh entirely too hard.

trust

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:13 am »

Regardless of if they were trying to take advantage of the government or not, every person that signs up knows that military conflict is a possibility in that line of work and knows the consequences of that. So, yes, they volunteered for this.

@iago: The company has the right to refuse them business like you said, but it's in very poor taste - especially the way they responded. In the end the company will lose massive amounts of business due to horrible PR and it will go under. The soldiers still get their mats, so the world is good.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 08:30:40 am »
@iago: The company has the right to refuse them business like you said, but it's in very poor taste - especially the way they responded. In the end the company will lose massive amounts of business due to horrible PR and it will go under. The soldiers still get their mats, so the world is good.
You're right, it's in poor taste, but that's up to them. 

I don't know if they'll lose business for this, though -- there's an old saying "there's no such thing as 'bad publicity'", which basically means that, because of this, there are going to be a lot of people who've heard of this company who wouldn't have otherwise.  They may anger a lot of people, but at the same time they're getting a TON of free publicity. 

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 10:04:29 am »
They're dirtbags, end of story. You refuse to sell products to those that are protecting your very country? Get the fuck out of the country then.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 11:15:06 am »

Regardless of if they were trying to take advantage of the government or not, every person that signs up knows that military conflict is a possibility in that line of work and knows the consequences of that. So, yes, they volunteered for this.

Yeah, but how high of a chance? Back in 2000 they probably said "We haven't fought a war since Vietnam (or was Korea later? oh well), it'll hold for another few years".
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 11:17:32 am »
Eh... So much name calling.  Grow up people.  Learn how to express your views without calling people names.

I believe that it is the companies right to do this, but I disagree with the reasoning.  I think they should pull their heads out of their ass and help out people who are trying to defend the country and freedoms that they are taking advantage of.  They only have this right because of the way our government is ran.  Without the freedoms we have today, they wouldn't be able to do this.  And as such, if they like these freedoms, they should support the troops that are defending these freedoms.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 02:04:54 pm »
Yeah, but how high of a chance? Back in 2000 they probably said "We haven't fought a war since Vietnam (or was Korea later? oh well), it'll hold for another few years".
...*sigh*

There was the hostage crisis in Iran, stuff in Lebanon, Persian Gulf, Somalia, Yugoslavia, and Iraq (under Clinton)...possibly more...that's just what I found really quick.
Those were all military conflicts.

trust

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 02:30:52 pm »
I don't know if they'll lose business for this, though -- there's an old saying "there's no such thing as 'bad publicity'", which basically means that, because of this, there are going to be a lot of people who've heard of this company who wouldn't have otherwise.  They may anger a lot of people, but at the same time they're getting a TON of free publicity. 

There's also another old saying. "Stores are in business to make money, and if you've got money..they want your business."

Any self respecting American will boycot this company.

Except for, you know, the Gulf War.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 03:18:32 pm »

Korea was 60-62, Vietnam was 60-something to 75, and you're completely forgetting the First Iraq War (aka Desert Storm).