Author Topic: "MS Needs Your Card Details?"  (Read 3903 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
"MS Needs Your Card Details?"
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:49:05 am »
This is a pretty awesome social-engineering Trojan: http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/weblog/2007/05/ms_needs_your_credit_card_deta.html

Basically, it gives a very realistic interface saying that Windows needs your billing activation to re-activate. You can't enter task manager or anything. If you say no, your computer shuts down. If you say yes, you're required to enter a credit card number.

I thought this one was quite clever!

Image 1
Image 2

trust

Re: "MS Needs Your Card Details?"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 03:17:36 pm »
That is slick, the things I notice that make it look fraudulent are "your" not being capitalized in the second image, "Expiry date", having a colon after "Name on card" but nothing else, and...why would it require an ATM pin for Credit Card verification? Actually, how could they even use the ATM pin in a malicious way when they only have the CC information?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 11:08:55 am »
That's nice looking. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline cheeseisfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:48:38 am »
Not bad, but anybody that falls for this trick deserves it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:31:54 am »
I disagree. That's a well-thought out trick that looks extremely realistic, and is something that people could believe that Microsoft would ask for. I can't depend on my grandma understanding the difference, and it's definitely not her fault if she enters the information.

Offline cheeseisfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:20:16 pm »
I disagree. That's a well-thought out trick that looks extremely realistic, and is something that people could believe that Microsoft would ask for. I can't depend on my grandma understanding the difference, and it's definitely not her fault if she enters the information.

Then again, when it asks you to enter your ATM PIN number, that is pretty suspicious. Microsoft would have no need for your PIN number. I would never trust this.

I do believe that anybody that thinks that Microsoft would have a legitimate reason to have their PIN does indeed deserve to have their identity stolen. That's what I think--just my opinion.

The only reason anybody needs a PIN number is so that they can withdraw cash or use their credit card/debit card. What other reason would anybody need somebody else's PIN number? LOL.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 01:16:49 am »

Then again, when it asks you to enter your ATM PIN number, that is pretty suspicious. Microsoft would have no need for your PIN number. I would never trust this.

I do believe that anybody that thinks that Microsoft would have a legitimate reason to have their PIN does indeed deserve to have their identity stolen. That's what I think--just my opinion.

The only reason anybody needs a PIN number is so that they can withdraw cash or use their credit card/debit card. What other reason would anybody need somebody else's PIN number? LOL.
Just because someone is ignorant on the subject of credit cards doesn't necessarily mean they deserve to be punished. I am sure there are many things you are ignorant about too, but I highly doubt you need punishment for you lack of knowledge.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 01:23:47 am »
Just because someone is ignorant on the subject of credit cards doesn't necessarily mean they deserve to be punished. I am sure there are many things you are ignorant about too, but I highly doubt you need punishment for you lack of knowledge.

Like life. :D
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 01:38:11 pm »

I'm glad you're so educated. Not everybody is.

But yeah, the "PIN Number" field does go a little too far...