Author Topic: I'm stuck with a problem.  (Read 5018 times)

Offline abc

• View Profile
I'm stuck with a problem.
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:41:59 pm »
 ???
Ok, I have a computer in my bedroom which had Windows XP on it, I formatted my HDD, and put Fedora Core on it, (for any of you that don't know what Fedora is it's a Linux distribution). Anyways, I decided I don't want Fedora on my computer anymore, due to internet issues and such, so I changed my BIOS to boot to CD-ROM and inserted my Windows XP CD, and I see "Press a key to boot from CD." So I do, then I see "Checking hardware configuration." and it goes to a blank screen, and stays there. I have no idea what I should do.... I know it's my hard drive because I have a smaller HDD like... > 8 GB I think, in which it gets passed the "Checking Hardware Configuration"...

I hope you guys understand this, and my problem.
~ Thanks!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: I'm stuck with a problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:16:51 pm »
You have to change your BIOS to boot to a CD ROM?  Shouldn't it do that naturally if there's a bootable CD in the drive or was it messed up?

In any case, have you tried deleting all of the partitions off of the hard drive before running XP setup (boot to a live disk and run cfdisk)?

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 10:07:33 pm »
You have to change your BIOS to boot to a CD ROM?  Shouldn't it do that naturally if there's a bootable CD in the drive or was it messed up?

In any case, have you tried deleting all of the partitions off of the hard drive before running XP setup (boot to a live disk and run cfdisk)?

Nah, I had my BIOS setup to boot to HDD, and it boots to Fedora fine, but I don't want it anymore -.-

Um, I'm new to the Linux environment, could you explain deeply?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:32:27 pm »
Boot into a LiveCD of Linux, run cfdisk, and nuke the drives.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 04:12:03 am »
Low-level format.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 01:49:14 pm »
Low-level format.

You should probably elaborate before you recommend something like that. :P

Important drive information (servo, sector layout, and defect management, etc.) is stored in the low-level format at the factory. This information is designed to last the life of the drive and therefore it is not possible to low level the drive outside the factory. Although some drive manufactures and BIOS provided so-called "low level format utilities", they actually perform a write-read verify of the drive’s user data sectors, and do not actually perform a low-level format. In the event of a corrupted master boot record or boot block virus, use FDISK /MBR command to restore the master boot record. If you need to low level format your hard drive then check the drive manufacturer and download such an utility from its website. Every drive manufacturer provides just such a utility. Below is a list of hard drive manufacturers with a links to low level format utilities.

Note: If normal (high level) hard disk formatting is required, you can use DOS FDISK command to first erase and create partitions and then use FORMAT. It is also a good idea when you hard disk becomes inaccessible to see if it is just the system files that are corrupted. Most of the time, it is the case. SYS will do the job of replacing system files. Therefore, low level format is always of LAST RESORT when you encounter HDD problems.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:53:56 pm »
Low-level format.

You should probably elaborate before you recommend something like that. :P

Important drive information (servo, sector layout, and defect management, etc.) is stored in the low-level format at the factory. This information is designed to last the life of the drive and therefore it is not possible to low level the drive outside the factory. Although some drive manufactures and BIOS provided so-called "low level format utilities", they actually perform a write-read verify of the drive’s user data sectors, and do not actually perform a low-level format. In the event of a corrupted master boot record or boot block virus, use FDISK /MBR command to restore the master boot record. If you need to low level format your hard drive then check the drive manufacturer and download such an utility from its website. Every drive manufacturer provides just such a utility. Below is a list of hard drive manufacturers with a links to low level format utilities.

Note: If normal (high level) hard disk formatting is required, you can use DOS FDISK command to first erase and create partitions and then use FORMAT. It is also a good idea when you hard disk becomes inaccessible to see if it is just the system files that are corrupted. Most of the time, it is the case. SYS will do the job of replacing system files. Therefore, low level format is always of LAST RESORT when you encounter HDD problems.

lol. You can't even truly low level format your drive. :'(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 04:24:35 pm »
Er, I still can't get it to work.

Remember dude, I'm completely new to Linux and everything....

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:27:04 pm »

Remember dude, I'm completely new to Linux and everything....
Right... Boot a LiveCD of Linux. Type in cfdisk. Hit 'Delete' on all the partitions. Hit 'Write'. Hit 'Quit'. Reboot.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:50 am »
Worked, Yay!  :D Now I need to get Windows 98 so I can upgrade to XP -.-

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 07:47:59 am »
Low-level formatting would have done that with a large chance of fucking it all up! Boo..
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:09:30 pm »
Ugh...

Glad to hear it worked, dl.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:18 pm »

Wrong.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:58:30 pm by Killer360 »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 08:04:28 pm »

Wrong.

Why?  It's not a new feature?  Is your computer ancient or something?

There's normally a boot priority.  You can leave it in any order you want.  Mine is usually something like Floppy => CD ROM => Hard Drive...

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 08:20:11 pm »

Wrong.

Why?  It's not a new feature?  Is your computer ancient or something?

There's normally a boot priority.  You can leave it in any order you want.  Mine is usually something like Floppy => CD ROM => Hard Drive...

No, usually it's Removable, Hard drive, then CD.