Author Topic: 300  (Read 7776 times)

Offline l)a-Sniper

• View Profile
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:36:39 am »
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/

I really wanna see that movie, looks good.
What about you guys?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 11:37:43 am »
I generally don't like these kinds of movies (I'm more into futuristic sci-fi/thrillers), but this looks pretty good.  I'm probably going to go see it when it comes out.

trust

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 02:57:05 pm »
I've been waiting for this forever, I love this time period.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:20:17 pm »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:15:57 am »
This movie is simply the greatest movie I have ever seen.  I liked it a lot more than Lord of the Rings--and Lord of the Rings (ROTK) was my favorite movie until now.  This movie has all of the good things.  It's very graphic--don't go with someone queasy, as it will spoil the experience.  I went to what I thought was an obscure theater that turned out to be magnificent.  Soft, reclining chairs are the way to go.

About the movie itself:  It has really good acting.  It's got a bit of nudity (I don't remember any in the graphic novel.. go figure).  And it's got the BEST visuals I have EVER seen.  First of all: real visuals.  Every single male cast member that was in the 300 men of Sparta is insanely cut.  They are literally brimming with muscles.  It's the kind of stuff that makes other men go "Holy shit."  And then there are the absolutely stunning graphics.  The way the blood shoots out of people; the way the spears react with the environment and the flesh of the people they're going through; the way the scenery is.  I have never, prior to watching this movie, thought I would have encountered such a beautiful use of graphics.  LOTR was good, there's no doubt about it.  This blows the shit out of LOTR.  The battles of Pelennor and Minas Tirith?  Nothing in comparison to even half a scene of action in this movie.

I really strongly recommend anyone with a bloodlust for the one good movie Hollywood will release in the next decade to go see 300 as soon as possible.  Try and see it in Imax.  I was supposed to go to an Imax theater and watch it but I couldn't because it was sold out and I encountered major traffic.  Even in the right regular theater it's still damn fine.  The audio is perfect to match the visuals (that were shot in front of blue/green screens for the most part).
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:50:08 am »
I just watched it, and I liked it a lot. It was stunning. I noticed a few things tha I was thinking about after the movie, but nothing more than the usuall things. One thing I thought was "Where did they get the food from?" I mean, the only food shown is an apple. It's not a problem, but it's just an odd thought. Any way, I loved it.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:00:16 pm »
Yeah, it was freaking awesome.  I saw it with my friends in an IMAX threatre.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 10:31:54 pm »
I just watched it, and I liked it a lot. It was stunning. I noticed a few things tha I was thinking about after the movie, but nothing more than the usuall things. One thing I thought was "Where did they get the food from?" I mean, the only food shown is an apple. It's not a problem, but it's just an odd thought. Any way, I loved it.
The apple scene was a bit odd, but it's not hard to imagine that some soldiers would be carrying provisions with them that they haven't eaten.

I was gonna see it in IMAX. :(  Spiderman 3 I will most definitely see in IMAX with friends, though.  And it's the week or so after my SAT Subject Tests, so that'll be sweet.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 12:42:56 am »
The apple scene was a bit odd, but it's not hard to imagine that some soldiers would be carrying provisions with them that they haven't eaten.
The apple scene was alright. It (in my opinion) was just trying to show the persians that he was jaded enough at death that he could stomache food. But, like I was thinking, it's just some scenes that are lacking in every film. (Like, how did they keep getting more spears?) It's nothing much to worry about, but it was cool none the less.

I sort of wonder if this film had any scenes that were deleted, or edited out for time that would make some more things connect.  (e.g. food, spears, etc.) I can't wait to buy this movie. It'll rock++ even more! :D

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 11:00:45 am »

I was gonna see it in IMAX. :(  Spiderman 3 I will most definitely see in IMAX with friends, though.  And it's the week or so after my SAT Subject Tests, so that'll be sweet.
Why didn't you end up seeing it in IMAX?  I will hopefully go again with friends to see Spiderman 3 in IMAX, too.  It looks good.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 05:02:06 pm »
The apple scene was alright. It (in my opinion) was just trying to show the persians that he was jaded enough at death that he could stomache food. But, like I was thinking, it's just some scenes that are lacking in every film. (Like, how did they keep getting more spears?) It's nothing much to worry about, but it was cool none the less.

I sort of wonder if this film had any scenes that were deleted, or edited out for time that would make some more things connect.  (e.g. food, spears, etc.) I can't wait to buy this movie. It'll rock++ even more! :D
Yeah, I never thought of it like that.  I'm pretty sure that scene wasn't in the Frank Miller graphic novel, but it's been a while since I've read it.  That sounds like a very logical explanation, though.
Also, you *can* reuse spears, and many of the people they killed were carrying spears that they never got a chance to use because Leonidas and his men killed them too quickly.

