Author Topic: Linux Network question  (Read 2302 times)

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Linux Network question
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:27:20 pm »
Evening, gents. I'm installing Slackware 10.2 on a PC and I've run into a strange network problem. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Some background: It's an ethernet network. When I plug the exact same cable into my Windows computer, it works fine. It's a standard DHCP network with a Linksys router. It's a fresh install of Linux. When I lspci, I can see my ethernet card. The loopback device is setup and I can ping localhost. I have run netconfig, setting the interface as DHCP. I can use ifconfig to bring the interface up.

The problem: I can't seem to get dhcpcd to grab a network address. I cannot ping any other nodes on the network (including the gateway). I have setup dhcpcd to dump output to syslog, and when I inspect my dhcpcd.log there is one message along the lines of: "dhcpcd timed out awaiting response".

Ideas?

Thanks in advance
tmp

« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:08:54 am by mynameistmp »

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Network question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:33:15 pm »
I had a problem with my router not assigning address to computers without a NetBIOS name? My solution was to boot Windows to get an IP, but I'm sure there's a better way.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology