Author Topic: Bass guitar!  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Bass guitar!
« on: April 14, 2007, 02:38:21 am »
I'm now bi-instrumental. Damn that sounds gross. Anywho, I called up my friend Tory (another name, haha bitches!) yesterday and I was like "Are you busy? No, why? Drive me to the music store." So, I bought a Cort bass for $149.95, a Fender 15-watt amp for $79.95, and a little cable for like $6.

Tonight (technically, this morning, but who gives a damn?) I took it upon myself to make it worth the purchase. As such, I learned the main riff of Some Kind of Monster.

G: 0 0 0 3 5 0 - 0 3 5 0 3 5 0 3 5

^_^!

Also, I tried playing Pulling Teeth just for the hell of it. Someone send me a Wah pedal and some bass skills (literally send me your skills, I need them). I sucked at it, hardcore. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Bass guitar!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:55:59 am »
You ought to talk to Chromium Bass.  He said some famous bassist was coming here in a few weeks or something.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:00:13 pm »
and I was like "Are you busy? No, why? Drive me to the music store."
Do you always answer yourself?

Offline Chromium Bass

• Giggity Giggity Goo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 01:48:40 pm »
Joe I could play that on my wang  :D

Here's something you can work on, It's pretty easy so shouldn't take you long (It's one of my own)
(I've customized mine to be a 4 string but is in B natural tuning)
D|-----2---------------
A|--------------7-77---
E|-753----3-5----------
B|---------------------

sss  p   s  s   p ss  (s = slap, p = pull)  and that all is done in 1 4/4 measure (Tempo 205)

[iago edit: pre is your friend]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 05:13:42 pm by iago »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:20:12 pm »
WOW U R SO TALENTED OMG. I BET U CAN DO INTRO 2 FOR WHOM DA BELL TOLLZ YO.

Stick to one instrument:

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one." <-- last part = BS. :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 05:22:05 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:27:27 am »
So Newby, you quoted a quote that disagrees with your point, and then told me to stick to one instrument, overlooking the fact that basses are looked on as "toys" by some people because of how easy they are to play? Really convincing argument. :)

By the way, I looked up For Whom The Bell Tolls, starrted to play a bit of it, and it's pretty easy. I had a bit of trouble reaching such high frets, and I'm sort of slow, but it'd be easy if this weren't my third day playing the instrument.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 04:05:53 am »
So Newby, you quoted a quote that disagrees with your point, and then told me to stick to one instrument, overlooking the fact that basses are looked on as "toys" by some people because of how easy they are to play? Really convincing argument. :)
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one." <-- last part = BS. :P
Reading rules!!!  :P
errr... something like that...

Offline Chromium Bass

• Giggity Giggity Goo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 05:41:56 am »
overlooking the fact that basses are looked on as "toys" by some people because of how easy they are to play?

I have now lost any and all respect for you, clearly you don't know the true essence of what playing bass means and that right there says you should stop because you do not have the tenacity to do anything worth while.  You clearly do not understand the structure, commitment, and mechanics even of playing.

But still the bottom line is, by saying that line I clearly doubt your ability to ever be adequate.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 05:47:08 am »
Heh, I have to agree that saying something is trivial after only messing around with it for a few days is pretty vacuous.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 10:36:40 pm »
Reading rules!!!  :P

I read that. I'm just saying that his quote disagreed with his point.

I have now lost any and all respect for you, clearly you don't know the true essence of what playing bass means and that right there says you should stop because you do not have the tenacity to do anything worth while.  You clearly do not understand the structure, commitment, and mechanics even of playing.

But still the bottom line is, by saying that line I clearly doubt your ability to ever be adequate.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that bass is a toy, I meant to say that some musicians look down on it because too many bassists do mediocre jobs at playing it, just repeating two measures over and over throughout the entire song. Do you know who Cliff Burton is? By no means do I think bass is a "toy".

I'm going to go with the quote "bass is an easy instrument to learn but difficult to master" here. Cliff mastered it, I'm still in the process of learning it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 01:55:37 am »
::)

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 03:09:25 am »
Creeping Death is pretty easy too. I don't like the first half of the main riff though.. it sounds like it's going way down at the end and I can't hear that in the song. Maybe he tabbed it wrong? But either way, I can play it just fine (it just makes me die a bit inside every time I do).

What's really cool about this is I can randomly call my friend Jake at like 3AM and be like "HEY DUDE LISTEN TO THIS", pretending it's a big deal, and he's like "Wow that's sweet!" Hehe.

EDIT -
Figured it out. You don't hear the last D-0 because you immediately overlap it with the next E-0. I like it now. ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:27:10 pm by Joe[x86/64] »