Yeah, there were definitely scenes left out.  Some of it flowed very well together, other parts didn't.

Why didn't you end up seeing it in IMAX?  I will hopefully go again with friends to see Spiderman 3 in IMAX, too.  It looks good.
Sold out. :\

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:31 pm »

Yeah, I never thought of it like that.  I'm pretty sure that scene wasn't in the Frank Miller graphic novel, but it's been a while since I've read it.  That sounds like a very logical explanation, though.
Also, you *can* reuse spears, and many of the people they killed were carrying spears that they never got a chance to use because Leonidas and his men killed them too quickly.

Yeah, there were definitely scenes left out.  Some of it flowed very well together, other parts didn't.

That's what I passed it off as. But, like in that scene where they are getting the Persians a "drink," Leonidas' sword is out,  then he has a spear in the next scene. Also, I was thinking about if they killed the people via throwing it, and they fell off the edge, or something.
But yeah.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 09:08:10 pm »
I'm going to go see it in a few hours! ;D

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 09:12:44 pm »
Cool!! Me too!
I'm going to see it again at 7 tonight! (one hour)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 12:10:40 am »
You'll love it!

Cool!! Me too!
It was a good movie.. but I don't know if it's worth seeing twice in a normal theater.  The theater I went to (juts to reiterate :P) had speakers on very loud.  Every time the armies marched you could FEEL the bass vibrate the theater.  It was freaking awesome, but it kinda makes your head hurt.  Also, the video was.. all right.  Good audio definitely helped, though.  Either see it in IMAX or save your money, IMO. (obviously it's redundant to say this since you've already left.. but I felt like responding).

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 12:26:59 am »
The closest IMAX theater to me is about and hour or 2 away. :-/
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 12:55:55 am »
Wow, this movie was extraordinary.  I'll agree with deadly in saying its easily one of the best movies that I have ever seen.  I saw it with my parents which made it a little awkward, that didn't keep me from enjoying it!

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 02:03:09 am »
You'll love it!

Cool!! Me too!
It was a good movie.. but I don't know if it's worth seeing twice in a normal theater.  The theater I went to (juts to reiterate :P) had speakers on very loud.  Every time the armies marched you could FEEL the bass vibrate the theater.  It was freaking awesome, but it kinda makes your head hurt.  Also, the video was.. all right.  Good audio definitely helped, though.  Either see it in IMAX or save your money, IMO. (obviously it's redundant to say this since you've already left.. but I felt like responding).
I went with a friend that hadn't seen it yet. It was still good the second time, but not as amazing. Although, I did get a chance to watch it for some more weird error things, and stuff, I enjoy that.

One thing I noticed was when Leonidus' friend's son had his head cut off by the dude on the horse, where does the horse and the rider go? (possible spoilers. What ever. Better safe than sorry, right?)

And also it gave me time to think and compair between movies. Like you were compairing it between LOTR and saying this is better. I agree, but I don't think that it's better cinematography. I mean, they greenscreened a lot of that, were as LOTR went out and found a set to film it on, and had the variables of many things. So, I think that that's got this beat in that sence. But, still better.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 04:20:44 pm »
The closest IMAX theater to me is about and hour or 2 away. :-/
Yeah, it's about a 45 minute drive for me.  Add in the fact that there was about half an hour of delays and stuff that day and it was bad.

Wow, this movie was extraordinary.  I'll agree with deadly in saying its easily one of the best movies that I have ever seen.  I saw it with my parents which made it a little awkward, that didn't keep me from enjoying it!
I'm sure the sex scenes were very uncomfortable...

I went with a friend that hadn't seen it yet. It was still good the second time, but not as amazing. Although, I did get a chance to watch it for some more weird error things, and stuff, I enjoy that.

One thing I noticed was when Leonidus' friend's son had his head cut off by the dude on the horse, where does the horse and the rider go? (possible spoilers. What ever. Better safe than sorry, right?)

And also it gave me time to think and compair between movies. Like you were compairing it between LOTR and saying this is better. I agree, but I don't think that it's better cinematography. I mean, they greenscreened a lot of that, were as LOTR went out and found a set to film it on, and had the variables of many things. So, I think that that's got this beat in that sence. But, still better.
I imagined it would be enjoyable, but obviously not as breathtaking.  I'm wondering what the experience would be like going from regular movie theater to IMAX, though.

In answer to that question, I believe that Leonidas' friend kills him.  If I remember correctly, he breaks ranks and goes out there and avenges his son and then brings the body back.

