Author Topic: Ubuntu Problem  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Ubuntu Problem
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:26:05 pm »
Hi,

I downloaded the newest version of Ubuntu today and I'm having problems installing it. I let the installer run, and it does it's thing, and then nothing pops up after it's done. So I tried restarting and then it gave me an "Error loading operating system" message.

Has anybody had problems like this with the latest one?

Help would be great...

Thanks.

Edit: I deleted all the windows partions, and let the installer install the two Ubuntu partions.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:32:16 pm by Killer360 »

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:40 pm »
Sounds like GRUB didn't get installed... the installer doesn't seem to finish either eh?  I remember it finishing and asking me to restart. It even ejected the CD.

What did you expect with an incomplete installation?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:44 pm »
Sounds like a problem with GRUB.

Ok, I'm a total NOOB at Linux, are there any ways of trouble shooting?

Thanks for your reply...

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:30:10 pm »
Read my updated post.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 09:31:06 pm »

I didn't know what it was doing.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:39:44 pm »

Try reinstalling. If that fails, download the Ubuntu 6.06 w/ LTS and install that. That should work. :)
- Newby

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 09:41:53 pm »

Try reinstalling. If that fails, download the Ubuntu 6.06 w/ LTS and install that. That should work. :)

I've already tried reinstalling, so I guess I'm going back to the older version. :(

Thanks for your help. :)

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
Re: Ubuntu Problem
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 12:13:42 pm »
You can also install via the server version, then descide which desktop type you want..
Then install the desktop via the command line..

This assumes you have a working and active network configuration and have edited you're /etc/apt/sources.list, search google: "apt sources.list" for how to do this and what to change.
Then run: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

To get a gnome desktop:
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

To get a KDE desktop:
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

To get a XFCE Desktop:
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Then to fire up the desktop do:
startx

If you need to reconfigure screen resolutions or anything like that do via command line:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver.xorg
Update the values for the resolutions, and after the resolution selection where prompted to choose "medium" to pick you're default res's.
Leave the rest of the values as default, accept where you know what you're doing.
Any problems search google: "dpkg-reconfigure xserver.xorg"

Xubuntu is still in it's infancy and sort of depends on some gnome bits in places, so I would recommend setting up both the ubuntu(gnome) first, and then xubuntu(xfce) if you wish to use xubuntu and get the most out of it..

I've also had problems with the newest ubuntu(fiesty) ix86 installer in vmware a few times..
I use this method generally when installing (X)ubuntu now adays..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:52:19 pm by LordVader »

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu Problem
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 02:40:17 am »
Wait, can you be more clear about what's going on?

I've already tried reinstalling, so I guess I'm going back to the older version. :(

Thanks for your help. :)

So you had 6.06 LTS installed beforehand? Or did you never have it installed, and you're just choosing to install 6.06 LTS instead of 7.04? Before this whole fiasco with 7.04, what were your partitions like?

How did you install it? If you had 6.06 LTS installed previously, did you install 7.04 through apt-get, or did you download the iso and burn a DVD?

If you went the DVD route, did you use special ISO burning software to burn the iso onto the DVD?

The Ubuntu install CDs/DVD act as a livecd. That is, they start up as a livecd, present you with a desktop, and let you install it through a setup program located on that desktop. It will ask you about time, user names, pre-existing Ubuntu versions, and finally partitioning. Did the installer go through all of this? Did it confirm your partition changes?

If that's the case, then I guess what Newby said could be the case: it didn't install GRUB. Yet I haven't really heard of the installer failing to install GRUB... =\ If you can answer the above questions to provide more detail on your situation than I think we can start looking into whether it's GRUB or not and what to do then.

Note that when you install Windows and Linux the two override the computer's bootloader. The difference is that GRUB can recognize Windows, whereas Window's bootloader can't recognize Linux =-\ So make sure you install Linux after you install Windows to make sure you have GRUB. And eh, I admit I have no knowledge of how Vista does things, if any Windows ppl are going to bash on this...

EDIT: I'm aware this reply is very late >.>
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:42:01 am by Ender »