Author Topic: The Prestige  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
The Prestige
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:04:30 am »
Incredible movie. The only real complaint I have is that you couldn't understand parts of the dialect due to it's heavy European accent.

This movie blows The Illusionist away.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: The Prestige
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:09:51 am »
Oh, damn it!  It forgot to post after watching this movie a few weeks ago.  I agree; it's a fantastic movie.  Any movie that to some degree accurately portrays Nikola Tesla is awesome.

Offline rabbit

• I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:09:44 am »
No.  Just no.  I fucking hated this movie.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:29:14 am »
::)

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 03:39:41 pm »
spoilers

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:41:16 pm »
It was fine until Douchebag McICan'tDoMagicAsWellAsThisOtherGuy went to Tesla and got the cloning machine bs.  Also, the part where Retard McFuckhead had a twin brother the entire time that he didn't tell his co-workers, friends, or wife about, but did tell the assisstantwhore about.  Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:15:43 pm »
It was fine until Douchebag McICan'tDoMagicAsWellAsThisOtherGuy went to Tesla and got the cloning machine bs.  Also, the part where Retard McFuckhead had a twin brother the entire time that he didn't tell his co-workers, friends, or wife about, but did tell the assisstantwhore about.  Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

I liked all of those parts. :P

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:22:26 pm »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:39:51 pm »
Meh, that was the third page back. :-/
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:43 pm »
The Movie was friggen awesome but it took me like 10 minutes after the film to realize what the hell happened.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 03:00:43 pm »
I have mixed feelings about this movie. I feel that it could have been a really good movie but the screenplay is very sloppy because the plot has no plausibility. A cloning and teleportation machine around the start of the 20th century?! Sure, Tesla did propose some crazy inventions in his lifetime, but none of them were actually invented.

Anyways, I think the idea of Borden having a twin was brilliant. The foreshadowing was very well-done and consistent. All that they needed to do was to come up with some PLAUSIBLE trick that could have enabled Angier to do the Transported Man. Then the movie would have been sound. (Well, there are other inaccuracies, such as the fact that IIRC the magicians wore the same disguise every time, but I won't get into that.) The movie reminds me of the Inside Man, except for the fact that the plot is not at all sound.

I think the directing and the acting was great. The non-linear plot really worked IMO. The rivalry between the magicians and the characterization of the two men and their loved ones were really well done.

What I don't like is the plot hinges on glaring inaccuracies. Such as magic. I mean the cloning machine and the teleportation and all those absurdities. You can't do that in this kind of movie. You can do that in Pan's Labyrinth, but not in this kind of movie. In Pan's Labyrinth there's a tacit agreement at the very start between the viewer and the director that magic is a-okay. But not in this movie.

Furthermore, I think the portrayal of Tesla was only mediocre. They made him into a symbol, not the man himself.

Summary: Compelling, but a disappointment. Lots of potential, but not enough follow-through. Sloppy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:02:33 pm by Ender »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 01:53:06 pm »
Oh, damn it!  It forgot to post after watching this movie a few weeks ago.  I agree; it's a fantastic movie.  Any movie that to some degree accurately portrays Nikola Tesla is awesome.
I disliked this movie for multiple reasons, one of which is the opposite of why you liked it :/

1.  They used the same twist too many times and it got annoying.
2.  They constantly switch back and forth between who they want you to think is the bad guy.  Maybe some people think thats a good thing, but I don't.  Either make me impartial or give me a clear shot/single turn.
3.  They portray both Tesla and Edison overly-negatively.  Both men were geniuses and the movie made them look like crackpots and gangsters (respectively).
4.  The amazing act of transporting a man across the room was something the audience was far too quick to accept when they knew how he was tricking them with the 'across-the-stage' gimmick.  I wasn't impressed by this climatic sequence at all :/

I almost always enjoy watching movies because I don't watch that many but this one really got on my nerves.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 01:32:37 am »
It was just... okay.  I feel like it was hyped up way too much.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 01:35:15 am »
3.  They portray both Tesla and Edison overly-negatively.  Both men were geniuses and the movie made them look like crackpots and gangsters (respectively).

Yeah, they took the rivalry a bit too far.

I don't think the movie made Tesla seem anymore a crackpot than he really was (other than the obvious silly things that were in the nature of the movie).  He proposed some pretty wacky inventions.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:51:34 am »
The movie made tesla look like a mad scientist/magician half-breed that didn't do anything other than sit in his lab and talk to himself. -_-

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 01:10:54 pm »
The movie made tesla look like a mad scientist/magician half-breed that didn't do anything other than sit in his lab and talk to himself. -_-

Haha, yeah.  That's pretty true.  After he made the machine, it seemed he had no idea what was going on.  I still liked it, though. :p