Yeah.  It would be hard to film something like this on location, in my opinion.  Some of the scenes are very do-able, yes, but others are just impossible.  Lord of the Rings was different because Tolkien had at least provided some pictures of what he thought it should look like.  Other than the rather poor descriptions of the battle site, I'm not sure if the makers of 300 had much more to go on.  Sure, they were following Frank Miller's graphic novel, but the movie wasn't just his comic book, per say.  Also, Lord of the Rings had a MUCH larger budget than this movie did, which basically meant more set designers, more costumer designers, better graphics people (a lot of the graphics were integrated into the movie so that it took a keen eye to differentiate between graphics/real movie).  Also, Lord of the Rings was a whole story that encompassed years (the actual story, not filming time or anything) so it would be easier to build off that than off of one battle that lasted a few months.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 09:57:55 pm »
I'm sure the sex scenes were very uncomfortable...
I saw it with my dad, and they sure did... lol. That is one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 11:38:24 pm »
Uhh, this was a good movie to pass time. I'm really not seeing what all the hype is about, but it's definately worth a watch, especially if you don't have to pay for it. I do have one question though:  Why is half the movie in slow motion?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 12:04:22 am »
Uhh, this was a good movie to pass time. I'm really not seeing what all the hype is about, but it's definately worth a watch, especially if you don't have to pay for it. I do have one question though:  Why is half the movie in slow motion?
Visual effects.  It allows for a cooler fight sequence if part of it turns into slow-mo as someone's being stabbed or what have you.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 12:09:52 am »
Visual effects.  It allows for a cooler fight sequence if part of it turns into slow-mo as someone's being stabbed or what have you.
That is a much more literal answer than I was looking for.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 12:48:01 am »

Finally! A review where the author didn't achieve an orgasm while writing about it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 01:11:04 am »
The dirrector and cinematographer said (I saw it on T.V.; it must be true!) that "[He] think[ s  ] that people who would have been so highly trained would have had time seem like it was slowing down when engaged in combat."

Also, then they can film less and have it take longer. :)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 11:42:16 pm »
I just watched it, and I cannot count it as one of the best movies I've seen.  It's really slightly above average in my book.
errr... something like that...

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 12:42:30 am »
I just watched it, and I cannot count it as one of the best movies I've seen.  It's really slightly above average in my book.

its really good fight wise. i loved how all of them banded together with the shield stuff O man  :o. but acting wise and story line wise wasn't very good.
Spoiler...............
The King guy didn't even die i mean come on.. They were in their shield hut and the main guy took off all hist stuff for one shot then woosh....
O and is the guy with one eye the narrator guy?

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 01:24:57 am »
There's no doubt that the fights kicked ass, acting was passable, but the rest was iffy.

There were a few things that did annoy me.  For example, there were a few parts of dialog that just didn't feel right (ie., Leonidas: Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell!). Also, I just hated the artistic style of the movie; it was way too washed out for me. Before everyone says, "But dark_drake, it's based on a comic book/graphic novel," I remind you that so was Spiderman and X-Men (Yes, I realize that they're 2 completely different types of stories. I just wanted to demonstrate that just because it's based on a comic doesn't mean it has to be washed out).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 02:00:41 am »
The King guy didn't even die i mean come on.. They were in their shield hut and the main guy took off all hist stuff for one shot then woosh....
O and is the guy with one eye the narrator guy?

Xerxes?  I think that was their attempt to be historically accurate.  That wasn't their aim, but making something that profoundly incorrect would completely spoil the movie for anyone who knew the real story.  Leonidas said earlier in the movie "[...] And before this battle is over, they will know that even a God King can bleed."  He did exactly that.

Leonidas: Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell

I think you might find this page amusing.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 09:44:55 am »
I think you might find this page amusing.
ROFL.  So fucking hilarious.  Great way to start the day. :P

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 12:08:48 pm »
Xerxes?  I think that was their attempt to be historically accurate.  That wasn't their aim, but making something that profoundly incorrect would completely spoil the movie for anyone who knew the real story.  Leonidas said earlier in the movie "[...] And before this battle is over, they will know that even a God King can bleed."  He did exactly that.
That also annoyed me.  Wouldn't he have bled when he was getting all those piercings?  :-\

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 01:36:43 pm »

well i wanted to see his guts fall out

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 01:37:30 am »
That also annoyed me.  Wouldn't he have bled when he was getting all those piercings?  :-\

I don't think that he meant "bleed" in a literal sense, though that's what was achieved by the end of the movie.  His goal was to prove to Xerxes that he wasn't the immortal ruler of the earth and that he didn't have the right to induce tyranny and war in otherwise peaceful nations.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 02:05:39 am »
I don't think that he meant "bleed" in a literal sense, though that's what was achieved by the end of the movie.  His goal was to prove to Xerxes that he wasn't the immortal ruler of the earth and that he didn't have the right to induce tyranny and war in otherwise peaceful nations.
Pft... that's what they want you to think. :P

Maybe Xerxes did all the piercings himself, and his people never saw him bleed, so they thought he was invincible. Yeah, that's it.  ;D