Author Topic: Infect the Mac for Cash~  (Read 3232 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Infect the Mac for Cash~
« on: March 26, 2005, 03:41:36 pm »
I found this from MacDailyNews, and thought it interesting.

http://www.dvforge.com/virus.shtml

In essence DVForge is running a competition where two powermac G5s are connected to the net with no security other than out of the box installs. If you can demonstrate you've infected them both with a virus you win $25k.

Or $50k if you're a an employee of symantec.

dana

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Infect the Mac for Cash~
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 03:51:13 pm »
We should do it. Get someone who knows things about Mac (Kane? :p) and lets do it.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 03:58:36 pm »
Aww, it got cancelled :(

"In response to the statements put forth this past week by Symantec Corporation suggesting that Mac users are at substantial risk to infections from viruses, our company crafted and announced a contest that would have paid a $25,000 prize for the successful creation of such a virus," said Jack Campbell, DVForge, Inc. CEO, "During the first several hours after making the public announcement, I was contacted by a large number of Mac users, and Mac software professionals who shared their thinking with me about the contest. A few of these people are extremely well-regarded experts in the field of Mac OS X security. So, I have taken their advice very seriously, and have made the difficult decision to cancel our contest. I have been convinced that the risk of a virus on the OS X platform is not zero, although it is remarkably close to zero. More importantly, I have been convinced that there may be legality issues stemming from such a contest, beyond those terminated by our own legal counsel, prior to announcing the contest. So, despite my personal distaste for what some companies have done to take advantage of virus fears among the Mac community, and my own inclination to make a bold statement in response to those fears, I have responsible choice but to retract the contest, effective immediately."

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 04:19:41 am »
Damn right. Don't infect my computer.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline vursed